Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura Precision Cockpit Concept

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-16, 02:46 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Acura Precision Cockpit Concept

The company is demonstrating its efforts at the 2016 Los Angeles Auto Show with the new Precision Cockpit. Like Audi, JLR, and Cadillac, Acura is using a 12.3-inch display in place of a traditional set of gauges that changes color schemes and animations based on the driving mode. A prominent central display joins the digital IP and features what looks like an evolution of the company's current infotainment software. But rather than a **** and dial or physical buttons, Acura is taking a page out of Lexus' book, using a touchpad to control the center display.

But before we lament the touchpad too much, it's worth pointing out how Acura says its arrangement is different. Using something called "absolute positioning," the touchpad behaves more like an actual touchscreen – tap a corner on the pad and whatever's in the same corner of the display responds. In that way, it sounds like Acura is trying to marry a touchscreen with a more ergonomically comfortable interface. Color us curious.

Precision Cockpit also stands apart in how Acura optimized it, designing the system with semi-autonomous driving in mind. The company went as far as to use a real-time 3D graphics engine to display what the vehicle's sensors "see" inside the instrument cluster. There's even an advanced vision mode that allegedly shows "cars, pedestrians, cyclists, and other objects – even those obscured from vision – using artificial intelligence to predict future pathways."

While Acura is calling Precision Cockpit a concept, the company confirmed in its official release that the Android-based system "will power future production cars." If it comes with all the tech Acura's promoting here, Precision Cockpit stands to be a significant step forward in the digitization of car interiors.
Source and Gallery
Old 11-16-16, 03:27 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This is pretty much DOA. All manufacturers need to just copy the gdamn **** and stop making lousy backwards systems.
Old 11-16-16, 03:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
This is pretty much DOA.
That's what they said, at first, about BMW's I-Drive and Audi's MMI. Unfortunately, some things that probably should be DOA aren't always that way.

All manufacturers need to just copy the gdamn **** and stop making lousy backwards systems.
From a purely personal standpoint, I agree with you....for dash functions, simple ***** and rotary-dials are hard to beat. Lincoln, recently, has also come to that conclusion, and, on its latest models, is replacing electronic-finger-slide controls for the stereo and climate-control with *****.
Old 11-16-16, 05:11 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think this looks really good as far as the cabin design goes. Don't care about the controller at all.
Old 11-16-16, 06:00 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a cold day in hell when even Acura shows up Lexus at a major auto show (see Sriracha IS). But seriously this is an awesome concept that makes me excited to see it implemented in Acura's future models.
Old 11-16-16, 06:58 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Not a fan. Getting rid of all or most buttons and switches and forcing drivers to have to fiddle even more with touch screens and mouse controllers to use or adjust features in a car is not progress, it is a big step back. Annoying touchscreens replacing buttons are one of the biggest reasons some automakers especially Acura are taking a big ding in reviews and recommendations.
Old 11-16-16, 07:11 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

things like this make me shake my head in awe. I guess Acura looked at the people who have complained about the touchpad in the NX and IS and said screw it, we`ll do the same thing regardless of what customers say. Plus we`ll add in fancy press releases, catchy tunes and hopefully people will give us the pass on how poorly designed the UI is, hardware thats laggy in a promo video, and of course using a free floating touch sensor to control all of that screen estate in a moving vehicle.

This isnt DOA more like precision a**hattery, at a time when the market leaders have decided to stick with a physical wheel and direct touch input primarily, touch input for free form handwriting secondary input.

TL DR
The two screen cockpit is great. Everything else looked like a blend of random ideas, which i guess is the norm for all the non european brands, and looks hastily made even by promo video standards

Old 11-16-16, 07:23 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I do like how they used the wheel, seats and dynamic control **** from my NSX as elements of this.

Let's see how much of this they put in that concept sedan they have been showing.
Old 11-19-16, 08:32 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

It seems to me that there nothing new here. The dual-tablet layout of one directly in front of the driver and one atop the centre stack is what BMW uses in the i3. And the touch-pad control has been used before also, by Audi and Lexus.

I have some concerns with this dual-tablet layout.

That tablet in front of the driver has its top 2 corners blocked by the steering wheel; I would hope that there is nothing displayed in those 2 corners.

What about wash-out by sunlight of those unshrouded screens? I know that the centre screen in my ESh can be washed out by sunlight even though it is shrouded. I have had that problem in my parents' 2014 Toyota Corolla; the centre screen can be useless on a bright day (not just direct sunlight) and its brightness cannot be adjusted high enough to overcome the washout either. I also had that problem in a loaner NX that I drove (although I did not try to adjust the brightness).

Is Acura really proposing something new or merely jumping on the tablet-as-instrument-display bandwagon?
Old 11-19-16, 10:28 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

Fail. Two flat pop-up or fixed screens in front of the driver is not aesthetic or even news-worthy. Anyone can display flat panels in front of anyone, and they have already (Audi, et al). Time to move on to something more interesting, sporty, or luxurious.
Old 11-20-16, 07:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,535 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
This is pretty much DOA. All manufacturers need to just copy the gdamn **** and stop making lousy backwards systems.
you probably miss rotary dial phones too.
Old 11-20-16, 08:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mordecai
It's a cold day in hell when even Acura shows up Lexus at a major auto show (see Sriracha IS). But seriously this is an awesome concept that makes me excited to see it implemented in Acura's future models.
Originally Posted by Vladi
I think this looks really good as far as the cabin design goes. Don't care about the controller at all.
Yes I agree with both of you.

I think this is one of the better design concepts out there. Usually I do not like concepts.
Old 11-20-16, 10:03 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Pop Tart velcroed tablets and a touch pad. Just awful. Everything I will avoid in my next ride. Talk about driver distraction...
Old 11-20-16, 05:36 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

No matter what you do to a touch screen, they still don't work well in the cold, or with gloves on etc. I can think of more than one instance where have the touch screen only would be a pain in the ***.
Old 11-20-16, 05:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
No matter what you do to a touch screen, they still don't work well in the cold, or with gloves on etc. I can think of more than one instance where have the touch screen only would be a pain in the ***.
Thee are drawbacks to a touchscreen but I would rather have it then hard buttons.

Quick Reply: Acura Precision Cockpit Concept