Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Stains/Discoloration of Leather Seat

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-16, 05:56 PM
mrpink13
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Jug of water? That stain is too widespread to come from just a jug of water.

All that staining looks like it likely came from the fabric dye in someone's new and never washed [navy] clothing that was wet from sweat or having been rained on.

Are you sure your wife didn't give someone (that was real sweaty) a ride home after playing tennis?

I'm not so sure even a leather expert will be able to get that [dye] stain out...
seems that people are implying she was riding some dude in the passenger seat in a very nice way. theyre just lookin out for ya buddy.
Old 08-22-16, 06:49 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,515 Posts

Originally Posted by mrpink13
dude, i need two of those. how much/where??
$37.95 plus shipping - Choice of Gray, Tan of Black

Here ya go ► Seat Armour - Towel Seat Cover with Lexus Logo

Old 08-22-16, 08:53 PM
mrpink13
Rookie

$37.95 plus shipping - Choice of Gray, Tan of Black

Here ya go ► Seat Armour - Towel Seat Cover with Lexus Logo

thank you. getting these for camping, gym, and taking my car to the dealer!!! maybe a dog. can u get them to sit still in cars?
Old 08-23-16, 12:22 AM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Can light color leather that is stained be re-dyed?
I have tan interior in my GX and driver seat had the blue jeans color left over, got it re-dyed from a local car guy and it looks like new.
Old 08-23-16, 03:30 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Can light color leather that is stained be re-dyed?
Yes I would think so as it is all a dye that is used to make the leather.
Old 08-23-16, 04:47 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It looks to me like she is telling the truth. What you are seeing is dye transfer from blue jeans and once the seat got wet so did the dye. This caused the dye to go from a uniform coverage to a non uniform coverage and you see what you see in the picture. Unfortunately no real fix. You can try and have a detailer use Leathereque but I don't think that will be able to get it all out. Your best bet is to have and upholstery shop re dye the leather.
Old 08-23-16, 07:10 AM
krawfo
Driver

Thanks for all the comments. Looks like I'm going to have to search for someone to re-dye this mess. Any recommendations in Atlanta?
Old 08-23-16, 08:07 AM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggu
It looks to me like she is telling the truth. What you are seeing is dye transfer from blue jeans and once the seat got wet so did the dye. This caused the dye to go from a uniform coverage to a non uniform coverage and you see what you see in the picture. Unfortunately no real fix. You can try and have a detailer use Leathereque but I don't think that will be able to get it all out. Your best bet is to have and upholstery shop re dye the leather.
This x10000000

My old boss wore some brand new Farm and fleet blue jeans in my car. He's a larger guy and sweat thru his jeans and the dye transferred to my seats.. It's a daily reminder and i need to get it re-dyed one day
Old 08-23-16, 08:31 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

My RX had the light gray leather, and blue jean dye transfer was always an issue. However, it always cleaned off really easily with some Leather Masters cleaner. Granted, in my case it was nothing this severe, but maybe something like that would help reduce the stain.
Old 08-23-16, 09:41 AM
Wincer94
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

That's a really bad stain. How does a leaking jug in the back seat get the front passenger seat wet? Maybe jug in the back of the front passenger seat? Was it grape juice or purple drink? It looks more like someone spilled half a gallon of liquid on someone's lap who's wearing dark blue brand new raw jeans while sitting on the front passenger seat and just sat there for at least an hour. Playing tennis on raw dark jeans absorbing all the sweat then sitting on the passenger seat? The leg area of the seat should be stained as well but looks like just the butt area.
Old 08-23-16, 09:43 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

The picture posted in the original post is of a rear seat, not the front passenger seat.
Old 08-23-16, 09:48 AM
Wincer94
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Ok, my bad. I thought it was the front seat. What color interior leather is that?
Old 08-23-16, 12:47 PM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggu
Who was sitting in the rear seat with blue jeans on while it was still moist? or do you mean it was already "blue" from previous occupants, and then the water, once dried cause that stain? Kinda makes sense.
Old 08-23-16, 01:03 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,515 Posts

Re-Dye Car Leather Beware!

Old 08-23-16, 03:05 PM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GregCanada
Who was sitting in the rear seat with blue jeans on while it was still moist? or do you mean it was already "blue" from previous occupants, and then the water, once dried cause that stain? Kinda makes sense.
second part of that. the blue jean dye will transfer and you may not even notice it. I have Alpine White leather in my ISF and I make anyone with jeans sit on a towel so there is no dye transfer.

Quick Reply: Stains/Discoloration of Leather Seat