Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

As quickly as she came, she went - 2017 A4

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-17, 06:33 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
yeah - that's a no-go for me - I think the A4 looks excellent, not crazy and weird like the IS
yeah, if lexus continues in the direction it's going, i'll definitely be switching to another marque that isn't so stylistically bizarre -- likely audi.
Old 01-05-17, 06:35 PM
ROYALISF
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats on the new IS. I too like the aggressive front end. The Audi also doesn't catch my eye but I guess that's what they have the RS models for
Old 01-05-17, 06:42 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Congrats! The IS looks great!
Old 01-05-17, 07:03 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congratulations . You must have had a real itch to get into a new IS, with the kind of depreciation-bath that one would typically take on trading in a car that new. But if it was worth it, enjoy your new Lexus.
Thanks! Not to spoil the surprise, but I also signed on an Obsidian '17 RX F Sport we're getting in a month so my sales rep made me an offer on both I couldn't refuse, 3K more than the best trade-in from Audi (I briefly reconsidered an S3)

Originally Posted by TangoRed
That's a special type of buyer's remorse-congrats on getting rid of it! You did manage to note the Audi A4's biggest criticism from many media outlets (and me); it's exceedingly competent but boring. I find this to be something that troubles me about many Audi's I've driven outside of the RS7 and why I haven't bought one for myself.

EDIT: Wow. The front end of the refreshed IS is...challenging.
I disliked the front end's blacked out vents when first unveiled, but it has grown on me. I also have some light mod plans to add my own customizations.

Originally Posted by davyjordi
i wonder what dseag2 has to say about this.

anyhow, congratulations on the new IS!
Thanks! As for dseag2, he's a good guy, level-headed, and respectful of opinions and tastes from what I've seen on AudiWorld too.

Originally Posted by TripleL
Congratulations! Sharp looking IS I like it a lot

I also went from an A4 to my IS in 2006 although truth be known I kept my A4 a little longer than you, about 8.5 years longer

Great choice and enjoy it in good health.
Thanks! Wow, in 8.5 years, I've gone through all the cars in my signature lol!

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Did you get the RWD or AWD version? I'd guess, living in Toronto, that it would be AWD, though you already have the NX for winter conditions.
Lexus Canada unfortunately stopped selling the V6 RWD IS models from MY '16. I was not interested in the 4-banger Turbo in the IS 200t RWD; after 2 years ownership in the NX, the engine is laggy and idles a little rough at times but otherwise smooth, efficient, with good power above 3K rpm.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Congrats. You're bound to love this 350 more than your '14 250. The larger screen, console trim changes, and and SS+ are big
Thanks! In Canada, the 350 is 4K more than a 300, like-for-like with the exception of AVS (SS+) and the 51 hp/0.5 s quicker 0-60. I just couldn't justify this premium after the hit from the A4. So I went for the 300 AWD and it's plenty powerful as a daily.

Originally Posted by tex2670
But it has that cool rear turn signal.
Yeah, not crazy about the amber turn signal. Will be looking into wrap options.

Originally Posted by laovo
You'll definitely get more looks in that car, also white is one of the best colors
USB 1.0 is my favorite all time color I had on my past '14 IS but for some reason I'm not feeling the slightly darker yet more vibrant 2.0 or I'd have that in my driveway. The last white car I owned was my '91 MR2 a long 10 years ago and was sharp-looking. I see the same potential with my Ultra White IS.

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Congrats on the new IS. I saw your farewell o Audiworld. It sounds like you were ready to move on from your Audi experiment. You can't go wrong with either car.
Thanks! (Q5 Bob in AudiWorld?) Great crowd there and although my time there was short, the collaboration was excellent.
Old 01-05-17, 08:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by ROYALISF
I too like the aggressive front end.
how do you guys evaluate that front end as 'aggressive'? because of the contrast between trim and body? the grill?
Old 01-05-17, 08:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

corrado - congrats... i noticed you referred to the a4 as 'her'. since you see the IS as more 'aggressive' do you also refer to it as her?
Old 01-05-17, 08:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

maybe if the a4 is so boring, that's why CR named it #1
Old 01-05-17, 08:52 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by ROYALISF
Congrats on the new IS. I too like the aggressive front end. The Audi also doesn't catch my eye but I guess that's what they have the RS models for
Thanks! RS looks exactly like mine since I had the S-Line (sport bumpers and side skirts). Only diff is wheels, quad exhaust, and subtle rear trunk spoiler.

Originally Posted by JDR76
Congrats! The IS looks great!
Thanks! Nice to be behind the wheel again after the HS and now A4.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
how do you guys evaluate that front end as 'aggressive'? because of the contrast between trim and body? the grill?
Yes, and the angry-looking eyes!

corrado - congrats... i noticed you referred to the a4 as 'her'. since you see the IS as more 'aggressive' do you also refer to it as her?
Interesting you point that out and I would have to agree that I do not view the IS as "her" because of its greater aggressiveness!

Isn't CR great at testing appliances, furnaces, and AC units?
Old 01-05-17, 09:49 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Lexus Canada unfortunately stopped selling the V6 RWD IS models from MY '16. I was not interested in the 4-banger Turbo in the IS 200t RWD; after 2 years ownership in the NX, the engine is laggy and idles a little rough. Thanks! In Canada, the 350 is 4K more than a 300, like-for-like with the exception of AVS (SS+) and the 51 hp/0.5 s quicker 0-60. I just couldn't justify this premium after the hit from the A4. So I went for the 300 AWD and it's plenty powerful as a daily.
Understood. The IS300 AWD holds an interesting position in the Lexus stable. Priced similarly enough to the IS200t that it offers an affordable AWD IS that is not a 350. At least in current form the 2.0T in RWD application isn't applicable to AWD so detune the 350 and voila. I do like the advantage of the two extra cylinders for a more refined drive.
Old 01-05-17, 11:57 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats man, welcome back to the Lexus IS, enjoy it, haven't seen the new updated IS yet surprisingly in NYC! Seeing the A4 it looks good like the new Q7 but just doesn't have the wow me in looks.
Old 01-06-17, 04:49 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Understood. The IS300 AWD holds an interesting position in the Lexus stable. Priced similarly enough to the IS200t that it offers an affordable AWD IS that is not a 350. At least in current form the 2.0T in RWD application isn't applicable to AWD so detune the 350 and voila. I do like the advantage of the two extra cylinders for a more refined drive.
The best value proposition up here is the IS 300 AWD F Sport. It's only 1K more than an IS 200t RWD F Sport like-for-like. I'm still wondering about and searching if it's as simple as an ECU replacement/reprogramming to bump the hp from 255 to 306.

Originally Posted by LexusChris
Congrats man, welcome back to the Lexus IS, enjoy it, haven't seen the new updated IS yet surprisingly in NYC! Seeing the A4 it looks good like the new Q7 but just doesn't have the wow me in looks.
The A4 was classy and dare I say sporty in some angles and color such as in Scuba Blue (like the earlier pic I posted in this thread) but from other angles like purely in side view, my family pointed out how it reminded them of 15 years of past A4s and the Passat with its flat panels and upright greenhouse. I can see where they're coming from. No such complaints with our past '14 IS and neither the new one.

Old 01-06-17, 06:08 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

"aggressive" isn't the word I'd use....trying waaaay too hard, a hot mess, etc.....

I guess if by 'boring' you mean reliable, safe, understated good looks, good MPG, good performance - then yes, that's why they rated it #1

Last edited by bagwell; 01-06-17 at 06:24 AM.
Old 01-06-17, 06:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I'm still wondering about and searching if it's as simple as an ECU replacement/reprogramming to bump the hp from 255 to 306.
interesting, i didn't know the is300 is using the 3.5 from the is350 - wonder why they'd detune it? maybe they think the awd system can't handle it?

aside: i'm having no luck with the lexus website right now, i get lots of blank sections and broken links down the IS page
http://www.lexus.com/models/IS
Old 01-06-17, 06:32 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

interesting, i didn't know the is300 is using the 3.5 from the is350 - wonder why they'd detune it? maybe they think the awd system can't handle it?

aside: i'm having no luck with the lexus website right now, i get lots of blank sections and broken links down the IS page
http://www.lexus.com/models/IS
The AWD system can handle it, because there is an AWD 350 available.

I think this this was simply the cheapest way to replace the AWD 250.
Old 01-06-17, 06:36 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
yeah - that's a no-go for me - I think the A4 looks excellent, not crazy and weird like the IS

I agree!

Quick Reply: As quickly as she came, she went - 2017 A4