Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ovtune ECU tuning experience/review

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-16, 08:33 AM
DickH
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

I am waiting to hear back on what changes were actually made to the revised tune I just flashed onto my car. What I have now is "Just wanted to let you know that this first file is just the base, dont expect a WOW difference just yet, I will need datalogs to dial it in." Right now all I have noticed was the car can now rev out to 7000rpm. I am sure my before and after pulls are appropriate to compare but after two sets of pulls my best before for 40-60 and 60-80 was 1.8s and 3.3s and after several the best from after the tune was 1.7s and 3.1s. It looks like an improvement but I think the difference between 40-60 was from the rpms letting me hit 60 before shifting and my previous best 60-80 was 2.4s with stock exhaust manifolds and 2.8s since ppe headers.
Old 11-16-16, 08:56 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DickH
I am waiting to hear back on what changes were actually made to the revised tune I just flashed onto my car. What I have now is "Just wanted to let you know that this first file is just the base, dont expect a WOW difference just yet, I will need datalogs to dial it in." Right now all I have noticed was the car can now rev out to 7000rpm. I am sure my before and after pulls are appropriate to compare but after two sets of pulls my best before for 40-60 and 60-80 was 1.8s and 3.3s and after several the best from after the tune was 1.7s and 3.1s. It looks like an improvement but I think the difference between 40-60 was from the rpms letting me hit 60 before shifting and my previous best 60-80 was 2.4s with stock exhaust manifolds and 2.8s since ppe headers.
Wait so why do you need to data log still if it was already done on the RC350 with the same engine? Or is that not how it works? Sorry I'm not very educated on how tuning works..

Also does that potentially mean that we may not be able to achieve the same gains they saw on their development RC? I could have sworn he said that the tune they had on the RC was even less potent than our 2IS version. So I'm expecting something truly amazing (around 25ish whp or lb-ft , since that's they claimed on the RC if I understood right) unless I haven't been understanding this whole thing correctly this entire time. In which case I'd be pretty disappointed

Please keep us updated and let us know what you find! I'm going to be sending in my ECU once everything is final and I hear good things about it. If not then RR is likely getting my money instead.

Oh, and one more thing. Could you ask about what the Rev limit will be for the vehicle with the tune? Is 7000 the max if we're running 91? Because I remember them stating there would be a 7500rpm Stage 2 tune. And I'm curious to see if it will apply to those of us living in states that only have 91 octane (California). Thanks again DickH!
Old 11-16-16, 01:23 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm just glad to hear they didn't completely give up on us 2IS owners. Though considering the engines are exactly the same I don't see why the tune for the 2IS would differ from the 3IS unless the factory tunes were completely different. Honestly as much as I want that transmission tune if they can get the 8000 RPM tune successful even with a few internal changes I will be content with that (which is what it seems like they are working on first). I'm not planning on getting any tunes on my car for a while anyway so curious to see how far they will be into this project by the time I do (or do not) decide to purchase it.
Old 11-17-16, 04:20 AM
HankMoody
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DickH
Its a usb adapter, you need a windows laptop/tablet with two usb ports.

I received a file for a tune yesterday, unfortunately I had to sleep so I couldn't try it out. I am about to go do a couple "before" pulls and flash over to whatever he sent and do a couple "after" pulls. Hopefully things go well, I will report details when I get back.
Ok thanks, let us know how it goes when you finish loading... Also, what program are you using to datalog the car ?
Old 11-17-16, 12:26 PM
DickH
Intermediate

The software used to datalog is ecuedit which I am not liking. I downloaded and installed it a short while back and have opened it maybe 3 times and now I have to pay to use it. Hopefully a decent replacement can be figured out.
Old 11-18-16, 02:18 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

^And I'm guessing you were not warned this would happen?
Old 11-19-16, 12:31 AM
DickH
Intermediate

I don't think it was expected, this was the response.
"Let me speak with my software developer on this, because it should allow you to use it, and you do not have to purchase it. This is only temporary right now until our full toyota datalogger is released (very soon)"

It's just a minor setback, I'm sure it will all be figured out soon. Unfortunately I'm running out of time as it's getting cold out and I'm not sure how much longer I'll have the traction to log pulls safely.
Old 11-19-16, 08:43 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The difference on what they can do between 3is/2is/rc probably has little to do with engine differences and a lot to do with ecu differences. Just because you can find fuel trims, cam advancement etc. in one ecu does not mean it translates over to a similar ecu used on the same engine. That is speculation on my part though.
Old 11-19-16, 12:15 PM
PAVGR
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Is it difficult to ask them if they can tune my ECU now that I m boosted!I don't have a Facebook acount so I don't know how to contact them
Old 11-19-16, 01:10 PM
DickH
Intermediate

Doesn't look difficult. https://www.ovtuned.com/community/contact
Old 11-21-16, 10:37 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1256c
The difference on what they can do between 3is/2is/rc probably has little to do with engine differences and a lot to do with ecu differences. Just because you can find fuel trims, cam advancement etc. in one ecu does not mean it translates over to a similar ecu used on the same engine. That is speculation on my part though.
Figures. Although from like a 'saving time and money' perspective that is sort of unnecessary to program the same engine 3 different times (from the 2IS to the 3IS it makes sense. They could have found ways to improve performance and efficiency. Plus programming a new transmission to work with the engine and whatnot.. But the RC and the 3IS with the same engine/transmission, it just seems a tad pointless. Unless they are programmed differently for another reason?)

Also any updates on how far OV has gotten with their tune?
Old 11-21-16, 11:14 AM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Theyre having a special discount right now.
Old 11-22-16, 11:59 AM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

https://www.ovtuned.com/collections/...al-bench-flash

Like super special discount right now $299 !? This can't be right.. I'm purchasing ASAP.
Old 11-22-16, 02:30 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by MDHLexus
https://www.ovtuned.com/collections/...al-bench-flash

Like super special discount right now $299 !? This can't be right.. I'm purchasing ASAP.
already talked to him. He said yes its true and the tune is for 2is too!
Old 11-22-16, 02:52 PM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

So I just spent like an hour talking to Mat who runs the OVtuned Facebook Messenger, and decided to purchase the tune. I will be getting my ECU to him this upcoming week with just the stage 1 bench flash for my 2007 IS250. For $299.99 we should all hop on this. This is such a cheap price for them to offer, and the more we buy, the further research they will be able to conduct to get the product fine tuned. Their transmission tune is basically done, and they're working on pulling everything out of this engine that they can. The customer service I have experience is enough for me to fully invest my time and effort in the OVtuned tune as opposed to the other companies providing this tune. Also the are located in SAN DIEGO! ----ATTENTION SOCAL CL MEMBERS---- I said San Diego!

They have the tune basically done for the transmission of the 2IS and 3IS, and luckily for us the 2IS "is simpler." He says that the 3IS "has predetermined shift limiters per gear, and depending on different drive modes, among other things..." so that kinda sucks for them... but they are in full drive for finalizing the transmission tune and it's ideally gonna be much more ideal for the 2IS (at least in my opinion).

I will post results when I get it back, and will post results about the further upgrades I intend on getting as they release them. My car is a 2007 RWD IS 250. Mazzuri Catless Headers, LMS Catless Midpipe with O2 Extensions (to delete CEL), LMS Axleback, DIY Fsport Intake mod (cut box).

Seriously guys, please hop on this. They are taking such minimal profit and offering us the opportunity to completely take advantage of their research and success.
Its coming!

Quick Reply: Ovtune ECU tuning experience/review