LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

460 SWB vs 430 rear legroom

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-17, 03:59 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 507 Likes on 385 Posts

Even my dad's '74 Valiant 4 door was larger than my LS. No power steering, no power brakes, lol. Now THOSE cars were hard to park and manoeuver!

Throw in all the power options, back up camera, back-up sensors, turning radius.. and one could be blind and still park it.

Last edited by roadfrog; 02-10-17 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-10-17, 05:24 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Even my dad's '74 Valiant 4 door was larger than my LS. No power steering, no power brakes, lol. Now THOSE cars were hard to park and manoeuver!

Throw in all the power options, back up camera, back-up sensors, turning radius.. and one could be blind and still park it.
I have to agree here, however, I'm wondering if some are speaking about the hassle of trying to park in more urbanized areas -- downtown area's/street and/or parallel parking, parking decks, etc. But even then, with the sensors, adjusting side views that tilt downward when in reverse, back-up cam and decent depth perception, this car, to me, isn't difficult to park at all, and I have an L.
Not sure if I should attribute this to the fact that I've mostly driven larger suv's or not, but unless your in an area where the parking spaces just aren't large enough (and that could be the case even with a base), I haven't found parking to be a task. As a matter of fact, I find parking this car - even parallel parking, quite easy.
Old 02-10-17, 05:47 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
I have to agree here, however, I'm wondering if some are speaking about the hassle of trying to park in more urbanized areas -- downtown area's/street and/or parallel parking, parking decks, etc. But even then, with the sensors, adjusting side views that tilt downward when in reverse, back-up cam and decent depth perception, this car, to me, isn't difficult to park at all, and I have an L.
Not sure if I should attribute this to the fact that I've mostly driven larger suv's or not, but unless your in an area where the parking spaces just aren't large enough (and that could be the case even with a base), I haven't found parking to be a task. As a matter of fact, I find parking this car - even parallel parking, quite easy.
Great points, everyone. I do pride myself on being a pretty decent parallel parker with the Sienna, which had parking sensors but no backup camera. I usually only need one attempt to parallel park and I parallel park the LS 430 without issue. Typically, I park far away from others at the grocery store or at work. Where the 'L' may become challenging is mostly in parking garages downtown or forays into San Francisco. I often had to pass up available street parking simply because the Sienna physically could not fit in downtown Sacramento or SF. In some parking garages even the LS 430's rear sticks out a foot more than I'm comfortable having it. For 90% of situations, the Sienna was fine and I'm sure the 'L' would be fine too. I would need to re-arrange our garage though in order to safely park an 'L' in it. I am willing to do this if I was 100% sure an 'L' is meant for us. The bigger issue for me was the driving sensation of too much car behind me. Maybe I would get used to it. For now, I am trying to keep an open mind towards both SWB and LWB.
Old 02-10-17, 09:55 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 507 Likes on 385 Posts

I have to agree here, however, I'm wondering if some are speaking about the hassle of trying to park in more urbanized areas -- downtown area's/street and/or parallel parking, parking decks, etc.
Bah....I grew up in Vancouver and got my drivers licence there. Narrow streets with cars parked at both curbs, tight back alleys where the garage was and had to park in...walking to school in the snow uphill in both directions.....
Old 02-10-17, 11:25 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
My 03 430 had tilting rear view mirrors but my 08L doesn't ...is there a hidden switch somewhere to turn them on or was this not a standard option?
Old 02-11-17, 05:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
My 03 430 had tilting rear view mirrors but my 08L doesn't ...is there a hidden switch somewhere to turn them on or was this not a standard option?
Your 08 has them too. Set the mirror adjustment switch to the left or right mirror instead of center.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-11-17 at 05:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
1WILLY1 (02-13-17)
Old 02-11-17, 05:59 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

Its in the same location and similar to the one in your 430 that you adjust your left and right side mirrors. It should have been a standard option.
Old 02-11-17, 07:09 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

While in the whole scheme of things 5 inches is not all that much, I am not sure if an L model would fit in my garage. Amazingly, my LX470 fit just barely, but when I had a Ram Crew Cab rental it was not even close in terms of fitting and my SWB 460 fits, but I do rely on the sensors to get to the second line before parking.

Just cannot believe a house built in the late 90's and relatively large has such a stupidly short garage. Oh well. And for sure, if living on the East Coast in cities like DC, Boston, NYC, Philly and so forth that far predated even the thought of the automobile, those extra inches can make all the difference.
Old 02-12-17, 08:59 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

So took the whole family out to test drive some SUVs that we were considering. The 2014 MDX is absolutely out. I liked what I read about it and thought the hidden trunk storage was nifty. Ride quality was okay for a SUV, of course not LS-like. What really turned me off was the obvious cheap materials and sea of plastic everywhere. I used to not care about this stuff in my youth but it really felt like a step down, even coming from a 2006 430. Although the 430 Mark Levinson doesn't sound as good as the 2007+ 460s, it is light years ahead of the MDX audio system. My goodness I couldn't stand listening to the MDX system and quickly experienced ear fatigue. I have a better appreciation for audio now after owning and listening to true quality speakers that don't tire you out when listening to music of all types.

Saved the best for last when we visited Lexus of Sacramento. I am not a fan of this particular Lexus dealership, but they were the only one in town with a 2014 LS. Unfortunately, they were already prepping the white 2014 460 SWB to transport it to a lady in Lodi so the family and I were unable to test drive and experience the 2014 460. I did sit in a 2017 ultra white 460 F Sport and found the rear legroom very comparable to our current 430 after I adjusted the driver's seat to my liking. I do really prefer the 2013+ interior to previous 460s. I will go down to the local Carmax and test drive a 2013 or 2014 LS when I have more time. We had already been looking at cars for three hours and daughter was getting tired or else I would have asked to take the 2017 LS out for a drive.

Ultimately felt a LX 570 was too big and I don't think I want to keep driving a barge for the next 10 years, no matter how comfortable it is. The GX surprised me most. The GX is ungainly in photos but looked better in person. It also had more space than I expected (as long as you don't use the third row). Overall, the GX also felt very big on the outside. The day wasn't a completely waste as it helped us, as a family, rule out an SUV. Maybe down the road we will eventually upgrade my wife's ES to an RX since that would be perfect for her. Still so tempted by the 2017 'L' I saw parked next to the F Sport. That rear legroom is awe-inspiring, but 205 inches is a lot of car. Even the outer dimensions of the SWB is just an inch shy of our previous Sienna.
Old 02-12-17, 11:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah Acuras interiors are really disappointing, poor materials, outdated tech and look. They don't feel much better than Hondas.

I've been driving a lot of SUVs, I may get one when I'm done with my LS lease. For one I miss the versatility of having an SUV in the family, and there are huge tax advantages for me to purchase an SUV over 6,000 lbs GVWR.

Looking for something that provides the refinement, isolation, comfort and interior quality of the LS in an SUV is a tall order. The LX comes close, but there are some poor materials inside and it's really a beast, not relaxing to drive like the LS. Really to get that whole package you have to go to a Range Rover, the big one, although the Sport is very nice also, but has some lower rent materials inside. The big Range Rover is the whole package, great ride, silent inside, no cheap materials anywhere. Expensive though.

Another SUV that I like a lot is the new Audi Q7, interior is kind of cold, but they ride great especially with the air suspension, and are very quiet. That would be a worthy LS replacement in every respect but the interior.

Really outside of that, all of them leave me wanting...and I've driven them all. GX is terrible inside IMHO.
Old 02-12-17, 11:14 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Yeah Acuras interiors are really disappointing, poor materials, outdated tech and look. They don't feel much better than Hondas.

I've been driving a lot of SUVs, I may get one when I'm done with my LS lease. For one I miss the versatility of having an SUV in the family, and there are huge tax advantages for me to purchase an SUV over 6,000 lbs GVWR.

Looking for something that provides the refinement, isolation, comfort and interior quality of the LS in an SUV is a tall order. The LX comes close, but there are some poor materials inside and it's really a beast, not relaxing to drive like the LS. Really to get that whole package you have to go to a Range Rover, the big one, although the Sport is very nice also, but has some lower rent materials inside. The big Range Rover is the whole package, great ride, silent inside, no cheap materials anywhere. Expensive though.

Another SUV that I like a lot is the new Audi Q7, interior is kind of cold, but they ride great especially with the air suspension, and are very quiet. That would be a worthy LS replacement in every respect but the interior.

Really outside of that, all of them leave me wanting...and I've driven them all. GX is terrible inside IMHO.
Thanks, Steve, that's very helpful. I have always liked the Q7 styling and also liked both the Q7 and Land Rover RR based on what I read online but have never driven either. A colleague drives a new A6 and I thought it was very nice inside, if a little spartan. I like the higher position of our past Sequoia and Tundra but just not eager to relive the lumbering ride. May have to test drive a Q7 and RR just to experience what you shared.
Old 02-12-17, 11:30 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Thanks, Steve, that's very helpful. I have always liked the Q7 styling and also liked both the Q7 and Land Rover RR based on what I read online but have never driven either. A colleague drives a new A6 and I thought it was very nice inside, if a little spartan. I like the higher position of our past Sequoia and Tundra but just not eager to relive the lumbering ride. May have to test drive a Q7 and RR just to experience what you shared.
What?!?! A 2014 Q7 is same length as a 2013+ LS 460 SWB, and in the same price range (actually a little less)! The year Range Rover I'd want, based purely on styling, is way beyond our budget. But that Q7 is a surprise and worth at least a test drive.
Old 02-12-17, 11:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Now the old Q7 is a different matter, the all new for 2017 Q7 is what I'm talking about, which had a lot of improvements over the previous Q7. I wasn't nearly as impressed with the old Q7 as I am the new Q7:

Spec'ed out exactly like I would want a Q7 Prestige new is $76k...which I expect to be ~ $20k less than an equally equipped LS500.
Old 02-12-17, 12:03 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Now the old Q7 is a different matter, the all new for 2017 Q7 is what I'm talking about, which had a lot of improvements over the previous Q7. I wasn't nearly as impressed with the old Q7 as I am the new Q7:

Spec'ed out exactly like I would want a Q7 Prestige new is $76k...which I expect to be ~ $20k less than an equally equipped LS500.
I see. Yea, in photos the 2014 Q7 interior isn't up to the level of a 2014 LS. We already doubled our budget from the initial $20K. Can't quadruple it to accommodate a 2016+ Q7. Very nice photos though.
Old 02-12-17, 12:28 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Ultimately felt a LX 570 was too big and I don't think I want to keep driving a barge for the next 10 years, no matter how comfortable it is. The GX surprised me most. The GX is ungainly in photos but looked better in person. It also had more space than I expected (as long as you don't use the third row). Overall, the GX also felt very big on the outside. The day wasn't a completely waste as it helped us, as a family, rule out an SUV. Maybe down the road we will eventually upgrade my wife's ES to an RX since that would be perfect for her. Still so tempted by the 2017 'L' I saw parked next to the F Sport. That rear legroom is awe-inspiring, but 205 inches is a lot of car. Even the outer dimensions of the SWB is just an inch shy of our previous Sienna.
The LX570 may seem like a barge but it is only 199 inches long. 205 inches isn't that all that long although the LS460L I test drove in 2011 seemed seemed huge and bigger than it was. Some SUV's are much larger. The Chevy Suburban and Yukon XL are 225 inches long and friends and relatives that have them don't seem to have difficulty driving them and finding parking places.

If you want massive rear legroom, go back to the Sienna which which is slightly longer and wider than the LX570. When our Sienna Limited is in what I call "four passenger mode", both rear (adult) passengers can use the ottoman leg rests when the front seats are occupied. The only sedans I've seen that can do that are the Maybach 62 and Mercedes S-class Pullman. Here's a slightly altered photo showing my wife the first time she saw the Sienna when when I picked her up at the airport - I gave her a glass of her favorite Pinot Grigio wine and put one of favorite movies on the overhead video screen.

I considered buying "just one more LS" in early 2014 before I decided on the Sienna but only if I could get one in white with PCS and DRCC. I don't know how hard the Lexus dealer person really tried but he told me that he was unable to find a white SWB LS460 with PCS/DRCC although I think he found one in black. It took exactly four weeks to get a white Sienna with PCS and DRCC custom built to my specifications. After decades of driving Mercedes and Lexus sedans, it's unexpectedly refreshing to drive a high feature "stealth limo" that almost nobody pays attention to ... until they get inside it.
Attached Thumbnails 460 SWB vs 430 rear legroom-airport-3.jpg  

Quick Reply: 460 SWB vs 430 rear legroom