GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Suggestions on running USB wire from radio...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-16, 11:59 AM
ShawnS93
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Suggestions on running USB wire from radio...

Hey guys, my name's Shawn! I'm new to the CL but I've been using this forum for a while now to solve my problems with my 1999 GS300 I'm pretty thankful for you members in the past that have indirectly provided my dad and I with answers--so here goes my first post: I'd like some suggestions on where to run a USB port wire coming from the BACK of my aftermarket radio to an accessible place, within reach of my hand while driving. Thank you!
Old 07-25-16, 12:27 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

your ashtray. Be creative. I made this for another member for his extra components

Name:  27.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  34.1 KB

However, there are better options out there that would be easier to install. What deck do you have so I can see what inputs you have in the rear?

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 07-25-16 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-25-16, 12:51 PM
ShawnS93
Driver School Candidate

Hey Mr. Jokester, thanks for the timely reply I'm in the process of getting a Kenwood eXcelon DDX793, double-DIN aftermarket radio (it's pretty cool!). The only downside I saw was the USB being at the rear, so I'm preemptively looking for suggestions on where to run it before it gets delivered taking the initiative!
Old 07-25-16, 12:53 PM
ShawnS93
Driver School Candidate

Also, I sincerely thank you for the pictures! Very cool designs; sleek and no-nonsense. Hm, wish I could just order one that you've made, haha
Old 07-25-16, 01:27 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Nice deck!

Are you set on using a USB, or would you consider something more universal to use your phone, mp3 player or iPod?

This kit would allow you to plug into the aux port of the deck and install a flush mount aux port anywhere on your dash (even inside your actual ashtray).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peripheral-P...EAAOSwXBFXPm7c

In this pic is that aux port the way it would look like installed anywhere that you do:

If you want to stay with using the USB, you can get a kit like this:

http://www.newark.com/l-com/wpusbax-...FU6VfgodlH4Auw

Or this kit to have both USB and auxiliary:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rerii-1-Mete...wAAOSwjwlXBS0p

The whole idea of these kits is so you dont have wires hanging out eveywhere. It gives you a nice clean flush look anywhere you mount it. Also, because most people plug and unplug their devices all the time, the wires can and will get damaged (we've all experienced that, especially with our charge cords) this allows you to easily replace the outer cord without having to remove the deck every time to replace the cord. Make sense?

Old 07-25-16, 01:36 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Now that I think of it. Just like the pic above with the aux port in the same spot as that factory deck, you'll have room on the dash kit you buy for your deck to do the same thing. Just a matter of drilling a hole on the side and installing the port.

Heres the dash kit and 6 red dot locations to install any port

It'll look like it came that way from factory
Old 07-25-16, 05:00 PM
mizike
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been looking for a couple weeks now for a new head unit for my Lexus I recently bought, and I keep going back to the Pioneer NEX versions, they come with fast GPS navigation included, so you can cut down on the clutter, and not need a GARMIN. The NEX versions 5300, 5100 etc in the same price point and have excellent sound, refurbs on ebay or new 5100 in same price with gps. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-AVIC...4AAOSw3mpXMiHJ If you dont need Navigation, And if you are using AMPS, you wont need the excelon you could get what you want and not have the hard to see touch screen, save money, front usb etc http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/receiver/dpx502bt/ Of course the excelon is solid and running the usb is pretty easy or using the AUX like they said. I was comparing the kenwood for awhile now and the Pioneer with GPS keeps winning me over. EXCELON though has great sound, but that damn HD RADIO is really worth it too. Either way you will love it.
Old 07-25-16, 07:11 PM
ShawnS93
Driver School Candidate

Thank you guys so much! Man, all these suggestions are everything I can ask for I'll definitely think outside of the box for this one, I'm definitely not above drilling holes into the face plate, just gotta be reeeeal careful haha and for that pioneer model! I was about to go with a pioneer until I fell upon this one, but I'll definitely take a look at the one suggested thank you guys!
Old 07-25-16, 07:26 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Just remember, when drilling the hole, its best to start too small and slowly increase the size till you get the right size. Obviously dont go to big, or its over

Thats where these come in hand:

Old 07-25-16, 07:31 PM
ShawnS93
Driver School Candidate

Mr Jokester, you've been quite the help--and then some! I want to sincerely thank you for your help buddy, I wish I could offer help on one of your projects haha
Old 07-25-16, 07:36 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

No problem good sir I rarely need help though, dont feel bad LoL
Old 07-25-16, 07:56 PM
mizike
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I was looking, I did order the Pioneer after posting a reply to yours lol, I just really do not want to keep my GARMIN GPS as well with a HEAD UNIT and it took ALOT of searching to find a Head Unit where people Loved the fast GPS on it. Most had lag or you used the android maps, or phone GPS which would kill your data, so it became a no brainer. The NEX has some great quality audio and the GPS just pushes it over the edge. I got this one but a Manufacture Refurb for 399 on Ebay. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1305200...C-5200NEX.html Couldnt pass it up
Old 07-25-16, 08:24 PM
ShawnS93
Driver School Candidate

Mizike! That head unit looks superb and the built in GPS is definitely a boss feature! Wish I would've found it before I put my SonicElectronix store credit from my previous head unit towards the Kenwood!! XD Still, I'll be paying 20-22 bucks for the upgrade, so I'm pretty happy about that