IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF gets a new garage

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-16, 11:39 AM
Blizzard81
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
My floor already has a gray "garage floor paint" that looks horrible - flaking, peeling, and non-existent under the spots where the car tires sit (I have parking stops installed to position the cars, so they sit very close the same place all the time). Would this require a full strip, pressure wash and acid wash for the coating to adhere? Will it degrade quickly at the tire spots the way the current coating does?

I am planning a huge garage makeover, and I have 12' ceilings (the wife insisted on being able to put a lift in the garage when we bought the house, she hates me working under jack stands), so a lift is definitely part of the plan. I am wondering about coatings now.
You will have to make sure you strip any paint or coating before applying a true epoxy coat. Otherwise it wont last long. You may have to acid or grind it off. Oil needs to be removed too. Also dont cheap out on the epoxy. The hardware store kits for just over 100 dollars are very little epoxy and will last a short time before you have to fix them. Get 100 percent solids epoxy. Its much more expensive but will last and not peel.
Old 07-25-16, 12:01 PM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My floor already has a gray "garage floor paint" that looks horrible - flaking, peeling, and non-existent under the spots where the car tires sit (I have parking stops installed to position the cars, so they sit very close the same place all the time). Would this require a full strip, pressure wash and acid wash for the coating to adhere? Will it degrade quickly at the tire spots the way the current coating does?

I am planning a huge garage makeover, and I have 12' ceilings (the wife insisted on being able to put a lift in the garage when we bought the house, she hates me working under jack stands), so a lift is definitely part of the plan. I am wondering about coatings now.
Originally Posted by Blizzard81
You will have to make sure you strip any paint or coating before applying a true epoxy coat. Otherwise it wont last long. You may have to acid or grind it off. Oil needs to be removed too. Also dont cheap out on the epoxy. The hardware store kits for just over 100 dollars are very little epoxy and will last a short time before you have to fix them. Get 100 percent solids epoxy. Its much more expensive but will last and not peel.
Pretty much what Blizzard said. Under pretty much all circumstances you would want to bring the concrete to an original type condition (if possible) and open the "pores" of the concrete so that there is something more for the covering to grip to. Ideally you'd want to coat new concrete that has had enough time to fully cure.

The stain I brought up earlier is a solvent based stain and sticks/soaks-in very well. It's also highly protective against things like salt. It does require 4 to 7 days to fully cure though but you can recoat after a day. It's not horrible on price either and you can get it in probably any colors to match or contrast walls. It's not particularly fun to work with and I'd just roll it on with several throw-away rollers unless you feel like cleaning the roller and covers with a solvent.
Old 07-25-16, 12:31 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,343 Posts

(the wife insisted on being able to put a lift in the garage when we bought the house, she hates me working under jack stands), so a lift is definitely part of the plan. I am wondering about coatings now.
A pit has always been my dream But, sigh, it will go unfulfilled. As far as coatings go, I have an epoxy coating, but made the mistake of not getting roughing material installed with it. It is extremely slippery and you need to be careful when walking on it. I made the mistake, one time only, of hurrying from my car into the house when I forgot something, and boom, I went down.

Lou
Old 07-25-16, 03:07 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Nice! She got a sister??

-Mike
Old 07-25-16, 03:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have high ceilings in the garage too. No lift. Just dealership service. Its too damn hot to work on a car in AZ anyway LOL
Old 07-26-16, 06:32 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Its too damn hot to work on a car in AZ anyway LOL
It's been too damn hot for that around here lately, too.. I know that car thermometers tend to read a bit high, but this was moving along on the freeway, not sitting in a hot parking lot!

-Mike

Old 07-27-16, 09:19 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Congrats Peleg! The garage looks awesome. I'm very happy for you! The epoxy came out looking really good!
Old 07-27-16, 07:12 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
Congrats Peleg! The garage looks awesome. I'm very happy for you! The epoxy came out looking really good!
Appreciate it man!
Old 07-29-16, 05:03 AM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Love the floor! I'm really thinking of doing this in my garage. Nice tankless water heater too.......yes I'm a plumber lol
Old 08-01-16, 02:03 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisp1
Love the floor! I'm really thinking of doing this in my garage. Nice tankless water heater too.......yes I'm a plumber lol
I had my massive old type replaced last year and they wanted to do a tankless set up but I told him to just replace what's there . He looked at me like I was crazy . She is the largest you can get I think . BIG *** HOUSE lol
Also added some pics of my garage too
Attached Thumbnails ISF gets a new garage-photo674.jpg   ISF gets a new garage-photo981.jpg   ISF gets a new garage-photo353.jpg   ISF gets a new garage-photo165.jpg  
Old 08-02-16, 11:27 AM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

^^^^^
Not enough ceiling height there for a lift.

Nice pictures, though.
Old 08-02-16, 05:40 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm trying to bank of the referral program, 2 of the neighbors already expressed interest in this setup.

Definitely worth the $2300.
Old 08-02-16, 08:05 PM
dwin888
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, for the lifter how many PSI was your concrete floor? I'm currently building my home and I'm planning on putting a few lifters
Old 08-02-16, 08:15 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

6" min. slab depth required for 2 post type.
Old 08-02-16, 10:00 PM
dwin888
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, but what about the psi rating of the slab?

Quick Reply: ISF gets a new garage