GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Windshield questions, repairs, replacements

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-16 | 08:30 AM
sfuad
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by S2k4
The "cheap" $558 one is Chinese made and is of lesser quality and quite a bit brighter on the eyes. Since my deductible is $500, I wound up going with the OEM.
Wow. Luckily there is $0 deductible for glass damage in Florida. Never paid any thing to replace the broken windscreen.
Old 07-20-16 | 01:51 PM
jpcdmd
Advanced

Just had mine replaced with OEM glass. $0 deductible. 2014 GX 35k miles. Have used Safelite glass previously on my LS430 but decided to request OEM from now on.
Old 08-29-16 | 04:44 PM
drcwks
Driver School Candidate

Default GX460 2014 Help indentify Windshield sensors function

I have a GX460 2014 and I have to have my windshield replaced. OEM Lexus Windshield from what Safe-lite says. Only has a rain sensor on it by the rear view mirror. I have 2 more sensors. On top right. Please see picture. or will try and upload a link. What are these for? Safe Lite says they are not factory or on OEM windshield. I was told they think they are just applied with adhesive and can remove them and replace.

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-29-16 | 05:02 PM
jpcdmd
Advanced

They are for the Lexus remote start system (starting the car with your key fob).
Old 08-29-16 | 05:20 PM
drcwks
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jpcdmd
They are for the Lexus remote start system (starting the car with your key fob).
Both sensors are for remote start with FOB? I'm having trouble with my iphone app and wondered if ONE of these is for that app? This was NOT an after market sensor. It was factory installed. I wonder
why SAFE-LITE says they weren't factory. My remote start WORKS with the FOB but NOT with the iphone app. I'm current and up to date on account and close to cell tower.
Thanks for your input.
Old 08-29-16 | 05:42 PM
Norman53
10th Gear

Default Windshield sensor

They are for the smartphone remote start app. RES+
Old 08-29-16 | 06:01 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

The window antennas came up here a while back (used for the app). Safelitite should have knowledge of this.

Old 08-29-16 | 06:23 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Found the link.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...indshield.html
Old 08-30-16 | 05:10 AM
drcwks
Driver School Candidate

Great. Thanks for the link. Looks like the far right senior is a little different. I don't know why safe lite wasn't aware of this either. They said OEM ONLY had the rain sensor. Lexus IS ordering me a module for the RES+ to replace whatever I have. They didn't even trouble shoot it. Said they had a bulletin?? And a new part was in order. I'll just have them take care of the windshield too. I just thought Safelite would do a better job of windshield replacement since that is all they do. Lexus will send it out to a local body shop. My RES+ was a port installed option along with my tow package.
Old 08-30-16 | 06:16 AM
tamermido1
Pit Crew

Safellite are not very knowledgeable with it comes to these options. They may know their glass well but when it comes to these sort of options, they wouldn't know.
Old 09-01-16 | 10:56 AM
drcwks
Driver School Candidate

I contacted the body shop the local Lexus dealer uses for windshield replacements. He indicated to be that the factory glass would either say Lexus or Toyota. I guess the specs should be the same? I know Toyota makes Lexus. I'm not sure why the replacement windshield would say TOYOTA if it doesn't really fit A Toyota model equivalent of the GX460.

Then it's still a mystery to LEXUS here in town. I understood from the parts dept manager/tech that there was ONLY one antenna available to order. That's when I showed him there are (2) on my windshield. The Body shop indicated the one with the fine wires epoxied to the windshield would NOT be reusable...and I believe THAT is the one that is NOT on LEXUS parts list available to order. How can this RES+ option be factory installed or POI Port Option INstalled and NOT be available 2 years later??? Will post when I hear a more definitive answer. I can't believe I have the ONLY Lexus with these sensors/antennas
Old 09-01-16 | 04:53 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Thanks for the update
Old 09-01-16 | 05:34 PM
jpcdmd
Advanced

I just replaced the windshield on my 2014 GX. It has both of these sensors. When the guy came out to replace the glass with OEM Lexus glass, he noticed the sensors and said I'd have to get the sensors installed at the dealer. Yes they are factory Lexus sensors but they are dealer-installed. The aftermarket windshield companies do not install them. So I took the car to the dealer, the windshield guy replaced the glass, then the Lexus guys installed the sensors. My insurance took care of everything since I have glass coverage. as far as being for the fob or RES+ or both I don't know. I don't use the phone app. I've used the fob a couple times to start. All I know is that they were for the remote start system (which I barely use so I really don't care about it lol).
Old 09-02-16 | 09:48 AM
drcwks
Driver School Candidate

I sure hear a lot about special windshield insurance. Maybe I need to check into that since I'm retired now and putting more miles than I ever have in a new car. My Lexus windshield total cost is $1394. I did notice some posts say they actually got their windshield replace right at the Lexus dealership which is nice since you get a loaner car. I have to have a local body shop they use to have it replaced and of course no loaner car. Just a minor inconvenience.
Anyway. I originally had this RES+ option installed so I could start my car from 100 yards away while at work and during and ice snow storm I wouldn't have to scrape my windshield at minus 5 degrees wind chill����:-)
but retired sooner than expected but it's nice to check your locks at night if traveling and staying at hotel. Etc.
More follow up soon

Old 09-15-16 | 09:00 AM
drcwks
Driver School Candidate

Okay… Here’s the latest update on my Windshield replacement and my RES+ option for my GX460 2014. The body shop ordered a factory windshield with rain sensor and my total cost was $1394 installed. Then LEXUS wanted to install the 2 antennas.. YES… The MODULE was already installed before the windshield was replaced and I was able to log on to app and see my car at the body shop. So I knew the original antennas were working with the new module before they replaced them. Then LEXUS installed the 2 antennas and confirmed my RES+ used them both. Not sure why 2. I did notice on my app when it was back at LEXUS and in the middle of installing the new antennas...I logged on to RES+ app that it showed NO GPS but still had the OLD temp and it still had the unlock or locked field filled out. When LEXUS called it was ready I got on my app and it worked just fine seeing outside temp and where my car was GPS map. Lexus charged me $500+ to install the antennas. So total cost was $1900….. Pretty expensive.Once at LEXUS.. I then tried to lock the door and start my car and that worked fine…. Very quick on the app. Within 15 secs after logging on and initiating a command. I WISH I was able to check out the email feature when the alarm goes off to notify me…..Sooooo…. All was working when I left. I’m back on the road and cringed every time I’m near a semi. So I’m out of town now and I log in to RES+ app and NOW I get the OLD screen and it says COMMUNICATION with the vehicle was interrupted. Please try again later. And panel behind that says NO GPS….but also NOTHING in the OUTSIDE temperature field and nothing in the lock or unlocked field….. SO…. I’m certain the module has already FAILED!!! Same exact pop up error. I have cell service and tried this in many locations. MUST be an inherent problem with this system.So I’m not sure what my next step will be. Take it to the dealership here or ask LEXUS for my money back on this option.Does anyone know any aftermarket companies that install a similar system with iPhone access?? I don’t think I want them to install another module ….this is such a hassle.

Quick Reply: Windshield questions, repairs, replacements