RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Had PCS experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-17, 09:37 AM
Lexus1998
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Had PCS experience

I have about 11k on my RX and never had a PCS experience until today in any Lexus.

Was traveling about 25 MPH in stop and go taffic with SUV in front of me, he started to brake slow not sudden and I had a good amount of space in front of me all of sudden the radio muted and where it shows the gas and mile details I could swear changed from black/white to red and said Brake just the middle portion. I say swear it turned red because I am still second guessing was it really red or did my mind just make it up, but I do know for fact it said brake and radio did mute because I saw mute icon. Then everything returned to normal and radio resumed on its own.

The SUV wasn't that close to me and it wasn't sudden break they made, so I am thinking it's that my setting for PCS is set to far for warning which nay be reason it went off early, the other reason which I doubt because I don't think Lexus has this feature is that at time my head eyes were not looking straight ahead, I was turned in about 90' angle looking in back seat for my laptop bag.

I don't know got say it's nice to know it is working, if anyone else has seen it turn red please let me know because I am really curious if it was just in my head.
Brakes never triggered either.

Update just found this article about GS450H PCS system, does our RX have this you think?? Because this is exactly what I did...
"The system also uses an infrared camera to monitor the driver’s eyes. In the event that the driver does not appear to be looking forward when a collision appears imminent, the system will initiate warnings at an earlier threshold. If the driver still does not respond and make the appropriate maneuver, the system will initiate braking intervention up to 1.2 seconds prior to impact in an effort to help lessen the severity of any collision. With available Lexus Dynamic Handling, PCS will help further mitigate the occurrence of a collision."

Last edited by Lexus1998; 02-21-17 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-21-17, 09:46 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 225 Likes on 179 Posts

Yes, the center screen in the instrument cluster (or the right side screen for F-sport cluster) will turn red and flash the message "Brake!", while the radio will mute and you will hear a high beep. The car doesn't engage the brakes until the last second. You can set how sensitive you want PCS to be in settings in your instrument cluster (three bars is the most sensitive).
Old 02-21-17, 09:57 AM
Lexus1998
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for confirming its red, I have it set to three bars maybe I need to tone it down.
I am also researching the eye detection but all I seem to find is it's on 600h and GS450h and it looks like there is a box on steering column which I don't have unless the RX they relocated it. It would make sense because I know I been closer before with no alert and in this case I was not looking forward for sure so that would make sense if thats what triggered it.
Old 02-21-17, 06:29 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexus1998
Thanks for confirming its red, I have it set to three bars maybe I need to tone it down.
I am also researching the eye detection but all I seem to find is it's on 600h and GS450h and it looks like there is a box on steering column which I don't have unless the RX they relocated it. It would make sense because I know I been closer before with no alert and in this case I was not looking forward for sure so that would make sense if thats what triggered it.
They stopped offering the eye detection system a few years ago. The alert is triggered by closing distance between your car and the car in front; if it senses that you are approaching the car fairly quickly or too closely, it will sound the alert.
Old 02-21-17, 11:26 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus1998
the box you mention is the heads up display which also flashes the brake warning.
Old 02-21-17, 11:54 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by s4iscool
the box you mention is the heads up display which also flashes the brake warning.
Actually, OP is referring to the Driver Attention Monitor. It seems like Lexus is slowly moving away from this feature since it is missing on newer redesigned models. It monitored your eyes to make sure you were paying attention to the road. The only models that have Driver Attention Monitor in the 2017MY lineup is the LS and GX, both of which are at the end of their cycle and have pricey safety packages that adds features already included in Lexus Safety System+.