Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-17, 07:19 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Nah the S-class has some finer details like the metal finish of the switch gear and will likely have superior suspension and chassis tuning. Benz knows what they're doing, they've been running this segment for generations. And yes, driving a car with the lineage of the S-class is something special that no other vehicle in the world can provide. It's like bandwagon sports fans liking the Packers due to the history of excellence within the organization that continues to this day.
None of us even sat in the ls so how do you know weather the buttons are plastic or metal? Or the hidden attention to detail?
Old 01-10-17, 07:20 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I think Lexus nailed the steering wheel.

The MBZ S-Class one (coupe one is alright) drives me bonkers

Old 01-10-17, 07:23 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

^^ really? I find the airbag cover way too big. We are moving towards smaller sections in the steering wheel. The 6 o clock spoke is too wide.
Old 01-10-17, 07:25 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by imrankh24
None of us even sat in the ls so how do you know weather the buttons are plastic or metal? Or the hidden attention to detail?
Umm look at the photos? Lexus used high quality stuff but at the end of the day the steering wheel and window controls still aren't finished in metal. You said that the LS is way better than the S-class yet nobody's driven the LS yet, so that's really jumping the gun.
Old 01-10-17, 07:26 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

The reason for the two-spoke design is because it harkens back to world-class sedans like the 600 Grosser. Seeing a physical example of that shared lineage to such a prestigious car makes it all the more special. It's a fine design detail if you ask me.
Old 01-10-17, 07:29 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Well, that's your opinion. I have an LS, I've had 3. If you offered me a trade for the S Class, I'd take it. I don't keep cars for 10 years, I lease. Admitting that doesn't diminish my LS or how much I like it, I love it. But there's always another car, a better car out there. I just don't see any measure where the S Class is not a better car, other than projected reliability and cost. Reliability doesn't really matter to me because I lease, and cost, well that's why I have an LS.

The new LS looks great, obviously I haven't driven it yet but I would still take an S Class $ for $. That opinion hasn't changed, like I said I've felt that way about every LS we've had.
The XF40 LS is an 11 year old platform, I'm not comparing that model.

The new LS is more compelling inside and out than the S-class, it's also cheaper.

So in a way it is a return to the original LS400, where it's the better car for less money, versus just a cheaper car, which is what the XF40 is.
Old 01-10-17, 07:40 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 459 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

I agree with you.
5LS has lovely steering wheel.
Has a flatter hub in the center.

RX, 6.5ES and 4.5GS steering wheel not as nice; the hub is too raised, and therefore not as smooth looking.

Last edited by peteharvey; 01-10-17 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-10-17, 07:42 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I agree with you.
5LS has lovely steering wheel.
Has a flatter hub in the center.

RX, 6.5ES and 4.5GS steering wheel not as nice; the hub is too raised, and therefore not smooth looking.
Not trying to start a fight, but the current steering wheel is a such a piece of beauty to look at, i for like how it is raised, but the steering wheel in the new ls is plain sexy as is the rest of the car. And I'm slowly waiting for all these new design cuts to trickle to the rest of the line ul
Old 01-10-17, 07:44 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Umm look at the photos? Lexus used high quality stuff but at the end of the day the steering wheel and window controls still aren't finished in metal. You said that the LS is way better than the S-class yet nobody's driven the LS yet, so that's really jumping the gun.
Ok so your saying to judge by photos right, so say if a one hasn't sat in the s class what's to say that it's buttons aren't plastic ??
Old 01-10-17, 07:47 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Ok it's overrated because, first off people praise only cause of the badge and to earn respect, second the design is very generic and imho bland, and the interior is nice but not excellent for it to take the crown in this segment for sure. And now that they all look identical why shouldn't you save money and get a e class since Mercedes was so unthoughtful and slapped the same design on every car. Every single headlight in there new line up including suvs looks identical.
Both S Class and 5LS have their good points and bad points.

S Class does have the best name/marque/heritage/badge/pedigree/reputation in the business.
Benz tend to style their cars very well inside and out.

Benz also has some good ideas, for example.
New Lexus LC Coupe has cloned Benz' central console mounted audio power and volume button, and LC Coupe has probably also copied Benz' central console mounted backward/forward lever.

However, 5LS has not copied this audio ergonomic feature.

Benz also very spacious, where not so much LS here, but GS and IS have cosy interiors compared to E Class and C Class.

Benz have majestic rides, unlike 4GS and 4.5GS in particular.

On the down side, Benz does suffer from reliability etc.

Lexus LS has its ups and downs too.
This time round, LS has done a better job with interior, than with exterior.

LC Coupe is a strange looking car, but overall much better executed than 5LS.

Overall, horses for courses, and each to their own.
However, at the end of the day, I dare take a punt and bet that this 5LS, with its own set of pros and cons, does not debut as a top seller in its market segment, unlike the previous four generations of LS's.
If I prove to be wrong in 12 months time, I'm happy to buy you and Steve a beer...

Last edited by peteharvey; 01-10-17 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-10-17, 07:49 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

The reason for the two-spoke design is because it harkens back to world-class sedans like the 600 Grosser. Seeing a physical example of that shared lineage to such a prestigious car makes it all the more special. It's a fine design detail if you ask me.
Fair enough, I appreciate details and automotive lineage. Care to share the example?
Old 01-10-17, 07:53 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,869 Likes on 2,424 Posts

Stop quoting all those images FFS.
Old 01-10-17, 07:54 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Both S Class and 5LS have their good points and bad points.

S Class does have the best name/marque/heritage/badge/pedigree/reputation in the business.
Benz tend to style their cars very well inside and out.

Benz also has some good ideas, for example.
New Lexus LC Coupe has cloned Benz' central console mounted audio power and volume button, and LC Coupe has probably also copied Benz' central console mounted backward/forward lever.
However, 5LS has not copied this audio ergonomic feature.

Benz also very spacious, where not so much LS here, but GS and IS have cosy interiors compared to E Class and C Class.

Benz have majestic rides, unlike 4GS and 4.5GS in particular.

On the down side, Benz does suffer from reliability etc.

Lexus LS has its ups and downs too.
This time round, LS has done a better job with interior, than with exterior.

Overall, horses for courses, and each to their own.
However, at the end of the day, I dare take a punt and bet that this 5LS, with its own set of pros and cons, does not debut as a top seller in its market segment, unlike the previous four generations of LS's.
If I prove to be wrong in 12 months time, I'm happy to buy you and Steve a beer...
You seriously think it's gonna be a flop? What makes you say? The car from a lot of places is receiving phenomenal feedback.
Old 01-10-17, 07:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Can you give me a reason why? Is it cause of the Benz badge or cause it get you more respect? Cause let's call a spade a spade this new ls is way better then the s class.
Sure. Badge and prestige is part of it. Anybody who spends this kind of money on a car and tells you it's not about prestige is lying to you. It's important, and a big Mercedes makes a statement about you and your success. A big Lexus does too.

Now bear in mind I'm comparing this to my LS because I have not seen the new one in person. It's just better at everything. It's bigger, has more impact when you see it. Outside the finishes and quality are a step up. Inside the materials and design are a significant step up, you have a ton of customization options and available leathers and trim. Technology is much better. More comfortable. Rides better. It's quieter. It's just quite frankly better at everything.

BUT, it costs a lot more. The LS is a wonderful car and I love it, look forward to driving it every day, and for the $400 a month less it costs me, it's a great fit for me. But...if you asked me which car I'd rather have...it's the S550.

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
The XF40 LS is an 11 year old platform, I'm not comparing that model.

The new LS is more compelling inside and out than the S-class, it's also cheaper.

So in a way it is a return to the original LS400, where it's the better car for less money, versus just a cheaper car, which is what the XF40 is.
That's just it, we don't know what it costs. Will it be a lot less? Like I said I'm a buyer well equipped at $85-90k. Over $90? I'll go German.

For the record, I absolutely do not believe it will be a flop. I have been watching more videos (YouTube it, looks great in videos) and the car is beautiful IMHO, but pricing is crucial.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-10-17 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-10-17, 08:05 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

You seriously think it's gonna be a flop? What makes you say? The car from a lot of places is receiving phenomenal feedback.
Just an educated guess.
I could be wrong!
Let's wait and see.

But certainly, lately Akio's new input for more spirited styling and more spirited dynamics doesn't seem to be working.
Some strange looking Priuses lately.
Followed by a not so graceful forthcoming Camry too.

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)