LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Interior Wood Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-16, 11:59 AM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by DrBarlow
The dealership, after lengthy emails and discussion, has ordered a replacement steering wheel with the correct wood. They have offered no explanation as to WHY or HOW the truck was shipped with the wrong steering wheel. I am to a point of exhaustion with this dealership. They are the only Lexus that is close to where I live, but, this will be my final purchase from them. I took my 2 month old LX to the dealership yesterday because there was a line that was forming, and growing, across the projector screen on the HUD. 1.5hrs later they come out and tell me they have to order a new projector because the one in my vehicle is "bad" --- they further tell me they could "probably" fix it, but they want it to be right. Okay. They had washed my vehicle while it was in the back...something I always ask them not to do. I do not want swirls in my paint. In this case, it revealed ANOTHER issue. As I was pulling out of the dealership, I noticed water running down the rear window, however, it appeared the water was INSIDE the vehicle and not outside. I got out and the back window OUTSIDE was dry...water continued to run down the window INSIDE the vehicle. I drove back around and back into the service bay... got out... service rep comes back out and I show him. He asked me if I opened the back gate, bc, water could have gotten in that way. I glared at him for a loooooong second and proceeded to ask him how water would run over the interior and UP against gravity onto the back window and then DOWN the window. He could provide no answer. Upon further inspection, it appears that the water is entering the vehicle through the 3rd brake light. The service foreman was not there at the time. The service manager was called to come look, and instead he told them to give me a loaner and they would look at it tomorrow. I was VERY displeased with his decision to not look, but I expect no less from the service manager. He is useless and I have never had a good experience erewith him. Anyway, my concern now is that water has penetrated the rear 3rd brake lamp housing and I am concerned about corrosion or other issues that could arise from exposure to water. Not to mention...water is entering my "sealed" vehicle.

Do you guys have any recommendations on how to handle this? Is there a way to get a Lexus representative involved? How did this vehicle pass inspection - water leak inspection - HUD inspection - interior inspection - and so forth? I do not feel comfortable with my dealership handling this bc their priority is their bottom line ($$$). I would be much more comfortable with Lexus overseeing these issues. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!
I see you are in South Carolina. Is your dealer the one in Columbia?
Old 12-11-16, 03:00 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DocT
Can you post the picture of steering wheel and also your sticker to see what they listed? Because mine is like the picture of the 1st post and listed "black Shimamoku". Wanna see yours any difference than we have been debating.
here is my steering wheel look like
Old 12-12-16, 10:12 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
You are wrong. Linear espresso wood is NOT shimamoku wood. I had linear espresso wood in my GS, and have the shimamoku wood in my LS. They are similar but different. The linear espresso has a brown hue to it, the shimamoku does not. The shimamoku is not a natural grain, they create it using natural grains.

Your argument is predicated on the false notion that the two wood trims are the same.
You are correct about linear espresso and shimamoku being two different trim types. Although they look similar, they are totally different. The GS with the luxury package (linear espresso trim) always threw me off b/c the wood on the steering wheel doesn't match the wood on the console and dash. The picture below illustrates this. This seems to be the same case with the LX. Nowhere on the Lexus website does it list shimamoku wood trim as an option for the LX570, but when you go to individual dealerships, they show it as being a package on some cars available: "BLACK SHIMAMOKU WOOD/LEATHER HEATED STEERING WHEEL -inc: black shimamoku wood and leather door trim and black shimamoku instrument panel." Just for the hell of it, I went onto the Lexus website for the UAE and sure enough, shimamoku is an option. My guess would be that Lexus made a simple mistake on the build sheet and window stickers for the LX570. You got your heated steering wheel, which is what the $150 was for, so this isn't a bait and switch case. Lexus might goodwill you $150 if they want to make this right, but you're entitled to nothing more IMO.

Brochuere for US spec LX570. Notice there is no option for shimamoku trim, nor is it listed in any package options throughout the brochure (i.e. the Luxury Package).

UAE Website for LX showing shimamoku as an option:

GS350 with linear espresso trim: notice the wood on the wheel doesn't match the console/dash, which is the same for your LX570 (linear espresso trim)
The following users liked this post:
SW17LS (12-12-16)
Old 12-13-16, 03:21 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Let Lexus decides how they want to handle the situation. Reprint all Monroney stickers that have the mistake as to not mislead consumers, give me a $150 or $150,000, make me a linear expresso wood that matches my other trims, it does not matter to me personally. However, it is not up to Lexus standard (or US law regarding Monroney sticker) to make a mistake about the information on the Monroney sticker. Lexus official will not confirm what "shimamoku" means at this point. Unless you can tell me with proof what exactly Shimmaoku means, let us not speculate further with various evidence especially from a car (GS) that cost almost half the price of an LX.

Last edited by Bimmer32; 12-13-16 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-13-16, 05:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

What the car costs doesn't make a difference, it has the same trim. The same trims are used on different models at different price points through the lineup.

You're being a little unreasonable here...
Old 12-13-16, 06:19 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

For your information, I have evidence from official Lexus press that shimamoku wood is linear espresso wood (just called differently for different parts of the world). Shimamoku is a process in which Tendo Corp. uses Agathis wood to make the contrasting "synthetic" wood grain you see in the LS, and "linear express wood." But don't take my word for it. I may be just too technical and unreasonable for the average Joe that drives Lexus, a car maker that sees itself as the grand daddy to the Toyota way. Most people have only a slight idea what the Lexus brand means to Japan especially for the models that are built in the Japanese factories. While the rest of the world may see a typo as a typo, Lexus takes it seriously, and the US government does too when a company breaks its law and does nothing about it.
Old 12-13-16, 06:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Then you should go testify before congress about it lol. I'm sure they'll launch a federal investigation.

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-13-16 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-13-16, 06:41 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Don't worry. Your personal Lexus stocks won't take a dip because of it . . . at least I don't think so.
Old 12-13-16, 06:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

There is no Lexus stock. Lexus isn't a company it's a marketing division of Toyota. I don't directly own any Toyota stock that I know about, I might own some as a part of some investment I don't manage myself...

I don't have any stake in this at all I just think you're overreacting.
Old 12-13-16, 11:49 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts
Thumbs down

There is no Lexus stock. Lexus isn't a company it's a marketing division of Toyota. I don't directly own any Toyota stock that I know about, I might own some as a part of some investment I don't manage myself...

I don't have any stake in this at all I just think you're overreacting.
Understatement of the year. Definitely at the top of my first-world-problems list.
Old 12-20-16, 11:13 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Bimmer32
For your information, I have evidence from official Lexus press that shimamoku wood is linear espresso wood (just called differently for different parts of the world). Shimamoku is a process in which Tendo Corp. uses Agathis wood to make the contrasting "synthetic" wood grain you see in the LS, and "linear express wood." But don't take my word for it. I may be just too technical and unreasonable for the average Joe that drives Lexus, a car maker that sees itself as the grand daddy to the Toyota way. Most people have only a slight idea what the Lexus brand means to Japan especially for the models that are built in the Japanese factories. While the rest of the world may see a typo as a typo, Lexus takes it seriously, and the US government does too when a company breaks its law and does nothing about it.
If shimamoku and linear espresso are in fact the same, than there is no misrepresentation here, as your steering wheel is correct for the car. I know the OPs Lexus dealer said it's the wrong steering wheel, but that's for Lexus corporate to decide. Keep us updated on what their response is.

Last edited by COOLIS; 12-20-16 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-23-16, 08:44 AM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

I need to get my car into the service shop for them to take pictures and send it to Lexus Customer service. They have my pictures, but they just need it verified by a Lexus service shop. In post #47, the steering wheel has a walnut finish with the dash and door trims as linear espresso wood = shimamoku. True that both have similar tinting in photos (outer coating). Lexus/Tendo clearly defines shimamoku as process of making synthetic striped wood. The steering is not striped wood. See the LS for what a shimamoku steering wood looks like. Then add a dark tint to it and you have black shimamoku as listed on the Monroney label.

This misrepresentation is also apparent in the 17' LXs. I will update you.
Old 12-23-16, 10:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bimmer32
linear espresso wood = shimamoku. True that both have similar tinting in photos (outer coating). Lexus/Tendo clearly defines shimamoku as process of making synthetic striped wood. The steering is not striped wood. See the LS for what a shimamoku steering wood looks like. Then add a dark tint to it and you have black shimamoku as listed on the Monroney label..
Not to beat a dead horse but people rely on information provided here. The above statement is not correct. The linear espresso wood is not shimamoku wood. It is not a "synthetic striped wood" as you describe, it is a linear grained naturally grained wood.

Repeating something over and over again does not make it correct.
Old 12-23-16, 03:47 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts
Thumbs down

Not to beat a dead horse but people rely on information provided here. The above statement is not correct. The linear espresso wood is not shimamoku wood. It is not a "synthetic striped wood" as you describe, it is a linear grained naturally grained wood.

Thank you for the dose of reality. I've been on most of the Toyota forums since 2009 when we purchased the LX. This is definitely the worst pissy, whiney, out of control thread I've read.
Old 12-23-16, 10:42 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Trolls don't do research. They make shallow and useless comments like yours to further advance their fanboy agenda. On the other hand, if you can comprehend (and don't worry, it's not too technical), read the links below. I even attached a nice picture for you and reference the quote in response to your retarded comments. At least if it doesn't help you, it will help others.

Page 3 of the pdf labels the linear expresso wood as shimamoku:
https://dam.lexusasia.com/lexus-v2-n...ary%202016.pdf

And read to page 5 and 6 of this pdf about what shimamoku means:
http://www.fujitsu.com/downloads/EDG...nd/31-1e/1.pdf
"Tendo is proud of this steering wheel with the wood grain running horizontally (“shimamoku”; beautiful, high-end synthetic wood trim). It cannot be made by any other manufacturer . . . The latest path-breaking work is a steering wheel that takes advantage of a unique wood texture of striped grains called “shimamoku.”  

Shimamoku from Agathis wood:
https://www.lexus.com.au/brand/shimamoku?category=ALL

Let us not repeat what we agree and disagree again unless you want to sound like a broken record. In summary, your latest comments to this thread is Lexus fanboy who swallowed the Lexus pill. If you can't understand the context, troll somewhere else. Hankinid, if you think this tread is pissy, whiney, etc. then you should not comment unless you want to increase your thread count like SW15LS. If you want proof and research, ask for it nicely instead writing a comment that sounds like my 9 years old. And yes, I am withholding more information about Lexus.

For the record, SW15LS, you are full of BS on this topic since you have not presented any evidence from Lexus or the manufacturer of shimamoku to back your worthless and misleading comments.
Attached Thumbnails Interior Wood Question-shimamoku.jpg  

Quick Reply: Interior Wood Question