Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Lexus Becoming The Next Acura?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-17, 04:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

You're not the only person I'm talking about, and not all of them limit themselves to CarChat. The issue is not no longer owning a Lexus, or owning an old Lexus, the issue is being relentlessly and constantly negative about the brand and other generations of the cars. One can be critical without constantly being negative.

The issue is that almost every thread about a new model gets dragged down into relentless negativity to where quite frankly, it's not worth it to even post anything positive about a new model, in car chat or even in the model specific forums. Post a positive review of the LC for instance and watch.

I also read other car forums and I haven't found one where this happens as much as it does here. I'm not the only one who feels that way either.

Like I said being a Lexus fan here and being excited about the brand and where it's going is tough.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-03-17 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-03-17, 04:55 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

^
Go on new G30 forums for 5series - ppl complaining left and right.

Car forums are brutal and filled with opinions. I personally thinks there is less criticism here of Lexus then you have of BMW on BMW forums.
Old 03-03-17, 06:01 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Negativity and dumping on Lexus on a Lexus forum? Hard to be an enthusiast here? Seems to me Car Chat is the thread about all brands and types of cars so critical opinions are normal. Over 20 pages on this thread alone, the Lexus defenders have jumped up to defend the brand passionately and rebutted the OP quite extensively. The negative or critical opinions amount to about a dozen posts or less.

SW15LS aren't you the one that said you would walk away from the new LS if it wasn't priced according to your expectations and would go for the Genesis G90 which you have praised quite often? And are you not the one that's been busy dumping on the new Continental and have been arguing over transverse/FWD vs longitudinal/RWD platforms? Are you not a Kia owner?
Old 03-03-17, 07:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This is not a Lincoln forum, choosing to purchase or not purchase a car based on pricing is a personal decision which I have discussed. Yes, I own cars other than Lexus cars.

I am not however consistently negative about the Lexus brand. Being critical here and there is not the same as being consistently negative. Some members here post nothing but negative viewpoints, and it's the same viewpoint over and over again.

This is not just an issue in the Car Chat forum, it's an issue in the model specific forums too. The moderators are aware of it and certain people are barred from access to certain model forums.
Old 03-03-17, 07:34 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Let's get this thread back on topic folks.
Old 03-04-17, 09:08 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Another thing about Lexus grill is that the entire nose sticks out way too far. It's out of proportion to me. The RX is a prime example, although they seem to be doing this with all of the newer cars.

It looks ungainly and front heavy. It's like they're trying to accentuate the spindle grill even more.

The RX, IS and GS all have this front heavy, stick out design. The new LS has it too.

It's like a double negative. I would shrink the spindle grill, make it more flush and not as pointy and chop off two or three inches from the nose in general.

Old 03-04-17, 09:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Another thing about Lexus grill is that the entire nose sticks out way too far. It's out of proportion to me. The RX is a prime example, although they seem to be doing this with all of the newer cars.

It looks ungainly and front heavy. It's like they're trying to accentuate the spindle grill even more.

The RX, IS and GS all have this front heavy, stick out design. The new LS has it too.

It's like a double negative. I would shrink the spindle grill, make it more flush and not as pointy and chop off two or three inches from the nose in general.
A lot of what you're seeing there is the FWD/transverse architecture of the RX...the engine sits in front of the front wheels.

If you look at the LS500 you see the additional space between the front wheels and the front doors.

A pre-spindle LS460 for comparison, overhang is pretty similar:

Even if we go all the way back to an LS400, if you look you'll see the overhang, pretty similar:

Old 03-04-17, 09:21 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah maybe the new LS isn't as bad, but RX is wretched. Looks like a hot wheel body shell glued over an existing car.

The IS has that pointy beak too and GS as well. Out-of-proportioned and looks unnatural to me.
Old 03-04-17, 09:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah maybe the new LS isn't as bad, but RX is wretched. Looks like a hot wheel body shell glued over an existing car.

The IS has that pointy beak too and GS as well. Out-of-proportioned and looks unnatural to me.
I agree about the RX, I think that overhang looks awful, and it's more pronounced on the refresh IS and GS I also agree. The GS almost looks like it has an underbite.
Old 03-04-17, 06:48 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

True, the ES & RX's front overhangs are on the long side because the engine is mounted transversely in front of the front axle.

What makes the ES/RX's nose cone even longer is the fact that the latest designs use "low" swoopy headlights.
The slimmer the headlights, the longer the front nose cone...

Last edited by peteharvey; 03-04-17 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-05-17, 08:10 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah they do stick out more. Just looks weird and out of proportioned to me. Unnatural is the word that comes to mind and that shouldn't be a used adjective when it comes to cars.

I know hindsight is 20/20, but what if Lexus kept its conservative style?

I personally think it's easier to sell boring and conservative while using other attributes, like reliability and performance, as the selling points.

It's a tougher sell when the styling just looks funny, and by all accounts is controversial. That's a lot to overcome, where people can look past conservative styling to get those wanted attributes.

In other words, I think with polarizing style, the pool of potential buyers shrink, versus boring and conservative, when weighing all other attributes. It kind of hamstrings you imo.
Old 03-05-17, 09:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If you read and listen to why they've said, they recognize that their new cars may cost them sales, but they want to build emotional cars a boring cars.
Old 03-05-17, 09:23 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Being an optimist, I keep thinking/hoping that Lexus will revise and refine the spindle grill as the model year go by to reflect changing styling tends and tastes. All auto makers do it and it's a relatively cheap and quick fix to make.
Old 03-05-17, 09:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think they will and already have...
Old 03-05-17, 09:46 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Yeah they do stick out more. Just looks weird and out of proportioned to me. Unnatural is the word that comes to mind and that shouldn't be a used adjective when it comes to cars.

I know hindsight is 20/20, but what if Lexus kept its conservative style?

I personally think it's easier to sell boring and conservative while using other attributes, like reliability and performance, as the selling points.

It's a tougher sell when the styling just looks funny, and by all accounts is controversial. That's a lot to overcome, where people can look past conservative styling to get those wanted attributes.

In other words, I think with polarizing style, the pool of potential buyers shrink, versus boring and conservative, when weighing all other attributes. It kind of hamstrings you imo.
I think their goal was to increase sales in the younger demographic. Having an average buyer age over 60 is a big concern of theirs. I know I would never have bought a Lexus if their current lineup looked like stuff pre spindle grill.

Quick Reply: Is Lexus Becoming The Next Acura?