SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Question for those who did your own timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-16, 04:00 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Question for those who did your own timing belt

I replaced my timing belt and water pump yesterday. Once I took the car off the lift, I found a small rubber piece on the garage floor. I know it isn't a critical part, but I'm somewhat a perfectionist and want to know what piece it came from. I never saw this part on any component I removed so it must have fallen off a part as I removed it from the car.

Since it's channel shaped, It looks like it slipped onto the edge of a part to make a seal. So the question to all you have been here before me, do you recognize it?

Last edited by Poqman; 09-08-16 at 05:23 AM.
Old 09-06-16, 05:45 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

It's blurry, can you take more photos at different angles...I get the size, lay it on a table when you snap more pics.
Old 09-06-16, 05:47 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Does it belong with the timing belt cam cover?

Originally Posted by Poqman
I replaced my timing belt and water pump yesterday. Once I took the car off the lift, I found a small plastic piece on the garage floor. I know it isn't a critical part, but I'm somewhat a perfectionist and want to know what piece it came from. I never saw this part on any component I removed so it must have fallen off a part as I removed it from the car.

Since it's channel shaped, It looks like it slipped onto the edge of a part to make a seal. So the question to all you have been here before me, do you recognize it?

Last edited by Bgw70; 09-07-16 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-06-16, 11:43 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Thanks Bgw70 for looking. I remember installing the part you show. It was about 4" long x 2" deep with a square cut on one end and a sloped cut on the other and was a rigid plastic that slid into place using an open channel slot similar to my extra part. The plastic crankshaft gear cover mated against the part you point out. Here are more pictures.

The part is a rubber that I can squeeze and pinch in the two sides so I believe it is part of a dust shield for the timing belt. It definitely reminds me of a part that would be used to seal an area around the timing belt enclosure. I remember the cam gear enclosures had a continuous gasket around the mating surface so I ruled this part out as being a part of the cam gear enclosures.
Old 09-06-16, 11:53 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

BTW, your thread from 3/19/15 was awesome to help me plan and prepare for my own timing belt replacement. When the crank bolt did not break free with the impact wrench, I used your design for a special tool to hold the crank. Thanks for that post too!
Old 09-06-16, 03:57 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks Bgw70 for looking. I remember installing the part you show. It was about 4" long x 2" deep with a square cut on one end and a sloped cut on the other and was a rigid plastic that slid into place using an open channel slot similar to my extra part. The plastic crankshaft gear cover mated against the part you point out. Here are more pictures.

The part is a rubber that I can squeeze and pinch in the two sides so I believe it is part of a dust shield for the timing belt. It definitely reminds me of a part that would be used to seal an area around the timing belt enclosure. I remember the cam gear enclosures had a continuous gasket around the mating surface so I ruled this part out as being a part of the cam gear enclosures.
That is a gasket for the timing belt covers, well.. I'm 90% certain it is.
Old 09-06-16, 04:40 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

KuWuPt, I think you're right. I just can't seem to place it as I move around the perimeter. I'm guessing that the worse that can happen from this part being left off is that the potential for dirt may enter the TB enclosure.
Old 09-06-16, 09:57 PM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

KuWuPt, I think you're right. I just can't seem to place it as I move around the perimeter. I'm guessing that the worse that can happen from this part being left off is that the potential for dirt may enter the TB enclosure.
Check where the cam gears meet the bottom crank cover.. either which way, I'm pretty sure it broke off because it's not a gasket by itself. But those do get brittle and can break off..
Old 09-07-16, 10:44 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I found it!!!
on left or drivers side, go straight down from water neck or inlet, just below the location of the water pump.
Old 09-07-16, 01:21 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

First thought: Eureka! You're the best! Second thought: OMG! How much do I have to disassemble to get it back in? And to what did it make up? I used a couple of your photo's to try and locate the part. Does it look like it makes up to the engine side of the serpentine belt idler pulley support bracket?

I tried vectoring a location keying off a shoulder bolt, an Air Conditioner support bracket hole and the crankshaft. Any idea what piece will seat into the part I missed installing? The location of this seal doesn't lend to water getting into the TB enclosure. Is it needed?

Last edited by Poqman; 09-07-16 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-07-16, 01:58 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I think I would just place it in my ziplock bag of small SC430 nuts and bolts I collected from the salvage yard. and IF, someday I get the urge, I might reinstall the piece...that was the long way of saying, no I don't think it will hurt anything.

I would guess mine stayed put due to years of heat from the engine.

Last edited by Bgw70; 09-07-16 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-07-16, 02:25 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I believe it is the gasket, which is part of the spacer, located in the lower right hand part of the illustration.

Old 09-07-16, 03:57 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Bgw70, I can't thank you enough! I did place the part in the glove box and will plan to re-install it this fall when it is cooler to work in the garage. The part fell into the sump pan that caught the antifreeze when the water pump was separated from the engine. I re-assembled the engine and put in two gallons of new antifreeze. I discovered it when pouring the old antifreeze into the two empty gallon jugs to re-cycle. My heart skipped a beat when I saw a part in the bottom of the pan.

To all those who read this thread in the future and plan to do your own timing belt change, watch for this gasket. It could stick to the spacer, stick to the block as seen in the picture or just fall to the floor.

Last edited by Poqman; 09-07-16 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-07-16, 05:13 PM
Lesly1
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi Poqman, Hopefully the part that wasn't replaced won't cause any problem. When changing the Timing Belt & Water Pump, would you say it's a straight forward job or can be complicating.? At what Mileage should the Timing Belt be changed? Did you purchase a complete Gasket Set?
Unfortunately I didn't receive any Books for any Service Records. The SC 2001 drives really well & has done exactly 100K Miles.

Thank you
Chris......From OZ
Old 09-07-16, 05:53 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

BTW Poqman, congratulations completing the timing belt job! It was certainly the most involved TB I have ever done, how about you?

Quick Reply: Question for those who did your own timing belt