GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Mark Levinson or not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-16, 07:59 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Late to the party, but I loved the ML system in my GS. The first question to ask yourself is, will you notice. Second question, what source will you be feeding it from? The ML system is built for certain high quality sources. Spotify at extreme quality which is 320KB streaming, high quality Pandora, DVD Audio discs etc. Your average CD, HD radio station, or low quality iTunes download won't challenge the system or really let you hear what it is capable of.

Usually the people that can't tell the difference between factory stock, which is excellent, and the ML system are feeding it average to low quality sources or just can't hear that well. Not everyone can. Not trying to be an audio snob but if you've been to too many metal concerts with no hearing protection you may be better off saving money and going with the premium sound.

Also, go ahead and throw tomatoes, but I think Bowers and Wilkins has it beat in the new Volvos. 19 speakers, carbon fiber dedicated sub and 1400 watts just out classes it. Still the ML system is extremely capable and is definitely top 3 when it comes to car audio, easily.
Old 12-19-16, 12:47 PM
lexuality
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had a Lexus IS350 2014 model and GS350 2014, and the sound in the GS350 sounds way better with the Mark Levinson package. It is definitely worth the money for the upgrade. You won't get the same kind of music to your ears with a regular stereo system. Good luck!
Old 12-19-16, 12:51 PM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

I have been seeing more people driving with head phones or ear buds on. Since everyone has a cell phone, I guess everyone can listen to what they want.

Is this a trend to skip premium audio systems? Even the kids are all doing streaming on their tablets and not even using premium home audio systems anymore.
Old 12-19-16, 03:24 PM
jeffreyr
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckNX
I have been seeing more people driving with head phones or ear buds on. Since everyone has a cell phone, I guess everyone can listen to what they want.

Is this a trend to skip premium audio systems? Even the kids are all doing streaming on their tablets and not even using premium home audio systems anymore.
I got the ML for me--not for my kids, and not for my guests. I'm in my car alone most of the time, and I love the ML. That's when I crank it. I generally don't let the system "loose" when I have other people in the car anyway.
Old 12-20-16, 06:12 AM
hziemba
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The first question you have to answer is, will you be able to discern a difference, when you are listening to material from the source you usually use. Put another way, if you play low quality material, even ML won't create quality that isn't there - the chain is no stronger than its weakest link. As Afrosheen mentions earlier, if you're older, your hearing isn't what it used to be, so you many not hear a difference, even if it is there. Remember that while a Lexus GS is a very quiet car, it is NOT a sound stage, so you will have other sounds to deal with.

The next question is one of economics; assuming there is a difference that you can hear, what's that difference worth to you? $1400 is a lot of money, even if you're buying a car in this class. In my case, I had to do a factory order because I wanted options that weren't available on the lots in 2012 - like the PCS and LKA. ML audio was one of the very few options that I did not get, because in my head I couldn't justify the extra money. Four years later, I don't regret that decision at all.
Old 12-20-16, 08:19 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 225 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
Late to the party, but I loved the ML system in my GS. The first question to ask yourself is, will you notice. Second question, what source will you be feeding it from? The ML system is built for certain high quality sources. Spotify at extreme quality which is 320KB streaming, high quality Pandora, DVD Audio discs etc. Your average CD, HD radio station, or low quality iTunes download won't challenge the system or really let you hear what it is capable of.

Usually the people that can't tell the difference between factory stock, which is excellent, and the ML system are feeding it average to low quality sources or just can't hear that well. Not everyone can. Not trying to be an audio snob but if you've been to too many metal concerts with no hearing protection you may be better off saving money and going with the premium sound.
Originally Posted by hziemba
The first question you have to answer is, will you be able to discern a difference, when you are listening to material from the source you usually use. Put another way, if you play low quality material, even ML won't create quality that isn't there - the chain is no stronger than its weakest link. As Afrosheen mentions earlier, if you're older, your hearing isn't what it used to be, so you many not hear a difference, even if it is there. Remember that while a Lexus GS is a very quiet car, it is NOT a sound stage, so you will have other sounds to deal with.
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, ML has Clari-Fi technology that restores clarity to less than optimal sources (satellite radio, MP3, streaming, etc.). This feature isn't available on the standard system. So yes, you will get the full experience from original CD with the least distortion, but ML can make listening to compressed audio sources a bit better. But I agree with the notion, if you can't tell the difference, then get the standard system...no sound system will fix your ears if your hearing sucks to begin with. Haha

http://www.clarifisound.com

Old 12-20-16, 11:58 AM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by hziemba

The next question is one of economics; assuming there is a difference that you can hear, what's that difference worth to you? $1400 is a lot of money, even if you're buying a car in this class. In my case, I had to do a factory order because I wanted options that weren't available on the lots in 2012 - like the PCS and LKA. ML audio was one of the very few options that I did not get, because in my head I couldn't justify the extra money. Four years later, I don't regret that decision at all.
You are quite correct. Input quality along with environmental materials in which the sound travels are important factors. Very difficult to accomplish in a vehicle with sound absorbing seats, headliners and floor carpeting. Plus for every person who likes an upgraded sound system, another can't tell the difference.

I also have noticed that smaller vehicles tend to fair better than larger. In the end I prefer my Bose quiet comfort headphones and an iPhone when I want to listen to high quality input. It blows away anything I ever heard before from a traditional legacy sound system. It is amazing that 50 pounds of AV gear has been replaced by a couple microchips and some software.

The millennials will choose mobile devices and quality headphones over expensive sound systems just as they have shunned traditional cable TV. Hell, I doubt a child born today will even own a car in the future.
Old 12-30-16, 07:44 AM
JWBlakk
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Personally I prefer the ML system but if you can't really tell...then not worth it ha.
Old 12-31-16, 05:20 AM
Jim Pittsb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ML was a deal breaker for me... previously had an 07 ES with the basic system.... the sound sucked! The wife's XL? Camry had a much better system. When buying the 2016 GS f sport wouldn't consider one without the ML.... flac files and even converted Apple lossless sound very good, The ML system sounds way better than my friends E Mercedes best.. Money well spent IMHO.
Old 01-02-17, 11:37 AM
Chavez562
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 61 Posts

I have the Mark Levinson system( I have a 2016 GS F Sport )...good speakers...I've built better to be honest. I'm pushing about 4000 watts right now...I did have to replace the tweeters though...too fuzzy for the volume control...I needed better clarity...if you don't go with Mark Levinson, definitely go to an audio store and get Memphis speakers...great speakers...be sure to get a capacitor, regardless of what people might think, it's a great regulator of power and energy...if you're going to do it, do it right the first time...best of luck!!!
Old 01-04-17, 09:15 PM
KOOLFELLA
Advanced

Received 120 Likes on 58 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 10tlshawd
I am looking at new Gs 350 F sports.I live in the midwest and there is no 2016's left.But several dealers have a few 2017's.None have the Mark Levinson audio system.I did look at one i am interested in without it.I listened to some music and it sounded really good.The salesman even got the keys to a truck they had with the mark levinson.The Gx i believe it was.I couldn't tell much of difference.So my question is.Is the 1400 option for the Mark Levinson worth it?I though it might be good to have for resale later.But the sales manager said it would only add a few hundred when traded in.I can see it being a option on Lexus's cheaper cars.But why on the GS especially the f sport model that is close to 60k sticker.Should be standard.I asked if they could see if any incoming stock might have that option in the next month or so.All they said was it would need to be a special order and it could take 6 months.I also could not get a clear answer on how many speakers does the regular radio have less than a Mark Levinson or how much wattage less is it.
I own a GX with Mark Levinson & a GS with Mark Levinson & the difference is night & day... The GS Mark Levinson is by far a must have option... the regular factory system is not bad but the ML in the GS is just outstanding!!! In fact I added a 1200 watt amp & a 12" sub to my GX just to keep up... what can I say... I like my music... Honestly its all about personal preference my friend... Good luck with your decision & purchase...
Old 01-06-17, 01:55 PM
bull34dog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just gone from a 2015 IS350 with no ML to a 2017 IS350 with ML. If you aren't a huge audiophile and you haven't lived with ML in the past, maybe a non-ML GS will be fine for you. Having said that, now that my current IS has ML, I can't go back. It is night and day to me, and mind you I actually liked the sound in the non-ML car. I've seen both camps on these forums and when I ordered the new car, I just ticked every box not thinking it would make that big of a difference and I was pleasantly surprised.

As for the salesperson telling you that no ML cars will come into your area, I have experienced that as well. Right now, every IS350 F Sport in my dealer's inventory has ML and only 1 GS350 F Sport has ML. A few months ago when I checked, it was the opposite. Maybe production or allocation goes in waves, but it has seemed to be an all or nothing situation here in North Texas