GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Noticed something odd about gas

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-17, 02:47 PM
Wincer94
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Most I've gotten is about 375 miles. Full tank drive from Los Angeles (North Glendale area) to Vegas on cruise control most of the time (about 270 mile drive) and driving around Vegas area for about 100 miles. So about 25 miles per gallon.
Old 01-14-17, 06:04 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,515 Posts

Originally Posted by Dallasguy1
Mine shows 258 miles on a full tank and I drive majority on Eco/normal.
I filled-up yesterday. With 16 miles already driven I checked to see what my remaining miles were - and it showed (like yours) 258 miles remaining, a figure that I have seen numerous times before. Since the GS 350 fuel tank holds 17.4 gallons - 258 miles equates to 14.8 mpg - a mpg figure I often get when driving only in city stop-n-go traffic, which I do a lot.

I don't know if this 258 'miles remaining' figure is based on recently obtained mpg...and would change to [say] 435 'miles remaining' if the car had recently obtained 25 mpg on a highway trip - or if the 'remaining miles' always indicates 258. To be honest, I've never paid too much attention to the 'miles remaining' figure because I know if I drive in stop-n-go city traffic I'll usually get ~15-16 mpg (which is about 258 miles), but if I drive primarily on the highway I'll get 25+ mpg. So, just because the 'remaining miles' figure may indicate 258 miles, it does not necessarily mean that will be the mileage you'll get on the next tank full.

dchar says his 'remaining miles' indicates 285-305 miles after fill-ups, which reflects 16.4 to 17.5 mpg. Maybe someone who drives the majority of time on the highway and/or gets over 20 mpg could let us know what their 'remaining miles' indicates. That would likely confirm that the 'remaining miles' reflects the mpg the car has recently obtained. But, to define what "recently" really means, I suspect the 'remaining miles' is based on the average mpg the car has obtained over a defined period of time, and that defined period of time began when the data was last reset. Thus, I'm guessing that if you were to reset the data, fill-up with gas, and go on a lengthy 432 mile highway trip obtaining 27 mpg and using 16 gallons of gasoline - that when you filled-up again the 'remaining miles' would probably indicate a figure somewhere around 450-470 miles (17.4 gals x 26-27 mpg) unless there is a maximum figure set in the data parameters.

Last edited by bclexus; 01-14-17 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-14-17, 06:54 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

You know there is an easy way to track your gas mileage that involves no voodoo, doesn't rely on the car's computer to do it for, heck you don't even have to have a working gas gauge.
Go to the dollar store, buy a little spiral ring notebook, a small one that fits in the glove box. Write down the date, miles on the odometer, and gallons of gas that you bought. Do this every time you fill up. Do the math by hand. Don't trust that computer in the dash to tell you your gas mileage. I have a strong suspicion that the car makers use an elaborate line of code to give you the mpg number, which will be a bit better than your real world mpg number if you do the math by hand. Plus in this little spiral notebook you can log things like tire pressure, oil changes, and other routine maintenance. So if you forget the last time you changed the oil, just flip back a couple of pages and bam, there you go.
Old 01-14-17, 07:09 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Aron9000
You know there is an easy way to track your gas mileage that involves no voodoo, doesn't rely on the car's computer to do it for, heck you don't even have to have a working gas gauge.
Go to the dollar store, buy a little spiral ring notebook, a small one that fits in the glove box. Write down the date, miles on the odometer, and gallons of gas that you bought. Do this every time you fill up. Do the math by hand. Don't trust that computer in the dash to tell you your gas mileage. I have a strong suspicion that the car makers use an elaborate line of code to give you the mpg number, which will be a bit better than your real world mpg number if you do the math by hand. Plus in this little spiral notebook you can log things like tire pressure, oil changes, and other routine maintenance. So if you forget the last time you changed the oil, just flip back a couple of pages and bam, there you go.
Huh, never thought of that. Can I keep a nude picture of my girlfriend in the spiral notebook?
Old 01-14-17, 07:28 PM
k0kong
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

... have you tried calculating the mileage by hand? I mean in my previous vehicle it was never reflective of how much gas is actually in the tank. I could drive for 100 miles on the highway before it came down from the full mark.
Old 01-14-17, 07:46 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by k0kong
I could drive for 100 miles on the highway before it came down from the full mark.
That's always been the case with every vehicle I've owned if you fill it all the way up. But starting at about ¾ full the fuel needle always seems to move down quicker, and from ½ full the needle travels down quicker still.

In the GS 350 I can usually travel about 60 miles in stop-n-go driving before the needle gets down to the full mark, and can travel nearly 100 miles on the highway before it gets to the full mark.
Old 01-14-17, 07:52 PM
k0kong
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
That's always been the case with every vehicle I've owned if you fill it all the way up. But starting at about ¾ full the fuel needle always seems to move down quicker, and from ½ full the needle travels down quicker still.

In the GS 350 I can usually travel about 60 miles in stop-n-go driving before the needle gets down to the full mark, and can travel nearly 100 miles on the highway before it gets to the full mark.
Yup, Exactly what has happened to me too!
Old 01-14-17, 11:40 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by k0kong
... have you tried calculating the mileage by hand? I mean in my previous vehicle it was never reflective of how much gas is actually in the tank. I could drive for 100 miles on the highway before it came down from the full mark.

This, I had an old Cadillac, gas gauge was not very accurate. It took forever to drop down to 1/2 tank, but man it burned off that last 1/2 tank real quick. 1/4 tank meant you should probably fill the car up. Empty meant you were going to run out of gas in 40 miles or so. I did run that car out of gas on empty once, going downhill on the interstate it had plenty of pickup, got that sob up to 95mph going downhill, going uphill to the next exit, it stalled out on me, used that momentum to get me up to the top the exit ramp, wasn't a far walk to the gas station right around the corner.
Old 01-15-17, 04:37 AM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

I filled up this morning from half a tank and noted my range was 369 mi after refuel. I would say 75%+ of my driving it highway though so I'm sure that plays into the calculation. I use Normal driving mode.
Old 01-15-17, 07:14 AM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 06ls430KTC
I filled up this morning from half a tank and noted my range was 369 mi after refuel. I would say 75%+ of my driving it highway though so I'm sure that plays into the calculation. I use Normal driving mode.
was actually higher.
Old 01-15-17, 08:50 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 225 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus

dchar says his 'remaining miles' indicates 285-305 miles after fill-ups, which reflects 16.4 to 17.5 mpg.
Thanks for reminding me of how bad my MPG is...maybe I should start driving in Eco or Normal mode...naaaaah Sport S+ ftw!��
Old 01-15-17, 09:23 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 06ls430KTC
I think this tells us that the 'range' or remaining miles indicated after fill-up is based purely on accumulated data from recent driving (since data was last reset). Those of us that usually drive in stop-n-go traffic and understandably don't get very good fuel mileage can expect the range to indicate something like 258 miles when we fill-up, whereas someone that usually does a lot of highway driving will get closer to 400 miles range at fill-up...because the range is based on previous data.

I don't recall that I've ever reset my driving data...
Old 01-15-17, 09:24 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dchar
Thanks for reminding me of how bad my MPG is...maybe I should start driving in Eco or Normal mode...naaaaah Sport S+ ftw!��
Your right foot would still be pressing down hard...
Old 01-15-17, 09:35 AM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Realized it is winter here so our gas on east coast is ****ty vs the cali folks. I also had 20"s on in the summer time. I will to another test next weekend when I make my drive up to NJ
Old 01-17-17, 08:27 AM
TrevorTran
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

When I fill up my gas tank to full, my range is somewhere in the 320-350 range...highest I got was maybe 360's. I recently started driving in normal mode as opposed to ECO, and don't see much difference in gas consumption. Plus I notice a lot more black soot on the rear end when driving in ECO, so I keep it in normal by default, and have noticed considerably less soot.

Quick Reply: Noticed something odd about gas