Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Scout gps app on 2017 Toyotas.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-16, 06:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

looks like you can't get good audio without buying the intergrated nav.
Old 09-07-16, 07:42 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Hopefully they've improved the audio, the JBL system(with intergrated nav) in my mom's 2012 Camry SE sucks hardcore. Very tinny sounding, no midbass or bass at all. I mean its really bad, as in my 2004 Tacoma with just the 2 stock door speakers has a lot more mid-bass/bass punch.
Old 09-07-16, 08:42 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

it's probably also because they don't want to pay apple/google any licensing fees too. (NIH)
If you have to pay licensing fees, you are using someone's else's technology and you lose control of the technology you are using -- you are at the whim of the organisation that controls that technology. Any changes to the product you are using may make your system suddenly not able to operate properly. Toyota likes to be in control of all products and technology it uses.

Similarly, but resulting from using someone else's software product, is that it may have a different user interface. Toyota is smart not to want that. You could be using Toyota's infotainment system, enter into Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, and the way those applications work is different from how everything else on Toyota's system works.

Finally, there are other types of smartphones out there, including Windows phones and Blackberry phones. By limiting your smartphone integration choices to Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, you are effectively telling those people who use other types of smartphones that they are not welcome. Is it fair to welcome and support iPhone and Android phone users but not support Windows and Blackberry phone users?

I read that Toyota was working on a smartphone integration system that would support all types of phones. It was an application started by Ford for Sync but now being developed in an open source fashion.
Old 09-07-16, 01:17 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Toyota is in a much a position to assert control over phone integration as a cow on a slaughter line.
Old 09-19-16, 07:22 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Wonder how many more years it'll be before Toyota finally adopts Android Auto and Apple Carplay.

If I can run Google Maps or Waze on the rest of the industry's dash, but not Toyota or Lexus, it's going to be very difficult to choose a Toyota or Lexus product.
Old 09-19-16, 07:40 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
Wonder how many more years it'll be before Toyota finally adopts Android Auto and Apple Carplay.

If I can run Google Maps or Waze on the rest of the industry's dash, but not Toyota or Lexus, it's going to be very difficult to choose a Toyota or Lexus product.
Toyota has committed to Apple Carplay. They just have not introduced it as of yet.
Old 09-19-16, 12:53 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigyyy

"IF" being the operative word, because it can't be done at this point, and no announcement has been made for those to be added.

Until Andriod Auto or Apple CarPlay integrate Waze and Google Maps, I really don't care if my car has that. Nice to have--sure. Or--if it's installed in such a way that a simple update can be performed to it if those mapping apps are ever added, that would interest me. You'd think Android would get it's company-owned mapping programs integrated into this to get a leg up on Apple.

Last edited by tex2670; 09-19-16 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-19-16, 12:55 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
If you have to pay licensing fees, you are using someone's else's technology and you lose control of the technology you are using -- you are at the whim of the organisation that controls that technology. Any changes to the product you are using may make your system suddenly not able to operate properly. Toyota likes to be in control of all products and technology it uses.

Similarly, but resulting from using someone else's software product, is that it may have a different user interface. Toyota is smart not to want that. You could be using Toyota's infotainment system, enter into Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, and the way those applications work is different from how everything else on Toyota's system works.

Finally, there are other types of smartphones out there, including Windows phones and Blackberry phones. By limiting your smartphone integration choices to Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, you are effectively telling those people who use other types of smartphones that they are not welcome. Is it fair to welcome and support iPhone and Android phone users but not support Windows and Blackberry phone users?

I read that Toyota was working on a smartphone integration system that would support all types of phones. It was an application started by Ford for Sync but now being developed in an open source fashion.
Let's face it: Windows Mobile and Blackberry users are, in fact, not welcome.
Old 09-20-16, 09:44 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Hate to break it to you, but Google Maps is already available on Android Auto. Waze has been announced as forthcoming this year.

Toyota needs to get with the program and incorporate Android Auto like the rest of the industry

Originally Posted by tex2670
"IF" being the operative word, because it can't be done at this point, and no announcement has been made for those to be added.

Until Andriod Auto or Apple CarPlay integrate Waze and Google Maps, I really don't care if my car has that. Nice to have--sure. Or--if it's installed in such a way that a simple update can be performed to it if those mapping apps are ever added, that would interest me. You'd think Android would get it's company-owned mapping programs integrated into this to get a leg up on Apple.
Old 09-20-16, 12:32 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why was there even a question on google maps coming to Android Auto. I hope we all know that google owns android.

Old 09-21-16, 05:04 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 652 Likes on 487 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Why was there even a question on google maps coming to Android Auto. I hope we all know that google owns android.
Well, they also own Waze. Surprised that's not already integrated.
Old 09-28-16, 02:33 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eh?

JBL audio is standard on the Camry XLE with either forms of navigation systems.