SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What are possible causes: TPM light on after new tires installed

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-16, 05:46 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by OBP
Even if the battery was disconnected, the TPM computer will still store the codes for the red, blue, white and gold sensors for the OEM TPMS system. I know because I have had my battery replaced before and that never triggered a TPMS warning light. Something is not quite right here.
I agree but there is a better chance if the battery were disconnected that the reconnection could cause a spark/surge that can do nasty stuff to electronics. It is a stretch since so many on this forum use a battery disconnect to cure some of the known ills but it was the only reasonable scenario that I could come up with, until I read Coleroad's guess.

Originally Posted by Coleroad
I'm guessing the tire place tried to program them for some reason. Then found their tool couldn't, but it did unpair them. Just my guess.
I think that is the best guess scenario.
Old 12-30-16, 05:11 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleroad
I'm guessing the tire place tried to program them for some reason. Then found their tool couldn't, but it did unpair them. Just my guess.
Originally Posted by Harold57
I think that is the best guess scenario.
Great work Coleroad/Harold -- the gas station owner called and said the tech used their "Bedford" reset tool rather than their Bartec reset tool and they think that caused the memory to clear. The gas station is happily refunding the Lexus re-programming fee.

There was some mention both by the dealer and the gas station that if sensors are going bad (which mine probably are given that it is an '06), that could also cause this also. No sure I understood that one.

Last edited by JohnnyCake; 12-30-16 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-30-16, 03:34 PM
OBP
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
There was some mention both by the dealer and the gas station that if sensors are going bad (which mine probably are given that it is an '06), that could also cause this also. No sure I understood that one.
Good outcome for you. If your TPMS batteries are dying, then from time to time they will fail to send the expected signal to the TPM computer. Which means the TPM light will come on on the dash. Mine is a 2005 and I have two sets of rims for three season and winter use. The winter TPMS set died last year and my three season set died 6-7 weeks ago so I think your end of life situation for your TPMS should occur in the next year or maybe two.
Old 12-30-16, 04:26 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

At end of life of a battery in any tire sensor then the TPMS symbol blinks. If a tire pressure is low then it's on solid.
Old 12-30-16, 09:52 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Bon
At end of life of a battery in any tire sensor then the TPMS symbol blinks. If a tire pressure is low then it's on solid.
....hey Bon I think that's just the opposite
Old 12-31-16, 07:29 AM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by texsexlex
....hey Bon I think that's just the opposite
I dunno'. The owners manual is certainly vague - unless I didn't find the right section. Scouring the Internet and the consensus is that blinking means that the system is searching for sensors. If the summer/winter switch is in the wrong position then reports are the TPMS sensor blinks and the same for missing TPMS sensor(s). Steady on means low air pressure AFAIK.
Old 12-31-16, 09:50 AM
texsexlex
Racer

.....hopefully I can get this short video from my phone posted. In the other thread concerning the TPMS (a couple of weeks ago), I stated that the system will still operate, even with the light on. My vehicle has had a solid light for a few years, but occasionally if I get a tire with low air pressure, my system has alerted me. The light blinks & there's an audible sound (beep). After I put the proper pressure in that tire, my light goes back to solid. Now what I'm unsure of is this....which ever sensor is triggering my light, is it still working & the few time I've had a low tire, is it that sensor or one of the others? I have a 02' which I bought in 08' and I have never replaced my sensors or batteries, but I can't say whether the previous owner had or hadn't..........so we have members that have experienced solid light, blinking light & blinking light with audible warning.......does anybody know whats going on....lol..........Happy New Year to all my fellow members !!!!
Old 12-31-16, 10:32 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by texsexlex
.....hopefully I can get this short video from my phone posted. In the other thread concerning the TPMS (a couple of weeks ago), I stated that the system will still operate, even with the light on. My vehicle has had a solid light for a few years, but occasionally if I get a tire with low air pressure, my system has alerted me. The light blinks & there's an audible sound (beep). After I put the proper pressure in that tire, my light goes back to solid. Now what I'm unsure of is this....which ever sensor is triggering my light, is it still working & the few time I've had a low tire, is it that sensor or one of the others? I have a 02' which I bought in 08' and I have never replaced my sensors or batteries, but I can't say whether the previous owner had or hadn't..........so we have members that have experienced solid light, blinking light & blinking light with audible warning.......does anybody know whats going on....lol..........Happy New Year to all my fellow members !!!!
you can attach your video, just click on "go advanced", then select the paper clip icon or go to the bottom and select "manage attachments"

here is my two cents on your TPMS sensors. I do believe you have one or more sensors that are finished and I also think you have a functional sensor that detects a low tire and blinks but I don't think you have both.

Last edited by Bgw70; 12-31-16 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-31-16, 10:59 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Here is the service manual description...
Old 12-31-16, 11:07 AM
texsexlex
Racer

....well I figured I have a combination of the two, but it has been a different tire,at least the last two times.....about 6 months ago I ran over a board in the street, shortly afterwards my TPMS started to blink & beep, I had a nail in the front passenger tire. Last week I decided to drive the vehicle, since it had been sitting for a couple of weeks. I started it up & got the blinking light & audible warning, I figured this was from the temperature going from one extreme to the other, then back over a few days period. This time it was the rear drivers side, but after putting air in it, the light stopped blinking & the beeping stopped also......almost forgot, my issue with uploading the video is from my phone to the computer. It lets me download it, but it says the video is too large & has to be trimmed. It's not being saved like my other videos & what is finally downloaded is very grainy & hard to see, but it looks perfect on my phone...lol
Old 12-31-16, 11:21 AM
texsexlex
Racer

....in the manual you posted, I think the only thing that seems relevant to me, is that I have a failed monitor valve assembly, I drive fast,slow & everything in between....lol, so don't think any of the other stuff is applicable to me...lol.., but it has warned me when there was an issue with tire pressure
Old 12-31-16, 01:06 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Silly question, why don't you just replace the bad sensor?

that light would drive me batshxt due to my OCD LoL
Old 12-31-16, 03:04 PM
OBP
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Bon
Based on what happened when my TPMS batteries were dying, I would get a solid light on the instrument cluster but not every time. It's just when the battery was at its weakest - e.g. cold temps. Eventually, it would light up solid on a sustained basis. Then when I changed my OEm TPMS but had not yet programmed them in, the light would blink and there would be a chime because the TPMS system thinks I have a zero pressure or severe low pressure situation ( not programmed new TPMS means the TPMS system thinks there is no pressure ). Then once the new TPMS are programmed, the light will go out. I know blinking with a chime does mean severe low pressure or zero pressure. In the old days when I had RFT's one of them developed a side wall crack and I drove home at 30 mph essentially on zero pressure. The light was blinking and there was an annoying chime.
I can get a solid yellow light when I switchover to my winter set but forget to click the glove box switch. After I remember to change the glove box setting, it will go out after several miles of driving.
Old 01-01-17, 11:05 AM
texsexlex
Racer

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Silly question, why don't you just replace the bad sensor?

that light would drive me batshxt due to my OCD LoL
.... I initially didn't do anything with it, because I was anticipating moving up to a set of 20in staggered, but everyday life got in the way & I didn't change the wheels....then I guess I just got use to it & it never bothered me...lol
Old 01-03-17, 01:22 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

tex, I have a Techstream here at the house that I haven't installed on my laptop yet. If you need to check something out with your sensors, we can attempt to load it up on my laptop (unfortunately, it runs on Vista) and use it to check on your sensors. (I think that we live at opposite extremes of Dallas but that isn't too bad in terms of Texas driving.) So you are welcome to come over sometime and we can jump into it. I haven't gotten around to making a reset tool yet but paperclips are usually pretty easy to find.

Quick Reply: What are possible causes: TPM light on after new tires installed