Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Sister is looking for a car, need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-17, 08:25 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The new QX30 looks good. I didn't suggest it just yet because its so new, I don't know its reliability, and its using that anemic Benz turbo 4.
QX30 rear seat is also not where I would want to regularly put clients in.
Old 02-07-17, 08:59 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

with that budget she could easily get a Highlander XLE, those are very nice and can be gotten with rear captains chairs for that "individualized rear seat experience" lol, every XLE will have a full leather interior with heated front seats, navigation and XM radio, a moonroof, automatic high beams, radar cruise control, and the 3.5 liter V6. plus it's also just a very nice car to drive and ride in, and idk how many miles a year she'd be doing but if it was only 10,000 a year she wouldn't have to pay 1 cent toward maintenance.

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Rogue or QX30
a Rogue? lol come on man
Old 02-07-17, 11:09 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ Yeah, I'm going to smack anybody else that suggests a Nissan lol.

One of my favorites in the 2 row, under $50k SUV is the Jeep Grand Cherokee. You might even be able to squeak in right around 40k or under if you don't want a loaded Summit model. Stick with the V6(or base engine in whatever you get), as there aren't very many roads in Hawaii where you can drive more than 55mph and appreciate the extra power anyways.

Also keep in mind lease deals in Hawaii might be SIGNIFICANTLY more than what they are in the mainland United States. Everything there is more expensive, including cars.

Last edited by Aron9000; 02-07-17 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02-08-17, 06:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,698 Likes on 1,935 Posts

I'd get something that has some luxury panache. Being in real estate myself I know, your car helps give you credibility when you're new to the business. Something like the RDX would be perfect, or even the MKC.
Old 02-08-17, 06:38 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

^^^^ true, then again I wouldn't roll up in a brand new Lexus LX or something either
Old 02-08-17, 06:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
^^^^ true, then again I wouldn't roll up in a brand new Lexus LX or something either
Depends on your clientele. Anyways such a car is out of budget, but something with some panache is certainly in budget.
Old 02-08-17, 09:05 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Saw the all new CRV a few days ago was impressive. That?
Old 02-08-17, 09:10 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Nobody else has so I will...

Dodge Durango GT:

Or, a Hyundai Santa Fe:
Old 02-08-17, 09:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne

Dodge Durango GT:
Not that there is anything wrong with the Durango (there isn't), but, if you bring it up, why not the Jeep Grand Cherokee?.......pretty much the same platform/drivetrains, with a more-plush interior and trim.
Old 02-08-17, 09:50 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not that there is anything wrong with the Durango (there isn't), but, if you bring it up, why not the Jeep Grand Cherokee?.......pretty much the same platform/drivetrains, with a more-plush interior and trim.
Because Aron9000 already suggested it above, ArmyOfOne wanted to add specific vehicles that hadn't been mentioned yet.
Old 02-08-17, 10:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
with that budget she could easily get a Highlander XLE, those are very nice and can be gotten with rear captains chairs for that "individualized rear seat experience" lol, every XLE will have a full leather interior with heated front seats, navigation and XM radio, a moonroof, automatic high beams, radar cruise control, and the 3.5 liter V6. plus it's also just a very nice car to drive and ride in, and idk how many miles a year she'd be doing but if it was only 10,000 a year she wouldn't have to pay 1 cent toward maintenance.

a Rogue? lol come on man
A Toyota Highlander would be the best out of all possible options so far.
Old 02-08-17, 10:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would only choose the Durango over the Jeep if I had a need for the second row. IMHO the Jeep is a much nicer package inside.

Nothing wrong with the new CR-V, but I'm telling you...rolling up to somebody's house you want to list, or taking buyers out to look at houses, a CR-V doesn't give you any credit boost. If you've been in business for a long time and have a reputation and a track record, honestly who cares what you drive, but when you're new and you're trying to make people not realize that you are new, a nice luxury or premium branded car helps over an economy car.

In fact, I'm teaching a training on Friday for new agents and thats segment 3 of my training, what you drive and why it matters.
Old 02-08-17, 01:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I would only choose the Durango over the Jeep if I had a need for the second row. IMHO the Jeep is a much nicer package inside.
Definitely.

In fact, I'm teaching a training on Friday for new agents and thats segment 3 of my training, what you drive and why it matters.
I guess I'm not a candidate for that class LOL. When I bought my condo, I couldn't care less what my agent drove......as long as he or she did their job.
Old 02-08-17, 01:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I guess I'm not a candidate for that class LOL. When I bought my condo, I didn't care less what my agent drove......as long as he or she did their job.
People care about things and use different information to make decisions about people subconsciously that they don't even realize they are using. People's clothes matter, how they appear matters, how they present themselves when you first meet them matters.

You say that you didn't care what they drove....you wanted them to do a good job. Okay, when somebody pulls up in your driveway to list your house, or you see them for the first time...how do you determine whether or not they will do a good job for you? If they have been recommended to you, or sell a lot of homes in your neighborhood, or have a ton of great reviews and a track record of success those are all ways....but...what if somebody has none of those things because they are new? You go with what your impression of them is as a person and a professional when you meet them. Like it or not, that impression is impacted by what car they are driving, what clothes they are wearing, whether they are fat, thin, tall or short, how they look, how they speak and carry themselves. This is human nature.

When you are out with an agent and they are showing you homes, their car is a big part of the impression you are going to form of them, which is why its important. Its not that she can't be successful with a CR-V, she certainly can, but having something like an RDX or an MKC or something like that will project a more successful and professional image which will help her a little bit while she's new, and down the line when she's successful also. I've been doing this for going on 15 years, I'm telling you that this is absolutely 100% factual truth. Its the same way if they show up in nicely tailored clothes that are stylish and fit well, vs something off the rack that makes them look frumpy.

It goes both ways BTW. I was at a walkthrough for a $650,000 TH a few months ago (which as you know is not a super expensive home here, very ordinary), they were my buyers and the listing agent rolls up in a $230,000 Bentley Continental GT. Thats just stupid. You want people to think you're overpaid? Drive that around and tell them they should pay you 3% of the value of their home. My clients laughed out loud...so yes people do notice.

This absolutely goes into my decision about what I drive. Its the #1 reason I chose the LS over a Jag XJ. The XJ is no costlier, in fact its a little cheaper...but its way flashier and more ostentatious. The Lexus LS is a great salesman's car, it projects success and gives you a great driving experience without slapping your wealth in peoples faces...because yeah...good salespeople make a lot of money.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-08-17 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-08-17, 01:27 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Thanks for the responses all!

Originally Posted by JDR76
With gas prices in Hawaii I'd consider something like a RAV4 Hybrid or even a Soul EV.
RAV4 Hybrid I'll suggest it, though I'm not overly impressed with the current generation and the 2014 I sampled with the 2.5 a few years ago. They've put it through a refresh since then I guess.

Originally Posted by dseag2
Our '16 Accord is pretty quiet. Also, the 4 banger is pretty peppy and the CVT transmission doesn't drone! It is actually my cousin's car, but I drive it on weekends.

Honda may have addressed the noise in the CR-V as well. The Accord leased at $340 per month for 3 years with virtually nothing down. It is a base model but is pretty well equipped with back-up camera and dual-zone A/C and will accommodate Apple Car Play.
Def one of the most solid choices for a sedan out there. Think she wants something a little higher off the ground but a good choice. Do you know if the back seats are 60/40 split for real-estate signage?

Originally Posted by sorptd
Another option could be the new Buick Envision. The interior & overall refinement is much better than the mainstream options like Forester, Crosstrek, CX-5, CR-V and you should be able to lease one for less than $ 400 / month.
Didn't think about the Buick Envision. Haven't really seen any on the road yet. Is this model related to the latest GMC Acadia? That one is a little more handsome IMO. Her choice though hah.

Originally Posted by yardie876
Hyundai Tucson maybe? Lease deals on them look pretty decent...
A friends gf has a newish 2016, and the interior fit and finish has been very disappointing. Falling apart already with only a few thousands miles.

Originally Posted by pbm317
QX30 rear seat is also not where I would want to regularly put clients in.
Point taken

Originally Posted by Stroock639
I'd forgotten that Toyota does two years complimentary maintenance. Latest Highlander looks good

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I'd get something that has some luxury panache. Being in real estate myself I know, your car helps give you credibility when you're new to the business. Something like the RDX would be perfect, or even the MKC.
I'd prefer she had that luxury/premium vehicle in that regard to. Luckily a few models mentioned above like the Highlander and Jeep Grand Cherokee have some decently upscale cabin materials.

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne

Dodge Durango GT

Or, a Hyundai Santa Fe:
Always had a soft spot for the Durango (I hear a Hellcat or SRT version is coming soon), though it might be a little on the larger side. Decent amenities and size for the price.

I like the look of the latest Santa Fe, but even though it's a lease, the experience with the Tuscon my friends have is a little off putting.

Quick Reply: Sister is looking for a car, need suggestions