SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Advice on a B2510 Convertible Top problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-16, 11:55 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 488 Likes on 408 Posts
Default Advice on a B2510 Convertible Top problem?

My convertible top wouldn't go down. When you press the button, NOTHING happens. It didn't flash or anything.

I have access to Techstream and came up with a B2510 code, which is a "Short in Pulse Width Modulation Motor LH Circuit"

After many days of contemplation, I came to the conclusion the middle part of a motor might be caught on the outside. aka The cumulator is touching the stator? (not sure if those are the right terms, but they came up when I googled DC Motor)

So I disconnected each motor on the left hinge and scanned for codes each time. Finally when I disconnected this motor (The one the green wire is plugged into), the code disappeared.

So I tried the old "stuck starter thing" and tapped on it with a screwdriver. Sure enough that cleared up the code and my top started working again.

My question to the group is "Do I need to buy a new Motor/Hinge Assembly or will my fix work for awhile?"

As I type this post, I also remember I turn the black round dial on top of the motor. It was tight and I turned it so it was loose. I did both of those things at the same time, so I am not sure which one "fixed" the motor.

I don't know that much about electronics and read the code to mean there was a "short" in the motor, fixed by the tap. As I type up this post, I am wonder if it was trying to tell me the motor was out of synch with the right hand motor and turning the dial got it back in synch.

Does anyone know what the black dial does and which action got my top working?

I am open to any advice or opinions anyone might have.

Last edited by DshngDaryl; 07-18-16 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-18-16, 12:16 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 159 Posts

The word is commutator, not cumulator. Just an FYI.
Old 07-18-16, 02:31 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

....I'm not familiar with this, since I haven't had any top issues....BUT would like to congratulate you on your good work , in sorting through the code & issues. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on this subject will chime in. I personally wouldn't bother it, but would watch it closely. If the problem comes back, then do one of the procedures (you've done before) & see if this helps, if not, then try the other. Either way, your detective work may come in handy for other members.....also, you might start searching for the motor, just in case the problem comes back again
Old 07-18-16, 04:33 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Well, if there was a short in the motor, tapping it wouldn't help, unless the short was caused by two objects not normally near each somehow coming together to short out. If the tapping helped it, I'd guess that there was a mechanical problem unless there was a connection problem.
Old 07-18-16, 07:11 PM
1OldDog
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A DC Pulse Width Modulation Motor has brushes. The brushes sometimes loose contact with the commutator and sometimes tapping the motor will re-seat the brushes allowing them to make connection and run the motor.
Old 07-18-16, 07:47 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 212 Likes on 104 Posts

Another possibility. How often do you lower and raise the top? If it is infrequently, like once a
month or so, perhaps it just got stuck. Your troubleshooting / isolation process manually forced the
motor to rotate and then it started working again. My advice would be to use the top more often,
like twice a day for a couple of weeks. You'll either free things up and get them working normally
again or see that same fault again.

In my case the top always works well but every year when I take the SC out of winter hibernation, I
get auto-leveling headlight errors. They get less frequent after a week or so and disappear all
together by mid June.
Old 07-18-16, 07:51 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Good point 1OldDog!
Old 07-18-16, 11:05 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Thank you all for your help and kind words.i appreciate all your input and look forward to more.

Originally Posted by 1OldDog
A DC Pulse Width Modulation Motor has brushes. The brushes sometimes loose contact with the commutator and sometimes tapping the motor will re-seat the brushes allowing them to make connection and run the motor.

would you recommend replacing the brushes?
Old 07-19-16, 04:03 AM
1OldDog
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DashingDar
would you recommend replacing the brushes?
Not really,like FlopTop04 said, just exercise the top more often.
Old 07-19-16, 05:41 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 188 Likes on 159 Posts

would you recommend replacing the brushes?[/QUOTE]

It is unlikely that is even possible. These motors are normally sealed and trying to open one to replace the brushes is likely to ruin the motor.
Old 07-22-16, 01:41 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

ARGH! My top stopped working again! I guess I have to replace the motor/hinge
Old 07-25-16, 01:00 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Weird. New Day and It works again. I think it might be related to the bumps/potholes/speed bumps I go over in a normal course of a day. I think the jarring of everyday driving makes it stick or come loose. Anyone else have any other ideas?
Old 07-25-16, 02:09 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

You might make sure that everything is tightened down. It is possible that the jarring moves a sensor or connector around, if that is indeed what is making it work and not work.
Old 07-25-16, 06:44 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Good thought
Old 09-19-16, 11:42 PM
kushsharm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

H Dashing ,

How did you open "motor on the left hinge" is it easy to open?

Thanks
Kush

Originally Posted by DashingDar
My convertible top wouldn't go down. When you press the button, NOTHING happens. It didn't flash or anything.

I have access to Techstream and came up with a B2510 code, which is a "Short in Pulse Width Modulation Motor LH Circuit"

After many days of contemplation, I came to the conclusion the middle part of a motor might be caught on the outside. aka The cumulator is touching the stator? (not sure if those are the right terms, but they came up when I googled DC Motor)

So I disconnected each motor on the left hinge and scanned for codes each time. Finally when I disconnected this motor (The one the green wire is plugged into), the code disappeared.

So I tried the old "stuck starter thing" and tapped on it with a screwdriver. Sure enough that cleared up the code and my top started working again.

My question to the group is "Do I need to buy a new Motor/Hinge Assembly or will my fix work for awhile?"

As I type this post, I also remember I turn the black round dial on top of the motor. It was tight and I turned it so it was loose. I did both of those things at the same time, so I am not sure which one "fixed" the motor.

I don't know that much about electronics and read the code to mean there was a "short" in the motor, fixed by the tap. As I type up this post, I am wonder if it was trying to tell me the motor was out of synch with the right hand motor and turning the dial got it back in synch.

Does anyone know what the black dial does and which action got my top working?

I am open to any advice or opinions anyone might have.

Quick Reply: Advice on a B2510 Convertible Top problem?