LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2004 LS430: any hints on how to replace front passenger window switch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-16, 01:06 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 LS430: any hints on how to replace front passenger window switch?

Hello, I have a 2004 LS430. The front passenger window switch is acting up. From the front passenger's seat, I can roll the window down. But when I go to roll it up it does not roll up. It seems the button itself is out of the 'socket'. I'm able to manipulate the switch and get it to roll up, but the problem will return.

I'm thinking about ordering a replacement switch and changing it out. Has anyone done this before, and can give me a guide (doesn't have to be detailed) on how to perform such tasks? Like does the whole door panel need to come out, etc.

Thanks!
Old 10-28-16, 01:18 PM
vadorade
Driver School Candidate

Not sure what you mean when you say the button is out of the socket. Did the window bottom come loose from the wood part that surrounds it? Assuming that you ruled out the window motor, regulator, mpx computer, drivers switch and mpx, and fuses as the problem; the passenger switch can be changed without removing the door panel. You just pop the whole wooden part up with a screwdriver, disconnect the wiring harness, and the switch can be changed by unscrewing some screws.
Old 10-28-16, 03:43 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 677 Likes on 463 Posts

Refer to the drawing below, use a screwdriver to pry up the back of the window switch assembly, then slide the assembly back and out of the door panel. Unplug electrical connectors.

Old 10-28-16, 04:20 PM
vadorade
Driver School Candidate

Some other hints:
-before prying, wrap screwdriver with cloth to prevent scratching door leather and wood
-there are 3 tabs on the switch that must be pressed in order to remove it. I used multiple screw drivers to press them at once
-once the switch is disassembled, there is a rubber piece that touches the circuit board that might need cleaning
-I had the same symptoms as you, thought it was the switch, but ended up being the window motor that was going out

good luck!
Old 10-28-16, 05:30 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vadorade
Not sure what you mean when you say the button is out of the socket. Did the window bottom come loose from the wood part that surrounds it? Assuming that you ruled out the window motor, regulator, mpx computer, drivers switch and mpx, and fuses as the problem; the passenger switch can be changed without removing the door panel. You just pop the whole wooden part up with a screwdriver, disconnect the wiring harness, and the switch can be changed by unscrewing some screws.
The window works fine if I operate it from the drivers seat. From the passenger's seat if I pull on the switch to roll up the window, it does not seem to be catching. I will then manipulate the switch back 'into position' and it will work.
Old 10-28-16, 05:33 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rkw77080
Refer to the drawing below, use a screwdriver to pry up the back of the window switch assembly, then slide the assembly back and out of the door panel. Unplug electrical connectors.

Thanks for this. I just bought a whole assembly (with the wood trim) for $50 off eBay. It seems straight forward. I'll try to keep the original wood trim to match and move the switch over.

For all I know the button may just need to be 'reassembled'.
Old 10-28-16, 05:53 PM
vadorade
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikevanle
The window works fine if I operate it from the drivers seat. From the passenger's seat if I pull on the switch to roll up the window, it does not seem to be catching. I will then manipulate the switch back 'into position' and it will work.
That rules out the motor and regulator. It could be the mpx, but unlikely. I'm guessing the switch needs some cleaning or a button inside the switch is broken. You could test this by removing the assembly from the passenger rear door and plugging it into the front passenger door.
Old 11-01-16, 07:36 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Hello, I would like to thank those that replied. I took the assembly out to look at the window switch. It seems that when the switch is pulled up (to roll up the window) one of the tab falls out of it's socket.

I replaced the window switch and all is good now. Thanks again! More questions about other things I've been meaning to fix with the car soon!