Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ovtune ECU tuning experience/review

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-16, 09:53 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
Here is a hopefully better picture for the dyno graph. Bone stock down to the filter and on 91 octane.

This is absolutely awesome. I can't wait until they finish the transmission tune and the 8000 RPM internal components/tune!!!
Old 11-10-16, 10:03 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rezno
This is absolutely awesome. I can't wait until they finish the transmission tune and the 8000 RPM internal components/tune!!!
Yup, and this is just Stage 1. They're releasing Stage 2 (7500rpm tune) dyno info real soon. But he also mentioned that the RC350 they have on the dyno above (Sorry I thought it was a 3is at first ) was having issues with cutting the throttle on the dyno which poorly affected the true results of the tune. He noted that he had to "water down " the tune in order to prevent the throttle from cutting. He said the only car to do that is the RC for some reason but that after doing tons of logs the car only has the throttle issue on the dyno (probably something to do with the car only using 2 wheels ) . However with the tune running properly with no throttle cuts , he believes it should be at 300+whp .

As for transmission tuning , they are getting they're first official results posted over the weekend. And starting as soon as Monday next week, we can send in our ECU for tuning . They also have the OBDII option but I didn't ask when that was available. Also note that you need a laptop to flash your car with the OBDII flash.

It's finally happening guys!!!! The 2IS is becoming the true beast it is , and it's a truly amazing time to be a 2IS owner .
Old 11-10-16, 11:49 PM
DickH
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

I'd go with the obd flash so you can reflash in the future with whatever updates. I went with that option and am glad I did.
Old 11-11-16, 11:31 AM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Wow that's awesome! Hopefully there will be an awesome tune like this for the IS250 as well and not just for the IS350.
Old 11-11-16, 02:12 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

Heck yeah! This company is based in SoCal right?
Old 11-11-16, 07:25 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gville350
Heck yeah! This company is based in SoCal right?
Yes, I believe they are located in San Diego.
Old 11-13-16, 12:27 AM
aventur2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
Yup, and this is just Stage 1. They're releasing Stage 2 (7500rpm tune) dyno info real soon. But he also mentioned that the RC350 they have on the dyno above (Sorry I thought it was a 3is at first ) was having issues with cutting the throttle on the dyno which poorly affected the true results of the tune. He noted that he had to "water down " the tune in order to prevent the throttle from cutting. He said the only car to do that is the RC for some reason but that after doing tons of logs the car only has the throttle issue on the dyno (probably something to do with the car only using 2 wheels ) . However with the tune running properly with no throttle cuts , he believes it should be at 300+whp .

As for transmission tuning , they are getting they're first official results posted over the weekend. And starting as soon as Monday next week, we can send in our ECU for tuning . They also have the OBDII option but I didn't ask when that was available. Also note that you need a laptop to flash your car with the OBDII flash.

It's finally happening guys!!!! The 2IS is becoming the true beast it is , and it's a truly amazing time to be a 2IS owner .

WaitWait did I read this right? They have the transmission tune done for the 2IS???? Ask them for a video!!
Old 11-14-16, 10:52 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by aventur2
WaitWait did I read this right? They have the transmission tune done for the 2IS???? Ask them for a video!!
Seems like it is still a work in progress. My guess is they're giving more attention to the ECU tune that allows revving to 8k (just because its probably easier and they have gone farther with it). Check on their Facebook page for updates on how things are going.
Old 11-15-16, 07:00 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rezno
Seems like it is still a work in progress. My guess is they're giving more attention to the ECU tune that allows revving to 8k (just because its probably easier and they have gone farther with it). Check on their Facebook page for updates on how things are going.
Yes it's still a work in progress. But they at least have the stage 1 tuning ready to go. I on the other hand may wait until the stage 2 comes out or maybe wait for transmission tuning that way I can get everything done at once since I will be sending in my ECU.

However, sadly, looks like they posted a comment on their main Facebook page saying that there will be a small delay in tuning progress due to someone running into their test RC350.
Old 11-15-16, 06:53 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Old 11-15-16, 07:04 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

That's awesome! Good to see he cleared up the confusion. But too bad they're not yet working on our cars... But hey at least that means that the transmission tune will indeed come. Plus I'm sure the engine tunes for the 3IS/RC work just as well on our cars. I saw him post elsewhere in reply to someones comment that we can expect at least 20-30 lb-ft from the tune. Not sure about horsepower but if its anything like the RC then we should expect a good 25-30 hp gain. So regardless of whether or not we get a transmission tune just yet, having all that extra power and added responsiveness along with an increase in rev limiter should really wake our cars up. Especially those of us with full bolt ons. I can definitely see the 2IS hitting high 12's as something more possible with these mods assuming conditions are right. (yes I know it's been done before but I'm just saying it will be a lot more likely now)
Old 11-15-16, 10:32 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gville350
Can someone create a NEW thread that includes a link or something to where all 2IS members can let OV tuning know how much we appreciate their hard work on the motor and trans tuning AND that we DO NEED them to work on a trans tune for our 2IS models. We need to get the word out, and I think this would be the best way instead of piggybacking on this existing thread.
I was going to make a thread but seeing as how OV Tune has apparently mentioned this thread over on the Facebook page, it seems sort of appropriate to just stay here with this thread. However I do believe that by creating a new thread and giving it a proper attention grabbing name, we could possibly get more owners who have also been waiting for this tune to jump on board and show support. I think the problem right now is that this thread has become off topic and other members don't bother to look into this thread anymore because they assume it's the same old thread with no updates.

Just a guess.... Anyway I agree with you Gville, but since this thread has already been pointed out by OV themselves, maybe we should just stick to this thread for a little longer. Unless of course you or some one else wants to make a new thread, in which case I'm all for supporting the new thread as well.
Old 11-16-16, 04:28 AM
HankMoody
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

If the tune comes on a handheld..... I'm in..
Old 11-16-16, 05:54 AM
DickH
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by HankMoody
If the tune comes on a handheld..... I'm in..
Its a usb adapter, you need a windows laptop/tablet with two usb ports.

I received a file for a tune yesterday, unfortunately I had to sleep so I couldn't try it out. I am about to go do a couple "before" pulls and flash over to whatever he sent and do a couple "after" pulls. Hopefully things go well, I will report details when I get back.
Old 11-16-16, 07:28 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DickH
Its a usb adapter, you need a windows laptop/tablet with two usb ports.

I received a file for a tune yesterday, unfortunately I had to sleep so I couldn't try it out. I am about to go do a couple "before" pulls and flash over to whatever he sent and do a couple "after" pulls. Hopefully things go well, I will report details when I get back.
Pleade do! Im dying to know how the tune actually changes the car. Except in my case I was going to have to send out my ECU since I dont own a laptop or tablet running Windows. If you deem it to be a worthy uograde that truly makes as big of a difference as OV claims, then I'm sold. 20-30 lb-ft and 20-30whp gains ain't no laughing matter. That would be a huge increase especially to those of us who have bolt ons. We're talking full bolt on and dyno tuned 350Z HR territory here, only except we can be almost there with just a simple tune.

Example my friend has a 350Z HR pro tuned by a well known guy in SoCal. He has Headers, Exhaust, Intakes and he put out just a hair under 300whp along with a flame map. In a race between him ans my IS350 he pulls away steadily from 2nd gear on up. From 0-80 he had about 1-2 cars on me. I had cat back and joe Z intake.

So you can imagine that with the news of OV tuning's progress that im STOKED to see what we can truly gain! Please report back ASAP! Lol

Quick Reply: Ovtune ECU tuning experience/review