Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Lincoln Continental

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-16, 08:19 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Yeah Ford kind of perfected indestructibility with the 2000's Town Car and Crown Vic. I've thought about buying one because I do love a boat. Then I remember 225hp and 15-17mpg and come to my senses. Really wish they had updated the old 4.6 V8 in those cars or put in the bigger 5.4 truck motor.
i mean you saw my friend overheat his crown vic, it just cooled down, shrugged it off and it's working fine again. although, idk if that engine could ever be considered working "fine" lol
Old 09-11-16, 02:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts
Default When did the Lincoln Continental get released?

Was at the Ford Lincoln dealer today. it has been released. I thought it was still in concept or pre release mode. Never saw a first drive nor did I see any reviews.

Anyways,. The exterior looks outstanding. LED headlights look cool. Rear has a nice look. door handles have a nice look. It also has Good Year Eagle F1 tires

Did not get to sit inside. But it looks fantastic

Sticker was $77K Canadian with a base price of $60K.

What a pleasant surprise.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-11-16 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-11-16, 03:05 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I looked at the Lincoln site and agree it looks very nice inside and out. Nice lines and proportions. A dealer near me shows two on order one at $59.6k and another at $76.1k.
Old 09-11-16, 03:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Where you are in Canada, Jill, it may have already been released. I'm going to assume that the car you looked at, since it had a price sticker on it, was not a pre-production or program (company-owned) vehicle not yet available to the public.

Word from Lincoln, here in the U.S., is that they are coming to American dealerships next month.......or perhaps at the end of this month. You can bet the rent money that I'm going to do a full-review, stem to stern....I not only have several requests for a review, but I myself am eager to check it out. Even without (yet) seeing it in person, except up on a turntable at the D.C, Auto Show in January, there are are already several things about it I like more than the CT6. One is a V6 in the base version, which the CT6's base version, with its turbo-4, lacks. Another is the Continental's standard FWD (as opposed to the CT6's' standard RWD).....which means that, all else equal, you have better standard winter traction in the Continental without having to pay extra for AWD like in the CT6. (RWD, off course, gives better high-speed handling, but most Americans don't drive at Autobhan speeds). Another is the paint colors......Ford, in general, for most of its vehicle lines (not just the Continental), IMO outdoes GM in both the choice, marketing, availability, and pricing of its paint colors.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-11-16 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-11-16, 03:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Here's one going around the Las Vegas Speedway, though they must have really been pushing it, since you can hear some engine noise through all of that sound-insulation.

Old 09-11-16, 03:54 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Where you are in Canada, Jill, it may have already been released. I'm going to assume that the car you looked at, since it had a price sticker on it, was not a pre-production or program (company-owned) vehicle not yet available to the public.

Word from Lincoln, here in the U.S., is that they are coming to American dealerships next month.......or perhaps at the end of this month. You can bet the rent money that I'm going to do a full-review, stem to stern....I not only have several requests for a review, but I myself am also personally interested in this car. Even without (yet) seeing it in person, except up on a turntable at the D.C, Auto Show in January, there are are already several things about it I like more than the CT6. One is a V6 in the base version, which the CT6's base version, with its turbo-4, lacks. Another is the Continental's standard FWD (as opposed to the CT6's' standard RWD).....which means that, all else equal, you have better standard winer traction in the Continental without having to pay extra for AWD like in the CT6. (RWD, off course, gives better high-speed handling, but most Americans don't drive at Autobhan speeds). Another is the paint colors......Ford, in general, for most of its vehicle lines (not just the Continental), IMO outdoes GM in both the choice, marketing, availability, and pricing of its paint colors.
Sorry, but at this price point FWD is a joke. Even Acura's sophisticated SH-AWD didn't cut it in this segment because it based on FWD. I'm willing to predict the new Continental will largely go unnoticed and sell very few.
Old 09-11-16, 04:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Sorry, but at this price point FWD is a joke.
Well, from a point of high-speed handling, I'd agree. But most Americans, buying this type of car, probably won't drive it like they would a Mercedes S-class or BMW 7-series. The car is probably going to appeal to many who formerly bought Town Cars...and that was a sizable crowd of mostly older folks and limo/executive-car companies, though, of course, not to Accord or Camry levels. I won't comment any further, though, until I see and drive one myself....which I plan to do.

Old 09-11-16, 05:11 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

No pictures?
Old 09-11-16, 05:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by greg3852
No pictures?
Lincoln has plenty of them on their website now.

http://www.lincoln.com/cars/continen...=include1/img=
Old 09-11-16, 06:25 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks. I like to see regular photos from people vs staged photoshopped company pics.

Does anyone else see the Taurus in the front end? Maybe its just me.
Old 09-11-16, 06:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

It's Like That
Old 09-11-16, 06:44 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Interior is nice, the exterior looks wierd. It's like a fruit salad.
Old 09-11-16, 06:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by greg3852
Thanks. I like to see regular photos from people vs staged photoshopped company pics.
In most cases, there isn't that much of a difference.

Does anyone else see the Taurus in the front end? Maybe its just me.
Actually, there's more Jaguar up front than Taurus. Same with the smaller Lincoln MKZ, which, as of 2017, shares a similar (but not identical) grille.
Old 09-11-16, 06:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

I look forward to seeing one in person and driving it.

FWD in this price point is a real shame. I also agree that this will be a sales disappointment because of this.

You can say that consumers don't care, but if you look at what vehicles at this price point are successful and which are not, it's pretty clear.

What FWD transverse sedan at a price point of$60k has ever had significant success?
Old 09-11-16, 06:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Interior is nice, the exterior looks wierd. It's like a fruit salad.
You will agree it looks better than its MKS predecessor, won't you?

Quick Reply: 2017 Lincoln Continental