SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

The Mother of All SC430 Tint Threads (merged tint discussion and pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-14, 06:27 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think im gunna go with 3M, im very impressed with the locations and according to reviews people are satisfied. im gunna make a couple calls and find the cheapest.
Old 05-10-14, 11:01 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

...my door windows are 20% & the quarters & back glass are 5% limo. I can't remember if it's 3M or Llumar, but 5yrs later & no issues..$150 cash
Old 05-11-14, 03:54 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Had our ES 350 done about two and half years ago, at a Lexus dealer here in Florida, they did a nice job and it only cost $125. They were running a special (that they seem to run quite offend). They did a real nice job. Not having the SC done because the quarter windows and the rear were already done. Have had the SC since 08, only thing is the tint was scraped in one spot, but not bad enough to redo the tint.
Old 05-11-14, 04:56 AM
NAmVet68
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had my "new to me" '08 SC done a few weeks ago with 33% 3M Nano Ceramic tint all around (darkest "legal" tint in Florida). It ran $150 and came out perfect. Lifetime warranty to boot....Very happy with them..

Down here in Florida, window tints are important if you value your interior (or your eyes!). The newer graphite/carbon/ceramic tints are entirely different from the previous dye-based tints. They actually look darker than they are from the outside (when the sun is shining) and barely look tinted from the inside.....and the clarity is amazing. The visibility almost seems better with the tint - day or night....like a pair of really good driving glasses. I've had many cars tinted over the years, and this new stuff is far-and-away orders of magnitude better than anything I've had before....it's worth the few extra bucks to get it done right.

Last edited by NAmVet68; 05-11-14 at 05:04 AM.
Old 09-19-16, 08:03 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Have you tinted your SC Windows ?

Hi Gang

I am curious but how many SC owners have
tinted the Windows ? I am debating if I should
get my windows tinted . My concern is for us SC
owners to tint the rear window, the Tint technician
has to have the top at a 90 degree position and it
might put a heavy load on the top motor holding it up
for 30-40 minutes .

what do you guys think ?

gas
Old 09-19-16, 09:32 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

I tinted mine. No problem at all.
Old 09-19-16, 10:18 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Tinted mine also. 5% limo tint all around except front windshield. Check your local laws though. Each state has a set limit on the front windshield, side windows, and rear windows; as well as the percentage allowed on each. Mine are def illegal in all 50 states, but I have Oklahoma plates and I drive in Illinois. In Oklahoma most officers don't make a big deal about the tint. They know it gets up to 120+ heat index in the summer. I don't think they will stop me in Illinois (as of yet) b/c #1 as they don't know the Oklahoma tint percentages; #2 if I get pulled over for another violation they would possibly tack on the window violation and possibly my blacked out tail lights (up to officer's discretion). A risk I accept. Additionally, I would definitely find the thread on raising the rear quarter windows while the top is down to let them do the smaller quarter windows. My tech had a hard time. As for the 90 degree approach for the rear windshield, most professional techs shouldn't have a problem. As a side note, my wife doesn't drive my car, as the tint is too dark for her to see. Something to consider if you go really dark. I've acclimated.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 09-19-16 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-20-16, 08:56 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

....had mine done when I first purchased vehicle, it took him about 1.5 hrs to do whole car. He opened the roof to the 90 degree angle & did the rear glass in about 20-30 min.,he then closed the top & did the other 4 windows. My tech didn't have any issues doing the quarters & i wouldn't recommend raising quarters while top is down, because you need extended time with the windows up, so that they can dry. If you raise the quarters while the top is down, they will lower
themselves when you close the roof, then you risk peeling the tint before it's dried thoroughly

Last edited by texsexlex; 09-20-16 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-21-16, 08:44 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 190 Likes on 149 Posts

I seem to be unable to figure out how to raise or lower the quarter windows other than the top up and down switch.

can the work separately?
Old 09-21-16, 11:53 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

Yes, if you do the mod...

Originally Posted by Caflashbob
I seem to be unable to figure out how to raise or lower the quarter windows other than the top up and down switch.

can the work separately?
Old 09-21-16, 11:57 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 190 Likes on 149 Posts

What mod? How?
Old 09-21-16, 12:32 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Yes, if you do the mod...
not completey true. Any stock SC430 can raise the quarter windows temporarily with the top down, for example, while tinting. There is a thread with instructions on thie forum, Search for "quarter window mod" You cannot drive with them up or else you will get a warning tone and the red light on the top button while in motion. The specific mod (luxliink addon OR DIY module) allows you to roll them up and down on the fly. Tex, makes a good point though. If you can't keep your windows up for an extended time, then it might be problematic. If i had it to do again, I would have raised them and kept them up to let my tech do it easily and have solid results.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 09-21-16 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-21-16, 01:02 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

I am confused . Wouldn't the small window be" up " when the top is closed ?
wouldnt the tech do the small window when they are up ? Otherwise how could the small
Windows be tinted ? The other question is I heard someone said the doors have double seals(?)
snd the doors have to be pulled apart on the tint for the big door Windows won't stick
or work.

any thoughts on this ?

thx
Old 09-21-16, 01:12 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jonas's RX
I am confused . Wouldn't the small window be" up " when the top is closed ?
wouldnt the tech do the small window when they are up ? Otherwise how could the small
Windows be tinted ? The other question is I heard someone said the doors have double seals(?)
snd the doors have to be pulled apart on the tint for the big door Windows won't stick
or work.

any thoughts on this ?

thx
Yes windows are up with the top up, but i was explaining that with the top down and the rear windows up using the method in the other thread (about rasing the quarter window with the top down) that tinting them is easier. I dont know what you mean by double seals but my tech didn't have to pull apart the doors. I get no sticking or problems at all.
Old 09-21-16, 01:20 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Ok yea I think with the top up the tech should still be able to tint the small window

i am in CA and now I got to figure out how goofy it might look if the door Windows have a
lighter tint. In CA , tinting the front door Windows are illegal

Quick Reply: The Mother of All SC430 Tint Threads (merged tint discussion and pictures)