IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-16, 04:27 AM
HankMoody
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrfix
Do the Seafoam Treatment. Both through the Intake and if you can through the PCV system (just pour it ever so slowly into the hose from the PCV valve end). You could also put some Seafoam in while you have your plugs out. Pour/spray in ever so little into each cylinder using a battery filler or the Seafoam with the straw. Then let it sit for a 15 minutes. Turn the car over without the plugs out to force out some of the remaining Seafoam out.

You should do the seafoam treatment at least every few tanks of gas and the seafoam intake treatment at least every 3 months if you don't fix the PCV system.

Fixing the PCV system. It's sucking oil into the top of your engine and creating access carbon. There are a few different ways to tackle this. Get a catch system for the oil that goes in between your PCV valve and the intake or close the intake off and let the system PCV valve vent into the atmosphere. You might want to run a hose from the PCV valve down the firewall and secure it so the vapor/oil vents underneath the engine bay. The only other thing I can think of to reduce the oil being sucked into the intake through the PCV system is to get a engine oil cap that has a breather on it. It may reduce the pressure in the crankcase so less vapor is sucked into the intake.

The IS250 Engine has to be the ****tiest engine Toyota ever built. Complete garbage. I am surprised the US Government hasn't mandated engine replacement. Someone should file a class action lawsuit to force them to acknowledge the issues with the engine and other things like the melting dash.
Mr fix, this is the best home remedy one can do without taking the upper intake off and physically cleaning the valves. All the people claiming fuel injector cleaner is helping have no idea how the pcv or direct injection works. You guys should see what the BMW guys do to fix this issue every 30-40k miles. Look up *walnut blasting*
Old 01-13-17, 06:54 AM
wireeater
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys. Just picked up a IS250 with 130k. Runs smooth as butter. It was a one owner, female. Her service logs provided great information. She took it into the Lexus dealership frequently for service or things she thought didn't sound or feel right. I see in 2014 she complained of rough idle and they did a tear down. Does this mean that she had the CSP performed.

Here are the notes:

DATE: 08/08/2014
102245 MILES

SERVICE: ENGINE DIAGNOSIS
DESCRIPTION: ENGINE DIAGNOSIS ~ ~C/S CK ENG LIGHT AND VSC LIGHTS ON---RAN VERY ROU GH AFTER STARTING----WHILE STARTING,NOTICE BATTERY LIGHT WAS BLINKING-LOSS OFPOWER ON ACCLERATION. CALL XXXXXXXX AFTER DIAGNOSE ~ ~VEHICLE RUNS ROUGH. CODES P0300 P0304 P0305 P0301 P0302 CASE NUMBER 142120503 OP CODE 2717DD 24.8 ~ ~DISASSEMBLED ENGINE. INSPECT VEHICLE AND CONFIRMED CONDITION R&R PISTONS, RINGS,VALVE SPRINGS, RETAI NERS, LASH ADJUSTERS,DECARBONIZED CYLINDER HEADS,V ALVES AND BORES
Old 01-13-17, 10:19 AM
Gohanburne
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Figured I'd chime in since I have had my OCC installed for quite awhile now. Good 8 months or so. Installing the OCC raised my idle ever-so-slightly, which fixed my issue with it bogging way down at stops. Stays at around 1,000-1,100RPM during cold startup and is about 550-600RPM when warm. It used to dip just below 500 which was causing extreme vibration, like the car was going to die. I've caught quite a bit of oil in the time I have had it, I'd say it has climbed to about half full of oil in 8 months, all of which would have been burned if I hadn't had this OCC. If you're on the fence about it for whatever reason, GET ONE. Very very easy to install.
Old 01-23-17, 09:55 AM
wireeater
Driver School Candidate

So for those that have had the CSP performed. How has your car performed since that time. How many miles do you have now since the teardown?
Old 01-23-17, 04:40 PM
freeflight
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gohanburne
Figured I'd chime in since I have had my OCC installed for quite awhile now. Good 8 months or so. Installing the OCC raised my idle ever-so-slightly, which fixed my issue with it bogging way down at stops. Stays at around 1,000-1,100RPM during cold startup and is about 550-600RPM when warm. It used to dip just below 500 which was causing extreme vibration, like the car was going to die. I've caught quite a bit of oil in the time I have had it, I'd say it has climbed to about half full of oil in 8 months, all of which would have been burned if I hadn't had this OCC. If you're on the fence about it for whatever reason, GET ONE. Very very easy to install.
Thanks for the report. I am interested in OCC. Can you share a link?
Old 01-23-17, 10:02 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by wireeater
So for those that have had the CSP performed. How has your car performed since that time. How many miles do you have now since the teardown?

I had mine done about 1.5 years ago. As of now, everything is hanging in there at an acceptable level. But it's not perfect. Instead of almost stalling when idling at a stop, I once in a while get a rough idle at a stop that drops the rpms a couple hundred. The car shakes for about five seconds, then straightens itself out. If this does happen, it only happens when the engine is at 75% warm (not completely warmed up). It's much better than it was before, when the car felt like it was about to stall completely. But it's still something that gets my attention and that isn't quite right. For a free rebuild job and extended warranty, I am okay with it all. I will bring it up again on my next service visit, but I have a good hunch there is really not much more the dealer can do.
Old 01-24-17, 01:13 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Can you guys that have receive the warranty fix from the dealer post your receipts online.
The dealer is trying to charge me 9k for the build up carbon repair. I thought the repair only cost $6500 - $7200.
Old 01-24-17, 02:31 PM
mims916
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
Can you guys that have receive the warranty fix from the dealer post your receipts online.
The dealer is trying to charge me 9k for the build up carbon repair. I thought the repair only cost $6500 - $7200.
that's about right. Lexus of Sacramento was going to charge me $8k. I took their offer of a free engine top clean...car rode like crap afterwards...it dragged and wouldn't pick up speed like it used to. (No, I don't race in my car however, if I'm stepping on the gas I expect the car to get up and go). Long story short, I traded my baby for a 2016 Civic.
Old 01-24-17, 02:35 PM
mims916
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wireeater
After the top engine clean (I didn't do the whatever its called that would've costed me $8k)...but after the top engine clean my car dragged and wouldn't pick up speed like it used to. I'm the only that drives my car and its the only car I drive so I felt the difference after I got it back. Even after the top engine clean, I still experienced the shakes, choking and losing power on the freeway. I do regular driving and even with that when I come to a complete stop at a red light the car would shake/choke and the rpm would flutter. I didn't want to risk my life, my child's life and the lives of others so I traded my car after 2 months of having the top engine clean done. I was bummed but it is what it is. I'm disgusted how Lexus knew of this and still wants to charge its customers for a known issue. I went and bought a brand new civic. I hope the new owner to my Lexus knows how to fix cars so he wouldn't have the same issues as I had.
Old 01-24-17, 03:01 PM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

Well, it is now 2017, so my 2007 Lexus IS250 is out of warrant for this CSP, and I am just starting to have problems. I have been under the impression that I have had the CSP performed (the lady who sold me the car at 60k miles said it was done) and I have had no problems til now. I have multiple cylinder misfires and super rough idle, shaky car, everything... My question now is, were the pistons and rings replaced because they were damaged, or because they were changed for parts that were supposed to work better. If I can clean the engine and do proper maintenance to prevent build up (Oil Catch Can and Seafoam every few thousand miles) then I will be fine.. but if the pistons and rings are actually now going bad, then that is like $6,500 that Lexus charges for the rebuild. I talked to corporate and they said even if the car is diagnosed from a dealer with those problems, the CSP now no longer exists, and the only way I could get assistance is through the dealership.
Old 01-24-17, 03:42 PM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

Found this on the Lexus Owner's site, so the previous owner did report that she was having problems, but I cannot find anything in the service records that says that it was ever fixed... unless this is saying they fixed it?

Last edited by MDHLexus; 01-24-17 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Found out pistons WERE replaced
Old 01-24-17, 03:50 PM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

Just kidding, pistons WERE replaced. Is this then a defect on Lexus since I am having misfires again?
Old 01-24-17, 03:53 PM
mims916
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MDHLexus
Well, it is now 2017, so my 2007 Lexus IS250 is out of warrant for this CSP, and I am just starting to have problems. I have been under the impression that I have had the CSP performed (the lady who sold me the car at 60k miles said it was done) and I have had no problems til now. I have multiple cylinder misfires and super rough idle, shaky car, everything... My question now is, were the pistons and rings replaced because they were damaged, or because they were changed for parts that were supposed to work better. If I can clean the engine and do proper maintenance to prevent build up (Oil Catch Can and Seafoam every few thousand miles) then I will be fine.. but if the pistons and rings are actually now going bad, then that is like $6,500 that Lexus charges for the rebuild. I talked to corporate and they said even if the car is diagnosed from a dealer with those problems, the CSP now no longer exists, and the only way I could get assistance is through the dealership.
Mine was a 2006...with 145k miles. I started noticing the issue around 120k miles...it got worse and worse. Lexus was going to charge me an arm and a leg so I traded my car in. When I first noticed the issues I asked my ex husband and he said it was misfiring and that I needed to get it fixed asap before it got worse. when I took it to Lexus to get a diagnostic they said since the lights weren't on when I took the car in they couldn't or wouldn't pin point it. I think my car had a mind of its own, everytime I would drive it it always acted up but when I took it to the dealer it was on its best behavior. so I gave up. even after the top engine clean that didn't help.

Good luck! Hopefully the dealership will help.
Old 01-25-17, 02:36 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks, mims916 for the response.
My car is still at the dealership. The dealer said Lexus offer me a Goodwill of 2700.00 towards the 9k bill. REALLY!
I call corporate and ask for them to cover the entire bill. I should receive a response on Friday. No matter what happens I plan to get rid the vehicle. The car is use as a daily driver so I need something reliable.
Old 01-25-17, 03:44 PM
mims916
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rogers2
Thanks, mims916 for the response.
My car is still at the dealership. The dealer said Lexus offer me a Goodwill of 2700.00 towards the 9k bill. REALLY!
I call corporate and ask for them to cover the entire bill. I should receive a response on Friday. No matter what happens I plan to get rid the vehicle. The car is use as a daily driver so I need something reliable.
That totally bites! Hopefully corporate will give you better news. I think the only good thing I got out of it was being given a loaner and trying out the IS and NX for a few days...but after the customer service I got from the CSP, I probably won't buy another Lexus. I've owned 3 IS's prior (2001 and 2004). But gosh darn it, I loved the way the new IS handled...the NX was a cute little car too.

Anyhow, good luck again!!!

Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP