Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla Model S Refreshed

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-16, 01:22 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Toyota didn't wait until the hybrid became mainstream to jump into the market, auto makers that did have never really caught up. Same thing will happen in the EV sector but this time Toyota will be behind the 8-ball.
It's also possible that competitors didn't really jump onto hybrids early on because they didn't want to due to the compromises that hybrids face like: trunk volume reduction, excess weight and its effects on handling, roadholding, and the extra costs involved.
Rather than hybrids, competitors probably focused on alternative technologies like: diesels and small capacity turbos.
These alternative technologies like diesels and small capacity turbos don't have fantastic economy, but they also don't suffer from trunk volume reductions, excess weight, its effects on handling/roadholding, and the significant extra costs involved in a gasoline-electric hybrid.

However, I have a feeling with emerging technologies like hydrogen fuel cell HFCV and battery powered electric vehicles BEV, the entire market will have to learn to accept cabin/trunk size reductions, extra weight concomitant with handling and roadholding reductions, and extra costs.

For example, hydrogen fuel cell vehicles have the huge hydrogen gas tank beneath the rear seats, but the Mirai also has two batteries: one beneath the front seats, and the second behind the rear seats, giving the vehicle a total weight of over 1,800 kg [around 4,000 lbs], for modest acceleration of 0-60 MPH in 9.0 with a 700 km [around 450 mile] range.
Likewise, the Tesla Model S, the batteries under the floor compromise cabin height and volume, and the vehicle ends up weighing 2,200 kg [nearly 5,000 lbs]; with the Model S, range is compromised for acceleration.
Thus, both these new emerging technologies compromise cabin/trunk space, and added weight which will compromise the agility and the terminal grip, plus increase tire and brake pad wear.

On the other hand, conventional internal combustion engines ICE will go down in history as the lightweight handling & road holding champions, with less tire and brake pad wear, and with a greater cabin/trunk space combination not found in these new emerging technologies.
So we should all enjoy our space, handling, roadholding, and low tire & brake pad wear in our ICE's - while we can...

Last edited by peteharvey; 05-14-16 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-24-16, 04:44 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Scary that electric vehicles like the Model S will replace conventional ICE's just around the corner.

Old 05-24-16, 04:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

I saw the refreshed Model S the other day, in person I like it better than the pre-refresh car.
Old 06-10-16, 08:33 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

http://www.msn.com/en-au/money/compa...cid=spartanntp
Old 06-10-16, 09:03 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

The article is useless. Time and time again, it has been proven that not everyone cares about reliability as being the number one factor in buying a car.
Old 06-10-16, 01:04 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The article is useless. Time and time again, it has been proven that not everyone cares about reliability as being the number one factor in buying a car.
Jill, it will be interesting to go back to this thread in four years time, and see if Tesla is still around, or if Tesla has been bought out by some other major car company, or if Tesla will give up on chassis development and restrict themselves to just batteries & drive train development only.

I'm willing to bet you $100 bucks that Tesla won't last, but I'm not willing to bet my life on that.
Will be interesting to see the outcome.
Experienced chassis developers versus Tesla - a young upstart in chassis development...
Old 06-10-16, 01:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Tesla is not just any upstart, its a passion upstart that is backed by one of the richest people in the world. Its not something he's doing simply to try and make money, he wants to change the world. Tesla isn't going anywhere.
Old 06-10-16, 01:12 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Let's wait & see how Tesla pans out as the major manufacturers release their EV's in the next several years....
Old 06-10-16, 01:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Let's wait & see how Tesla pans out as the major manufacturers release their EV's in the next several years....
Here's just the point...why are major manufacturers releasing EVs? Because of Tesla. Their success is Elon Musk's success.
Old 06-10-16, 01:43 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Here's just the point...why are major manufacturers releasing EVs? Because of Tesla. Their success is Elon Musk's success.
Yes. I'm very grateful to Tesla for kick starting the electric vehicles market!
Myself, I'd rather an EV, than do 0-60 in 9 seconds in some hydrogen fuel cell vehicle with a 700 mile range.
Of course, hydrogen fuel cell will advance over time, but they still won't be the same as EV over the next 10 years.

However, as the major manufacturers release their EV competition, I wouldn't want to bet my life that Tesla will still exist in its current form.
I wouldn't be surprised if they become bought out, or restrict their business to drive train development & supply only...
Old 09-02-16, 02:22 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Now, the refreshed nose has really grown on me, while the original nose looks old, bland, and messy...

Old 09-02-16, 02:26 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

There's a new one in my parking lot at work. At first I didn't even notice the difference (less obvious on the dark color), but I'm more aware now. I think it looks pretty good.
Old 09-02-16, 03:52 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Looks great. No need to even mimic a grill anymore. Very unique to see Tesla design start to make inroads into the present and their future
Old 09-28-16, 07:13 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Dutch Firm Turned A Tesla Model S Into A Hearse

Not a fan of those procrustean Maserati Ghibli and Porsche Panamera hearses, but, for whatever reason, are still looking for something out of the ordinary when it comes to funeral cars? Don’t fret, as Holland’s Remetzcar has you covered.

The stretch limousine and hearse coachbuilder introduced the most electrifying funeral coach we’ve seen so far by sacrificing a Tesla Model S that was presented in a world premiere at the Uitvaart Vakbeurs 2016, which is Dutch for “Funeral Exhibition” – well, where else did you expect it to debut, at the Paris Auto Show?

Remetzcar says that after sawing the Tesla Model S in half and removing the batteries from under the car, they safely extended its body by 800mm or 31.5 inches, for a total length of 5,770mm or 227.2 inches.

The company stated that while keeping the original front compartment intact (the only place you really want to be in this car), the rear part of the “cabin” was outfitted with a “classy décor” and a manually retractable floor to transport one coffin along with a “practical storage space under the floor”.
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/09/a-d...el-s-into.html
Old 09-28-16, 11:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

for when you want a really quiet sendoff...

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Refreshed