Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

"Dajiban" - It's a Japanese racer thing

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-16, 06:53 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default "Dajiban" - It's a Japanese racer thing

In Japan, where '70's "Good Time" vans went to die a generation ago there's now a second wave of van enthusiasts. First the competition was on to mod the basic fake-fur and crushed velvet lined van with over-the-top interiors finished in early bordello. When that wasn't enough, Japanese owners began to execute a few hot-rod tricks on the exterior - things like chopping the top about five inches and lowering the van to the ground. Novel, but not too practical for Westerners who tend to be a bit on the XXL side. Still, they were a sight to behold, becoming a cultural icon.

As years went on, these aging Dodge A-200's fell into commercial service, and some were adopted by amateur motorcycle racers as transporters. They were plenty big enough to haul a racebike and all the tools and spares necessary to support it for a day at the track. Best of all, they were cheap. But you know that whenever a couple of guys with similar cars meet up, there's eventually going to be a race. Well, it's happening in Tokyo and Kyoto, where avid racers with time on their hands take their transporters out on the track for a couple of hot laps.

You might think, "Race a VAN??", but some people will race bathtubs or barstools, so why not a van? The informal rules are few if any, and competition is not as awkward as you'd think. A lot of these transporters have found a third career out on the circuit after a number of mods to improve handling. First the interior is stripped and any unnecessary weight is removed, meaning any weight up high that will help the tall, tippy vans handle better. That's followed by extensive suspension mods, lowering springs and sway bars as thick as your wrist. Brakes are upgraded and large and rather expensive wheels mount fat rubber. The old 318 V8 is freshened up, and maybe the extreme modders will top it off with a cold air induction system and a larger radiator, but that's about all of the engine mods you'll see. The steel bumpers are next removed to be replaced by lookalike fiberglass ones - again to save weight. One or two racing seats, a racing wheel, a rudimentary roll hoop and a fresh coat of (often flat) paint completes the look. Some racers even remove window glass to reduce weight above the roll center. Throw on a couple of sponsor's stickers and you are ready to take your Dajiban to the track.

There ensues a contest of speed over the course, even drifting competitions, proving that at least in motorsport, there is no shame.

If Dajiban is the next new thing, I'm wondering if I'm being a little fashion-forward here when I think about the possibilities for the old beatervan in my driveway . . . .

Last edited by Lil4X; 09-27-16 at 07:18 AM.
Old 09-27-16, 11:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

In the mid-70s, Bob (I'm sure you remember them) custom vans were all the rage here in the U.S. Typically, they would be sold in base-versions, with bare-metal interior walls, and the buyers would take the hollow interiors to specialty-shops, which decorated them to the customer's specific order (assuming the buyer didn't do the work himself or herself). These vans, as often as not, ended up being portable love-nests...a common bumper sticker was "If You See This Van-a-Rockin, Don't Come-a-Knockin". Even songs were written about this. Finishing up the interior would (usually) be a CB-Band radio, which allowed drivers (or others inside) communicate with each other and warn of Smokey's speed-traps.
Old 09-27-16, 02:06 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Further proof that you can hot rod anything if you get creative. Personally I'd have to swap out that little 225 or so hp 318 for something bigger. To quote Tim Allen, it needs MORE POWER!!!

I've also seen guys make drag cars out of old Chevy Astro vans. Although I think modding a van would be a major PITA since the engine(in its stock location) sits under the dash/cowl where you can't get to it.

Old 09-27-16, 02:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Further proof that you can hot rod anything if you get creative. Personally I'd have to swap out that little 225 or so hp 318 for something bigger.
With the 225 (3.7 L) or 318 (5.2 L), of course, you are referring to the Dodge vans, Some of them, in their heyday, came with much larger V8s than that.......up to 440 c.i. (7.2 L), especially on the long-wheelbase, 15-passenger vans. Similar designs (and engine sizes) were also offered from Ford and Chevy....460 c.i (7.5 L) and 454 c.i. (7.4 L)