Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Regardless of technology, year, make, model, what is your favorite luxury car . . .

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-16, 09:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Wow you guys sure like old cars. There are no old cars I prefer to new cars.
one of my faves right now in terms of looks and capabilities and luxury is this... I think it's fabulous.

Old 08-09-16, 07:35 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

1999 W140 S600. W126 560SEL is close. I love my LS430 more than a person should probably love a car, but let's be honest it's invisible by comparison.

Last edited by AJT123; 08-09-16 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-10-16, 10:14 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

AM Rapide S if money was not factor. Rare, killer looks, V12.

Old 08-10-16, 10:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Wow you guys sure like old cars.
That's because they were comfort-oriented to an extent that just doesn't happen with the firmer seats/suspensions/chassis/tires of today. Some of us liked to sink down deep into soft velour seats and float over bumps and road irregularities.....although those old luxury cars admittedly lacked some of the convenience items commonly found today. Nevertheless, the big Deuce-and-a-Quarter (Buick Electra 225) I owned in my late teens, even though rough, worn-out, and used, was pure relaxation and pleasure at the end of a hard working day (and, yes, I worked back then)

However, I also see your viewpoint....and respect your opinion on it. There were many improvements made to cars over the years, even if some of those improvements (such as better handling and steering) took away the soft float-comfort that many traditionalists prefer.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-10-16 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-10-16, 10:39 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Some of us liked to sink down deep into soft velour seats and float over bumps and road irregularities.....

Old 08-10-16, 11:12 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

actually i take it back, THIS is my favorite luxury car

complete with wingback chairs!

they're so easy to get in and out of you know...
Old 08-10-16, 11:40 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

1993 Lexus SC400. My first Lexus - it was pretty fast for the time, handled well, and was totally reliable when most cars weren't. I loved the body style and think it still looks good today.
Old 08-10-16, 10:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

I agree, stunning. If I had no family I would have one of these no doubt.

one of my faves right now in terms of looks and capabilities and luxury is this... I think it's fabulous.

Old 08-13-16, 12:54 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Say what you want, but this seat was the most comfortable car seat I've ever sat in. I did a 9 hour slog from Chicago to Nashville in that car, best automotive seating I've ever plopped my butt into. You sank down into the seat, but there was a layer of harder foam and springs that supported you over that long trip. Just a great road car, btw I got 25mpg doing 74-75mph in that car. I was damn impressed,

Also that Cadillac handled pretty damn well for a car of that size. It had the trailer tow package with a slightly stiffer suspension, I could chuck that damn 4100lb car into a corner with great precision and it would stick, not roll over on its door handles or plow to the guardrail. The 1995 Fleetwood I had wished it was as agile as that old 1991, that 1995 rolled a lot more in the corners and just felt a lot less secure around a curve.

Last edited by Aron9000; 08-13-16 at 04:57 AM.
Old 08-13-16, 07:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Say what you want, but this seat was the most comfortable car seat I've ever sat in. I did a 9 hour slog from Chicago to Nashville in that car, best automotive seating I've ever plopped my butt into. You sank down into the seat, but there was a layer of harder foam and springs that supported you over that long trip. Just a great road car, btw I got 25mpg doing 74-75mph in that car. I was damn impressed,
Yep.....I'm with you on that. Outside of the RR/Bentley/Maybach class, older American luxury cars wrote the book on comfort.

Also that Cadillac handled pretty damn well for a car of that size. It had the trailer tow package with a slightly stiffer suspension, I could chuck that damn 4100lb car into a corner with great precision and it would stick, not roll over on its door handles or plow to the guardrail. The 1995 Fleetwood I had wished it was as agile as that old 1991, that 1995 rolled a lot more in the corners and just felt a lot less secure around a curve.
The Fleetwood actually handled better than its Buick Roadmaster cousin. I test-drove a Roadmaster back in the early 1990s. It rolled like a beach ball and squealed its tires with virtually any significant steering input. But man, what a soft ride.
Old 08-13-16, 07:40 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
AM Rapide S if money was not factor. Rare, killer looks, V12.

I always found this car to be rather odd. It's a great idea, sure. But Aston Martin's have always been a 2 door coupe thing to me in my head. So seeing a large, panamera looking, Aston Martin just makes me feel kinda weird about the whole idea haha.
Old 08-13-16, 08:22 AM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
I always found this car to be rather odd. It's a great idea, sure. But Aston Martin's have always been a 2 door coupe thing to me in my head. So seeing a large, panamera looking, Aston Martin just makes me feel kinda weird about the whole idea haha.
It's a modern Lagonda, hahaha.
Old 08-13-16, 10:31 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Tro209
Littleguy is correct, the Aston Martin Lagonda has been around for many years from 1976-1990 and even before that the 1961-1964 Lagonda Rapide laid the groundwork for the aforementioned Lagonda and our modern Rapide S. There are also a few custom Lagonda Taraf's based on the current Rapide S.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagonda_Rapide

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aston_Martin_Lagonda

Lagonda Taraf
Old 08-13-16, 10:36 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Littleguy is correct, the Aston Martin Lagonda has been around for many years from 1976-1990 and even before that the 1961-1964 Lagonda Rapide laid the groundwork for the aforementioned Lagonda and our modern Rapide S. There are also a few custom Lagonda Taraf's based on the current Rapide S.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagonda_Rapide

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aston_Martin_Lagonda

Lagonda Taraf
Not saying it's an ugly car or anything, just saying that to me, personally, I have always pictured the Aston Martin as being a coupe. Im in my early 20's though so Im not too familiar with older cars from makes such as Aston. But the original lagonda definitely does look nice.. I just think all the more modern styled Aston Martin's such as the vantage look much better. But then again, I think most coupes look nicer than their sedan counterparts.

Originally Posted by Littleguy
It's a modern Lagonda, hahaha.
Old 08-13-16, 01:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000

have no doubt that caddy was comfortable! i personally won't ever drive 9 hours without stopping a few times and taking stretches/walks anyway. my explorer had THE most comfortable seats i've been in for long distances. zero backache or anything regardless of how many hours i drove it.

as for handling well, if you thought it did, fine, and it may have for the primitive suspension it had.

i'll take the adaptive suspensions of today, or even non-adaptive suspensions are far superior than anything in the past.

Quick Reply: Regardless of technology, year, make, model, what is your favorite luxury car . . .