Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Ford Fusion Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-16, 09:39 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
The Fusion Energi (plug-in hybrid variant) doesn't seem dramatically different from the 2013-2016. Same 7.6kwh battery, same 2.0L Atkinson-cycle engine, similar EV-only range (20 miles vs. 19 for the new one). What uniquely makes this one a competitor for the Volt that was absent in the one introduced 4 years ago?
I take it back. 20 mile EV range? LOL.

The Volt has upwards of a 40 mile EV range and about a 400 mile range on gas only.

So right now there is no competitor to the Chevy Volt.
Old 01-13-16, 09:48 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tradosauru
I take it back. 20 mile EV range? LOL.

The Volt has upwards of a 40 mile EV range and about a 400 mile range on gas only.

So right now there is no competitor to the Chevy Volt.
New volt is 53 miles of EV range. Distancing itself even further from the others.
Old 01-13-16, 10:00 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I prefer the outgoing grill. This is less Aston Martin like and just not as nice.
Old 01-13-16, 10:31 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
New volt is 53 miles of EV range. Distancing itself even further from the others.
My son has the 2012 Volt and it really is an awesome car. I wouldn't hesitate to take it on a long trip. The 240 charger can give it a full electric charge from empty in 3 hours.
Old 01-13-16, 01:46 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

325 horsepower and 350 lb.-ft. of torque is good and all but.... I just don't see this being a big seller especially if it's priced high....but per this article....
The Fusion starts at $22,995. The Sport begins at $34,350, and the Platinum starts at $37,495.
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/11/2...#slide-3763732

next......2018 Chevy Malibu with the LT1

Last edited by bagwell; 01-13-16 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-13-16, 06:53 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Not quite. The MKZ hot rod version has 400 hp and 400 lb. ft. torque.
Steve
I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-13-16, 07:39 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
next......2018 Chevy Malibu with the LT1
That's been available since 2014 (6MT since 2015), as the SS. Well okay it's not technically called Malibu, but non-enthusiasts have difficulty telling them apart.
Old 09-08-16, 01:49 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 2017 Ford Fusion Sport First Drive

In 1989 Ford crammed a 7,000-rpm Yamaha V6 into the Taurus and made the SHO, one the greatest sleeper sports cars ever to come out of Detroit. Fast-forward to today and the modern Taurus SHO is a big luxo-cruiser, not Dearborn's answer to European sport sedans. But, to paraphrase Yoda, there is another. The 2017 Ford Fusion Sport is stylish, has 325 horsepower and all-wheel drive, and uses an engine from a pickup truck. God bless America.

Yes, the 2.7-liter, twin-turbocharged EcoBoost V6 was first used in the F-150. It's a magical, fast-revving engine that's never short of performance, which makes sense – there's 325 horsepower and 380 pound-feet of torque to play with. Tapping into that power while sitting in a Fusion's seat, looking at a Fusion's dashboard, and hanging onto a Fusion's steering wheel is as surprising as waking up one morning and finding yourself a foot taller.

The Fusion is quick despite the rest of the powertrain. Ford's six-speed automatic gearbox qualifies as "meh," responding better to a boot full of throttle than to requests from the steering-wheel-mounted paddles. In both normal and Sport Mode, manual mode returns quick-ish upshifts but is slow and dimwitted on the rev-matched downshifts Ford was touting. We found the Fusion behaved better in full automatic, where the where the computers control shifting and mitigate some of the transmission's bad behavior. Score one for the standard six-speed manual in the BMW and Audi. Sorry, Detroiters.

The all-wheel-drive system, meanwhile, betrays the Ford's humbler roots. Neutral cornering performance plays second fiddle to preventing torque steer (which it does admirably). The system doses the rear axle with 50 percent of the engine's output and it can't transfer torque laterally. We wouldn't complain if Ford fitted the Fusion with the trick torque-vectoring AWD from the Focus RS, but that would probably raise the price (and give you less reason to by the 400-hp Lincoln MKZ that does have it). Still we like an all-wheel drive that show more ability to aid dry handling. It's an area the S4 and its trick torque-vectoring sport differential scores points in that the Ford can't match.
After the initial shock wears off, you'll find that using the Fusion Sport's straight-line performance is addictive. The engine's brisk and potent response spins the tachometer needle at a decidedly un-Fusion-like clip; we complained about turbo lag from the 2.7-liter V6 in the F-150, but didn't notice any issues in the Fusion. We're expecting a low-five-second run to 60 mph, far quicker than any other mainstream mid-size sedan. So in terms of numbers we're already putting the Fusion Sport up against the Germans, but it's not as speedy as the Audi S4's 4.9-second run or the BMW 340i's 4.6-second sprint.

The 2.7-liter V6's exhaust note is pleasing enough that we'll almost forgive the simple all-wheel drive and lackluster transmission. It's rich and pleasant in normal mode, where active noise cancellation handpicks only the best sounds. But push the diminutive Sport mode button in the center of the rotary shifter and the Fusion's computers turn off the noise cancellation and let in the V6's operatic singing voice. The sound climbs smoothly, reaching its sweetest note in the middle of the tach. But the soundtrack is only exciting under load – let off the gas and the engine hushes up. We'd like to hear some pops, crackles, and excitement from those four lovely chrome exhaust pipes.

The quad-tipped dual exhausts are some of the many stylish additions Ford made to differentiate the Sport model from the rest of the lineup. The last time Ford built a Fusion Sport, in 2010, the visual changes were less obvious. For instance, all 2017 Fusions get unique grille treatments, and the Sport's black honeycomb inserts stand out from lesser models in a way the 2010 model's chrome schnoz could never manage. With less chrome – just a thin strip remains around the main grille, and it has been deleted from the fog light surrounds – the new Sport's face is subtly imposing. The standard "Tarnished Dark" five-spoke 19-inch wheels give the profile presence, but they aren't much better than the standard Fusion's attractive wheel styles.

Whereas the Fusion Sport looks and drives better than its slower siblings, its cabin falls short. The gray Miko suede/leather seats look great but need more bolstering. The steering wheel's soft leather and attractive contrast stitching look nice, but a flat-bottom design or a thicker rim would do more to reinforce the sporty aesthetic. And the smaller accents disappoint, too – compared to the pricier Fusion Platinum's extra leather and stylish, handsome stitching, the faux carbon-fiber accents on the Sport's dash and suede inserts on its doors look ho-hum.

We can't make the same complaints about the Sport's Continuously Controlled Damping suspension. Previously offered on a range of Lincolns, CCD draws on data from 12 sensors to tweak the suspension every two milliseconds – according to Ford, if the front tire encounters the edge of a pothole, the system can adjust the front dampers to their firmest setting before hitting the next edge and "pre-warn" the rear suspension of the impending impact. The results are mixed. While the system manages low-to-medium-amplitude, high-frequency bumps – railroad tracks or washboard dirt roads – extremely well, the dampers' handling of bigger impacts, like potholes, isn't all that different from the suspensions on other mid-size sedans.

The suspension firms up pleasantly in Sport Mode, even compared to the optional adaptive dampers from BMW and Audi. On some of the best driving roads in southeast Michigan, the Fusion Sport can carry a surprising amount of speed through bumpy turns while the body stays flat and unperturbed. The suspension copes well under hard braking, too. But even on rough roads the sharper ride isn't a huge step down in comfort from the standard suspension setting. Spending an entire day commuting in Sport Mode won't cause backaches. A stiffer suspension tune could help the handling, however, which could help the Fusion in comparison to the S4 and 340i. Despite similar curb weights – the Fusion weighs just under 4,000 pounds compared to the mid-3,800-pound BMW and Audi - the Germans offer a more entertaining and dynamic handling experience.

Pricing for the Fusion Sport starts at $34,350. That undercuts its closest relevant competitor, the V6-powered Honda Accord Touring, which lists for $34,830. Budget shoppers could check out the far-cheaper $27,435 Hyundai Sonata Sport 2.0T, although it's missing all-wheel drive and gives up 80 hp and 120 lb-ft of torque for the Fusion. Of course, options raise the Fusion's price fast. Add the $2,000 401A options group (ambient lighting, dual-zone climate control, a 12-speaker Sony stereo, and Sync 3 with navigation), the $1,625 Driver Assist Package (automatic high beams, blind-spot monitoring, a heated steering wheel, and lane-keeping assist), the $995 Active Park Assist system, and the $1,190 adaptive cruise control system, and your Fusion, like our test car, is nudging past the $40,000 mark.

At that price the Fusion Sport is still a relative bargain, especially relative to the Germans, just like the original Taurus SHO. The Fusion Sport isn't the driving instrument that you'll get from Ingolstadt or Munich, but Detroit does a good impression of a sports sedan in a stylish, all-American package that offers many of the things Germany asks a premium for – adaptive dampers, for example. Normally, we'd suggest you just suck up your patriotism and get the Audi or BMW, but the Fusion Sport is a compelling, attractive, and most importantly, affordable alternative that only gives itself up in the toughest of dynamic situations.
Source
Old 09-08-16, 06:15 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

The magazine writers compared the Fusion Sport to the S4 and 340. With similar equipment, the German cars are both over $50K, more than $15K more than the Fusion. The last article also criticized the cost of options on the Fusion that would bring the price to $40K. If you add the same options to either the S4 or 340, their price goes past $60K. Typically, if it ain't from Germany, the writers don't like it.
Old 09-08-16, 07:10 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the end of the day it's still a Ford Fusion. Maybe I'll be wrong, but I don't see many people paying $34K+ for a Ford Fusion. Maybe middle aged midwestern folk will, but young professionals won't even know it exists. Audi and BMW offer cheaper sedans than despite being smaller having no power/torque, are still Audis and BMWs and that's what matters to them.
Old 09-08-16, 07:34 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

What Audi, BMW, and Mercedes sell at 34k is kind of a joke IMO. You're just buying the badge on an underpowered, underequipped and in the case of the Benz CLA, a very poorly designed car IMO. I really wouldn't have too much of an issue with their entry level cars if they'd just equip them at least as well as a $20k Ford Fiesta. BMW 320i, $700 option if you don't like black or white for metallic paint is the one that really pisses me off. Or Audi charging $350 for a glorified USB port so you can hook up your Ipod or flash drive.
Old 09-08-16, 08:47 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The magazine writers compared the Fusion Sport to the S4 and 340. With similar equipment, the German cars are both over $50K, more than $15K more than the Fusion. The last article also criticized the cost of options on the Fusion that would bring the price to $40K. If you add the same options to either the S4 or 340, their price goes past $60K. Typically, if it ain't from Germany, the writers don't like it.
But isn't that the fault of this particular publication's writers? That's an old trick in the "trade" magazines which comes straight from "press release" journalism. You swallow the bait because it's easy to write. Ford PR whispers quietly that, "hey look at our car and its horsepower, that more than... blah, blah, blah brand's upmarket cars while ours is cheaper. How often do German cars, particularly the 3 get mentioned in PR, or press tours?

The S4 will blow the Fusion Sport into the weeds. It's a whole different animal with ridiculous 0-60 times, not to mention, it's an Audi and some people want and need that styling.

Remember the hype about the Yamaha V6 Taurus SHO? Not too many around and they were a nice gimmick to bring the halo effect to Ford showrooms. This car will do the same.

Originally Posted by Aron9000
What Audi, BMW, and Mercedes sell at 34k is kind of a joke IMO. You're just buying the badge on an underpowered, underequipped and in the case of the Benz CLA, a very poorly designed car IMO. I really wouldn't have too much of an issue with their entry level cars if they'd just equip them at least as well as a $20k Ford Fiesta. BMW 320i, $700 option if you don't like black or white for metallic paint is the one that really pisses me off. Or Audi charging $350 for a glorified USB port so you can hook up your Ipod or flash drive.
But that's why they do it. Of course a $34K Bimmer or Merc is a joke in terms of material quality or outright performance numbers. They don't really want you to buy that one, they want to show you the other better one, which will perform much better. That's brand snob appeal.

But even a basic 320i or a CLA is not as bad as people will make it out to be. It's for car snobs who aspire to the next one up the line one day. People don't buy Lexus IS250's because they run to 60 mph in 4.5 seconds do they?

Last edited by MattyG; 09-08-16 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-08-16, 10:36 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
But even a basic 320i or a CLA is not as bad as people will make it out to be. It's for car snobs who aspire to the next one up the line one day. People don't buy Lexus IS250's because they run to 60 mph in 4.5 seconds do they?
Have you driven a basic CLA? It is a terrible little car! If it didn't have a 3 pointed star, no rational car shopper would even look at it. It comes from the same designers as the Smart Car. The BMW 320 is at least large enough for people, has a transmission that shifts well, and a reasonable ride. It does have a cheap interior that makes a Sentra look plush and no power, but it is a BMW so it must be the ultimate driving machine.

The S4 will certainly not "blow the Fusion Sport into the weeds". Times to 60 are within a few 10ths of a seconds and the handling is very close. It's your $20 grand, so choose the badge if you want rather than the better value.
Old 09-09-16, 05:09 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Have you driven a basic CLA? It is a terrible little car! If it didn't have a 3 pointed star, no rational car shopper would even look at it.
I have not and I have no doubt that you correct, but for what it is, it seems to be selling very well, at least here in Southern Ontario, so it has done its job. Its drivers seem to be young people, just the market that any luxury brand wants -- draw them in with an inexpensive entry-level car and hope that when it comes time to trade in, they trade up to the next higher model in the lineup.
Old 09-09-16, 05:38 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
At the end of the day it's still a Ford Fusion. Maybe I'll be wrong, but I don't see many people paying $34K+ for a Ford Fusion. Maybe middle aged midwestern folk will, but young professionals won't even know it exists. Audi and BMW offer cheaper sedans than despite being smaller having no power/torque, are still Audis and BMWs and that's what matters to them.
I'm going to disagree. For those who need a family sedan, and want something fun, but live in traffic-choked suburbia and have few, if any opportunities to really drive a sport sedan to its capabilities, or just can't justify $50k+ to get features like blind spot monitor, this car fills that void. Plus, if you want AWD, but don't want to move up to a lux brand, there's very few family sedan choices; add desire for a powerful fun package, and there's almost no other choices at all in the family sedan category. And I'm guessing that Ford is not counting on huge sales numbers for the Sport anyway.

Quick Reply: 2017 Ford Fusion Sport