Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes Maybach S 650 Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-16, 02:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

To take the Maybach brand back through history a little (though I'm not writing a review LOL), in the 1930s, it was considered what was arguably the best-built car in the world, even when stacked up against Britain's Rolls-Royce. Maybach specimens of the time, (most of which have been well cared-for, of course, still run and operate perfectly today, just like new....though a number of them are in automotive museums. Unfortunately, the brand's image was stained somewhat at the time, not because of the car itself, but because most of the top-level ***** (Goering, Goebbels, Himmler, Von Ribbentrop, etc....) had them, while Hitler himself had a big open-top Mercedes instead. Also, at that time, Mercedes, unlike today (and like Rolls-Royce), made aircraft engines.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-16-16 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-16-16, 02:59 PM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Looks a little better under natural light ........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI_JUcO2sLo

Perfect for the Baller/Rapper crowd to roll through Miami. Otherwise what a complete waste of materials. Looks even less classy under "natural light."
Old 11-16-16, 03:00 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
So what that it is faster ( I would have to double check the facts on that). The Maybach seats more, is more luxurious, and has the ultimate bragging rights in the V-12 and uber exclusivity
Yes it is faster 0-60, 1/4 mile, top speed and would be on the track also, and the S550 coupe you can also buy has the same dimensions, is almost as luxurious if loaded.
If you are more into driving instead of exclusivity, the V8 versions AMG 63's are always rated as more agile and preferable over the heavier V12 AMG 65's by the reviewers. That's the other type of bragging rights
Old 11-16-16, 03:24 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

This is a fairly ridiculous conversation honestly. Much like a Bentley Continental or Rolls-Royce Dawn owner, the S650 will be the 4th, 5th, or beyond car for someone. There's also usually a more dedicated sports car like the AMG GT.

Your run of the mill AMG S63 or S550 is also usually owned in a multi-car garage, but is the daily driver.

Last edited by TangoRed; 11-16-16 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-16-16, 03:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
This is a fairly ridiculous conversation honestly. Much like a Bentley Continental or Rolls-Royce Dawn owner, this will be the 4th, 5th, or beyond car for someone.
Not if you actually have the money for one, it isn't necessarily a silly conversation. My strong guess, in fact, is that Jay Leno could end up with one. He's got one of the most impressive privately-owned classic-car collections in the world....as I understand it, second only to the Sultan of Brunei.
Old 11-16-16, 03:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Yes it is faster 0-60, 1/4 mile, top speed and would be on the track also, and the S550 coupe you can also buy has the same dimensions, is almost as luxurious if loaded.
If you are more into driving instead of exclusivity, the V8 versions AMG 63's are always rated as more agile and preferable over the heavier V12 AMG 65's by the reviewers. That's the other type of bragging rights
Fair enough, I looked at the specs on MB USA, they look fairly close. I think C & D did a comparo where they spec the car at 3.7 0-60. Anyways, I like the GT a lot, but for some reason the S-Class cabriolet just really hits the mark for me. I like the new rims on this Maybach a lot.
Old 11-16-16, 03:34 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not if you actually have the money for one, it isn't necessarily a silly conversation. My strong guess, in fact, is that Jay Leno could end up with one. He's got one of the most impressive privately-owned classic-car collections in the world....as I understand it, second only to the Sultan of Brunei.
Leno has/had a previous generation Maybach 57, but that one has a totally different and noticeably superior interior to it's contemporary S class interior.
Old 11-16-16, 03:41 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Fair enough, I looked at the specs on MB USA, they look fairly close. I think C & D did a comparo where they spec the car at 3.7 0-60. Anyways, I like the GT a lot, but for some reason the S-Class cabriolet just really hits the mark for me. I like the new rims on this Maybach a lot.
Those crazy guys at C & D actually had achieved a 0-60 mph time of 3 seconds flat with the AMG GTS, many current owners have stated Mercedes has underrated its hp.
Old 11-16-16, 03:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Those crazy guys at C & D actually had achieved a 0-60 mph time of 3 seconds flat with the AMG GTS, many current owners have stated Mercedes has underrated its hp.
I generally look and the manufacturers data. But if C & D got that, well good for them.
Old 11-16-16, 04:29 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think you misunderstood my point. They've done the research on this- most people with the money for a Mercedes-Maybach anything typically have at least 4-5 cars in the garage. It isn't an either/or conversation, it's a "Do I want it?" deal-and that's why people like Jay Leno exist. So debating between a AMG GT or Maybach S650 is...a bit ridiculous; someone would sooner just buy both.

Last edited by TangoRed; 11-16-16 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-16-16, 04:33 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

I generally look and the manufacturers data. But if C & D got that, well good for them.
For your average driver (especially if the car isn't an automatic and AWD), that's a good idea.
Old 11-17-16, 07:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Looks a little better under natural light ........

now those are some ugly wheels.
Old 11-17-16, 08:46 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
Damn this steering wheel is no joke. Kinda wish the LC did these metallic silver steering wheel trim.

Beautiful isn't it! The steering wheel. I mean, just look at it, look at the craftsmanship and elegance.
Old 11-17-16, 10:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

good luck keeping it that white.
Old 11-17-16, 03:46 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RX469
Beautiful isn't it! The steering wheel. I mean, just look at it, look at the craftsmanship and elegance.
I'm fairly certain that steering wheel isn't different from the "base" S-Class, save for the Maybach name at the bottom.

Quick Reply: Mercedes Maybach S 650 Cabriolet