Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Happy 53rd birthday to my dad. (Vette Pix Inside)

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-16, 12:30 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Happy 53rd birthday to my dad. (Vette Pix Inside)

A few weeks ago, My dad told me he was in the market for a Corvette, so we went car shopping.

We found a gem.

2008 Corvette Convertible Indianapolis 500 Pace Car. I just ordered the build sheet and original window sticker from the National Corvette Museum. I am going to frame them and give them to him for christmas.

This car is #325 of 500, signed by Emerson Fittipaldi. 1 of 4 made with the options it has, with the gray soft top. It was built before the 2008 Indianapolis 500, as indicated by the gray soft-top. The 16 others made after in this exact configuration (Black, Decal delete, Nav, Z06 Performance Package etc) were built after the race, and equipped with black soft tops.

We found it in Hurst TX on the internet, and went and looked at it.
Old 10-30-16, 04:06 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice find! Does it command way more than regular Vette?

Btw I have the same drinking bottles, works so well and keep ice in there for over 24 hrs!
Old 10-30-16, 04:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Great find, Josh. Sounds like your Dad will love it...especially if you can help him care for it.

Interesting that you found it in Hurst, TX. Any connection to the Hurst company? The Hurst company, of course, makes shifters for many American high-performance cars, including 'Vettes. When I was growing up in the '60s, the Hurst four-on-the-floor (and a heavy clutch LOL) was a staple of many muscle cars of the time. The special-production Hurst-Olds 4-4-2/Cutlass and 1970 Chrysler Hurst 300 did homage to the company.
Old 10-30-16, 05:21 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Nice find! Does it command way more than regular Vette?

Btw I have the same drinking bottles, works so well and keep ice in there for over 24 hrs!
It probably would have, had the dealership known what they had. But we arrived at a $30,000 out-the-door figure since we cash and carried, and they had no idea what it is. I did though .

It seems that either KBB isn't really aware of the value of these cars, or they really just aren't worth much. But they will be I am sure. They made thousands of corvettes. They only made these by the handful. KBB retail has this valued at $35k.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Great find, Josh. Sounds like your Dad will love it...especially if you can help him care for it.

Interesting that you found it in Hurst, TX. Any connection to the Hurst company? The Hurst company, of course, makes shifters for many American high-performance cars, including 'Vettes. When I was growing up in the '60s, the Hurst four-on-the-floor (and a heavy clutch LOL) was a staple of many muscle cars of the time. The special-production Hurst-Olds 4-4-2/Cutlass and 1970 Chrysler Hurst 300 did homage to the company.
Yes, These cars come equipped with a Hurst Short-Throw-Shifter from the factory (a long standing partnership in GM's performance divisions between Hurst and GM.) The throws on this car are about 2 inches, with a notch halfway in between for neutral
Old 10-30-16, 06:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Yes, These cars come equipped with a Hurst Short-Throw-Shifter from the factory (a long standing partnership in GM's performance divisions between Hurst and GM.) The throws on this car are about 2 inches, with a notch halfway in between for neutral
Yes, I know some 'Vettes come with the Hurst linkage. What I meant was any connection between the town of Hurst and the company...or is the town's name just a co-incidence?
Old 10-30-16, 06:24 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow good deal then! surprised at the dealer didn't know what they have!
Old 10-30-16, 08:40 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, I know some 'Vettes come with the Hurst linkage. What I meant was any connection between the town of Hurst and the company...or is the town's name just a co-incidence?
Oh, no LOL. Its simply the name of a city within the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Its in the mid-cities area.

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Wow good deal then! surprised at the dealer didn't know what they have!
Yeah it suprised us both. I had to call a friend of mine, who is a corvette fanatic, he owns a shop in Irving TX that specializes in them, and personally owns over 40 different ones. He said if we didn't buy it then he was.
Old 10-30-16, 09:30 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Beautiful Vette man, I really dig the C6 cars, despite being the "old" model, they look so much more contemporary than the C5's since they did away with the pop up headlights.

As far as pedigree, was this car used at the 2008 Indy 500 as a parade car???? I think the official pace car is a hardtop, for safety reasons. I could see it being worth maybe a few extra thousand dollars over any other 2008 Corvette convertible, since it is a numbered, "limited edition" car. But its not like the good old days in the 60's where you had limited production engine options that really changed the flavor of the car and the performance over your typical 327 small block car.
Old 10-31-16, 06:43 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Beautiful Vette man, I really dig the C6 cars, despite being the "old" model, they look so much more contemporary than the C5's since they did away with the pop up headlights.

As far as pedigree, was this car used at the 2008 Indy 500 as a parade car???? I think the official pace car is a hardtop, for safety reasons. I could see it being worth maybe a few extra thousand dollars over any other 2008 Corvette convertible, since it is a numbered, "limited edition" car. But its not like the good old days in the 60's where you had limited production engine options that really changed the flavor of the car and the performance over your typical 327 small block car.
You know I am not sure. I know THE pace car was a hard top. The other 499 cars built were "Pace Car Replica" packages. They were similar, with the exception of the hard top (you are correct, for safety reasons, that one car was a hard top). I think some were made as hard tops and some were made as convertibles. The only one I would think would be worth a premium right now would be the one that went around the track. I am pretty sure that in 50 years though, if kept nice, this car will be worth significantly more than it is now. I know the old days are gone, but one of four? That has to be good for something, or they would have made all of them the same.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 10-31-16 at 06:47 AM.
Old 11-16-16, 11:30 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

So these came today. Build sheet that went down the line on the car while it was being built, the window sticker that was on the car when it shipped, and the original brochure packet with DVD. Headed to Hobby Lobby to get it all framed up for dad for christmas.
Old 11-19-16, 07:49 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

I just got back from Hobby Lobby. $21.45 got me 2 brushed aluminum shadow frames. I would call these done!
Old 11-20-16, 02:19 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great find and congrats! I owned a 2008 for a year and in that year the car seemed to went through a bit of problems. I don't want to rain on your parade and still think the vette is a great car. In my short one year of ownership I had to replace the harmonic balancer, coolant cap(car was making a burby sound upon acceleration), T-hose needed to be replaced cause the plastic one became brittle and was leaking coolant, had a leaking power steering that I never got to, and replaced the water pump due to a small leak, and one of the daytime running light socket burned out right at the time I traded it in. However, the power was addictive and brutal with the traction control turned off. I still miss the car sometimes. Even with all the problems mentioned I wouldn't mind owning a C6 vette again just as long as it has either the LS3, LS7, or LS9 motor.