Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-16, 02:39 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
See thru image looks pretty good. What is now clear is the front end will break no new styling ground. This is a bit surprising, as early renderings and rumors said the next LS would be a big departure from the former LS. All characteristics of the the grille, headlights, and lower intakes look on par with the brand's latest offerings.
This is the disappointing part for me too, LS should be leading trends, not following them. Its basically a heavily modified design of the current LS460 F-Sport, which is for the most part unimpressive in today's game. Look at the difference between the last S class and when the current S class was introduced, game changing design and the rest of the sedans followed in lock step. I do hope they stick close to the concept like they did with the LC, the LS concept was amazing.
Old 12-09-16, 08:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,399 Likes on 1,572 Posts

so if it's "debuted" in january, when will it likely be for sale? hopefully not another year.
Old 12-09-16, 08:44 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
See thru image looks pretty good. What is now clear is the front end will break no new styling ground. This is a bit surprising, as early renderings and rumors said the next LS would be a big departure from the former LS. All characteristics of the the grille, headlights, and lower intakes look on par with the brand's latest offerings.
Technically, this grill and the lower bumper treatment is very different from the current LS. However, we have already seen this in the LC, the new IS, GS refresh so it doesn't feel new.

Most other luxury brands run into the same problem. For instance the 7 series looks like a larger 3 series, which is a huge problem for them. However, MB got it right. While the C and the S look similar, its the C class that looks like the S class, not the other way around. Let's hope Lexus has a lot of tricks up its sleeve.
Old 12-09-16, 01:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree at least on the first two. Too many luxury sedans today, besides looking like humpback-whales, have had ride comfort compromised by low-profile tires and performance-oriented suspensions, even in the so-called "comfort" mode on the drive-selector. As far as V8 power goes, though, twin-turbo V6s are meeting or exceeding the ratings of many V8s. Look at the TT V6s in the CT6 and Continental, for example.....both of which produce 400 HP and 400 ft-lbs. of torque. (luckily, the Continental's 400 HP engine comes only with AWD, to prevent what would probably be marked FWD torque-steer).
The issue is not power, its refinement and feel. A V8 is more refined and feels and sounds better than a TT V6. I'd rather have a less powerful V8 in a car like this than a more powerful TT6.

Well then, use some of those bargaining skills you talk about.
Theres only so much profit in a car...I don't shop that way, I decide what I want based on MSRP, and then negotiate the best deal that I can from there. My point is, I don't see myself buying a car with a sticker price over $90k.

Originally Posted by G Star
This is the disappointing part for me too, LS should be leading trends, not following them. Its basically a heavily modified design of the current LS460 F-Sport, which is for the most part unimpressive in today's game. Look at the difference between the last S class and when the current S class was introduced, game changing design and the rest of the sedans followed in lock step. I do hope they stick close to the concept like they did with the LC, the LS concept was amazing.
I love how we're already writing the car off from a pass through image of the lower 1/w of the bumper lol.

As for the S Class, do you read MBWorld? People on there have complained loudly that the new S Class didn't deviate enough from the previous S Class lol.
Old 12-09-16, 02:52 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

V8 is effortless power on demand. A V6 turbo is spikey, laggy and the overall power band is asymmetrical.

I'm not saying turbos are bad, because if the LS comes with a V8 turbo I'll be all over it, it's just that squeezing 400+ HP from a small or smaller displacement V6 means pushing the throttle well into boost mode whenever you want that power. It just feels like it's working really hard.

Having those extra cylinders and displacement makes a big difference, to me at least. A V6 turbo at 400 HP feels like you have to scream to move, while that big V8 feels like we just have to talk softly to move. A V8 turbo would be just a loud conversation.

Ok, that was a dumb analogy, but the PSI on a V6 turbo to push 400 HP must be insane. The PSI on a V8 turbo is much more pedestrian unless you purposely boost the crap out of it.

I'm looking forward to it provided it does have the V8.

I honestly think Lexus will eventually shove in a 4 or 4.3 V8 turbo soon as well, and retire the 5 liter.

Last edited by Rhambler; 12-09-16 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-09-16, 06:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,952 Posts

And all you have to do is drive say a 740, or a G90 V6, or an A8 3.0 and then get back in the LS to feel that difference. Its subtle, but its there nonetheless.

I really hope Lexus doesn't do away with the V8, or do what they did with the GS and force to you buy a more vulgar LS-F to get the V8.
Old 12-09-16, 07:16 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Ive been in sales for many years, and that's just not true. He has no special insight into the aesthetics of a car over somebody else. Would he have insight into how buyers might respond to a certain style? Sure. But again, that's not what he said and sales figures are out on spindle Lexus designs and they are up, not down.
lol yea seriously mike i don't see how me being a salesman gives me more authority from an aesthetics standpoint... if anything my opinion should be considered the OPPOSITE of what would sell since i tend to dislike most things that sell very well. i would never get a camry that isn't a V6 but the 4 cyl camry outsells the V6 by a significant margin. i'd also never get a RAV4 but that's probably been the best seller here over the past few months. i never said the spindle grill doesn't sell well, nor did i think it wouldn't sell well... just that i don't like it.

a new corolla is a MUCH better car than my Crown Hick, but i love the ford because it goes vroom A LOT and it does much better burnouts and donuts than the corolla ever could haha, plus it's sooooooo cheap. i can also park next to my friend's car (who gave me the idea to get one) and it looks like two cops just pulled up

yea sorry everyone i'm being THAT douche right now, but i mostly just got the vic to take some strain off the LS whilst i save up for the E55...
Attached Thumbnails Next Lexus LS (2018 model)-ugsqjqp.jpg  
Old 12-09-16, 07:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I really hope Lexus doesn't do away with the V8, or do what they did with the GS and force to you buy a more vulgar LS-F to get the V8.
I agree about V8s (I generally prefer a N/A V8 to a TTV6 myself). But we all know why larger, N/A engines are disappearing from many vehicles...tightening CAFE and emission standards, most which can be traced to the EPA, CARB, and, to an extent, Congress. I won't take this thread off too deep into political territory, but I think it bears note that, with Trump coming in with an all-new administration, putting new managers in to run these agencies (in most cases, with sharply different views than that of their Obama-Era precedessors) we might see some of those standards rolled back, and maybe some new life put back into V8 and V6 engines. I mean, come on.....a 2.0T four in a Cadillac CT6, even with decent torque for its size, is ridiculous.
Old 12-09-16, 07:20 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

And all you have to do is drive say a 740, or a G90 V6, or an A8 3.0 and then get back in the LS to feel that difference. Its subtle, but its there nonetheless.

an LS without a V8 just isn't right. for one thing, people will no longer be able to go "wait... that thing has a V8?!?!?"

and as you've said, the instant and effortless response from a V8 plus the sound just makes for an overall much more luxurious and imperious experience lol...
Old 12-09-16, 07:25 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree about V8s (I generally prefer a N/A V8 to a TTV6 myself). But we all know why larger, N/A engines are disappearing from many vehicles...tightening CAFE and emission standards, most which can be traced to the EPA, CARB, and, to an extent, Congress. I won't take this thread off too deep into political territory, but I think it bears note that, with Trump coming in with an all-new administration, putting new managers in to run these agencies (in most cases, with sharply different views than that of their Obama-Era precedessors) we might see some of those standards rolled back, and maybe some new life put back into V8 and V6 engines. I mean, come on.....a 2.0T four in a Cadillac CT6, even with decent torque for its size, is ridiculous.
I think you just did.
Old 12-09-16, 07:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
lol yea seriously mike i don't see how me being a salesman gives me more authority from an aesthetics standpoint... if anything my opinion should be considered the OPPOSITE of what would sell since i tend to dislike most things that sell very well. i would never get a camry that isn't a V6 but the 4 cyl camry outsells the V6 by a significant margin. i'd also never get a RAV4 but that's probably been the best seller here over the past few months. i never said the spindle grill doesn't sell well, nor did i think it wouldn't sell well... just that i don't like it.
I think you might have misunderstood what I was getting at. I agree that the spindles are an eyesore...always were. But what sells or doesn't sell isn't always based on what salespeople (or even us as forum-members) think or personally like....though salespeople can usually see what is selling and what isn't. Take the new RX, for example....arguably the most garish example of all the spindles. Its sales numbers are actually UP from last year's.

a new corolla is a MUCH better car than my Crown Hick, but i love the ford because it goes vroom A LOT and it does much better burnouts and donuts than the corolla ever could haha, plus it's sooooooo cheap. i can also park next to my friend's car (who gave me the idea to get one) and it looks like two cops just pulled up.
Wonder if those two cops thought you were one of them LOL. It's easy, in a sparely-trimmed Crown Vic painted in a dull color, especially with a roof or trunk antenna, to look a lot like an unmarked police car. Want proof?..........just enter a line of traffic almost anywhere (but especially in the left lane of an Interstate), and watch how quickly everyone around you slows down to the posted speed limit LOL.

yea sorry everyone i'm being THAT douche right now, but i mostly just got the vic to take some strain off the LS whilst i save up for the E55...
You're not a douche by any means....but don't let that nice E55 go to your head when you DO get it LOL.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-09-16 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-09-16, 07:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I think you just did.
Not really. Anyhow, a lot of people want to see V8s remain, not just me. If GM would make a true Chevy or Buick V8 luxury car again in the traditional American style, I'd consider it (the Chrysler 300C rides too stiff and lacks reliability, and the Chevy SS, though with muted styling, is too much of an upscale boy-racer for my tastes). The current Impala, though, even with the V6, is a heck of a nice product.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-09-16 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-08-17, 03:06 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Are they going to reveal it tomorrow?
Old 01-08-17, 03:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Are they going to reveal it tomorrow?
Usually Toyota announces a certain day and time for the stage. I think it will be on Thursday.
Old 01-08-17, 03:15 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It better be a TT V8.

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)