Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Camry revealed

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-16, 01:46 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
* incandescent

I really think it's one of those easy cost cutting decisions to make. If something else on the car ends up pushing the car over the target cost that's probably an easy way to find some relief.
Whoops, thanks for that.

Call me bougie but I would never buy another car without xenon/LED headlights up front and LEDs in the rear. Quite frankly it still shocks me that base models on entry luxury, and even luxury makers (looking at you, Germans) are equipped with halogens. I understand cost cutting, yada yada, but it's time to move on from the yellow!
Old 12-01-16, 01:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

* incandescent

I really think it's one of those easy cost cutting decisions to make. If something else on the car ends up pushing the car over the target cost that's probably an easy way to find some relief.
I have to see it go from LED on a redesign to non-LED on a refresh. For example, 4Runner was non LED in 03, refresh in 05 got LED, redesign in 10 got non-LED and then refresh in 13 got LED. Rav 4 is the same.
Old 12-01-16, 01:55 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

We thought this teaser image was the slow reveal to something great! We all know how that turned out.

All joking aside, I think that does look well done. Will see in about a month.
Old 12-01-16, 05:23 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

* incandescent

Not so much cost cutting as it is about trying to have some lifecycle management. Going away from LED at the beginning allows for a quick change to LED with minimal metal body tooling changes at the mid-cycle refresh for a nice visual change.
Old 12-01-16, 07:30 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Not so much cost cutting as it is about trying to have some lifecycle management. Going away from LED at the beginning allows for a quick change to LED with minimal metal body tooling changes at the mid-cycle refresh for a nice visual change.
How do we explain the reverse, like the current Generation 3 Sienna? When introduced in 2010, it had LED tail lamps, but with the mid-cycle facelift, it regressed, switching to incandescent lamps.
Old 12-01-16, 08:56 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
How do we explain the reverse, like the current Generation 3 Sienna? When introduced in 2010, it had LED tail lamps, but with the mid-cycle facelift, it regressed, switching to incandescent lamps.
I didn't say always. That could very well be cost cutting. But overall, I know for a fact that many automakers like to use it as a lifecycle enhancement/change type of thing. Not purely for costs.
Old 12-01-16, 08:58 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The teaser shot looks very promising ! It will be interesting to see what engine choices will be available. I really hope they continue to offer the excellent V6 & not switch to 2.0 T engine like other competitors.
Old 12-01-16, 10:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by sorptd
I really hope they continue to offer the excellent V6 & not switch to 2.0 T engine like other competitors.
I highly doubt the V6 will be in there, but you never know. Toyota has upgraded the motor to include more power and start/stop tech.
Old 12-02-16, 12:17 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

For those that keep claiming the (010B) MY2018 Toyota Camry will no longer offer a V6, those are purely rumours. The XSE shown above does come standard with a NA V6 from the 2GR family. It will offer a panoramic roof, quad exhaust tips, a rear diffuser, red leather seating, LED headlight and taillights, offer two-tone paint (i.e. red and black), the 360° Bird's Eye View camera system for parking maneuvers, and much lower centre of gravity thanks to the TNGA-K platform it will debut. There is more, but I cannot recall at this moment.

If anyone has posted this or not, here is another idea. The rendering I posted to LE in May 2016 from Japanese language source Car Kuruma GT and has made its way around the internet, was extremely accurate after all. The front and rear fascias only differ from the actual US version. The JDM version will look closer to the rendering I posted in May.
Old 12-02-16, 02:24 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have to see it go from LED on a redesign to non-LED on a refresh. For example, 4Runner was non LED in 03, refresh in 05 got LED, redesign in 10 got non-LED and then refresh in 13 got LED. Rav 4 is the same.
Toyota and Honda have been doing this for a few generations now. It's really quite embarrassing. It's simply being done when they don't have enough newness to inject, so they play with the lights and make that a big selling point. Then when the vehicle is completely redesigned and plenty of visual changes are made, they eliminate the LED's to save money. Kind of pathetic in my opinion to not include something that cost little and is just about standard everywhere else. Even more sad to have it one year then take it away later on. These types of moves have faded in recent times except with Toyota and Honda.
Old 12-04-16, 12:48 PM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Toyota and Honda have been doing this for a few generations now. It's really quite embarrassing. It's simply being done when they don't have enough newness to inject, so they play with the lights and make that a big selling point. Then when the vehicle is completely redesigned and plenty of visual changes are made, they eliminate the LED's to save money. Kind of pathetic in my opinion to not include something that cost little and is just about standard everywhere else. Even more sad to have it one year then take it away later on. These types of moves have faded in recent times except with Toyota and Honda.
I think Honda has waken up, just look at the new Civic. Its ***** up different from the past generation that was widely panned for good reason, and it is back up selling well even if slightly behind the Corolla. The Accord isn't doing bad as well as always in second, so Toyota can't afford to cheap out anymore on the Camry especially when the sedan segment is hurting because of SUVs. Keep in mind that Toyota has had to fleet more vehicles and has more incentives to stay ahead, especially of Honda.
Old 12-04-16, 01:12 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure why Toyota is insistent on giving the Camry a spindle-like look. The inlets below the headlights are similar to the Lexus LS renders.
Old 12-07-16, 02:09 PM
b2884987
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At least the grille isn't as ugly as the current Lexus cars have.
Old 01-09-17, 09:35 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2018 Camry revealed

Discuss:

You’re not allowed to be overly proud according to societal standards, so let Camry flaunt your success on your behalf. Introducing the all-new 2018 Toyota Camry. Our best-selling car just got a makeover. Now you can go more places, in complete confidence.

Old 01-09-17, 09:45 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

Front grill is...interesting. Panoramic roof option is nice though

Quick Reply: 2018 Camry revealed