Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Top Five (Six) Most Annoying Vehicle Technologies

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-17, 08:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default The Top Five (Six) Most Annoying Vehicle Technologies

I like this video. I can agree with it almost 100%. Newer is not always better. Sometimes it just adds to frustration.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-03-17 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-04-17, 10:19 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Keyless entry?
Gear selector?
HUD?
LDA?
Auto Start/Stop?
Auto braking?
Center stack interface?

All of these are easy to understand, and honestly don't require much thought. The only one I agree is a pain is Auto Start/Stop.

The main problem is people don't take the time to learn and understand what the features do on their car, just like they probably don't on their smartphone. There are many resources at a car owners disposal now, whether its staff at a dealership to train you on your vehicle after the sale, your owners manuals (physical and app), online manufacturer websites and ownership resources connecting you and your car ex. Lexusdrivers.com.
Old 03-04-17, 11:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Keyless entry?
Gear selector?
HUD?
LDA?
Auto Start/Stop?
Auto braking?
Center stack interface?

All of these are easy to understand, and honestly don't require much thought. The only one I agree is a pain is Auto Start/Stop.

The main problem is people don't take the time to learn and understand what the features do on their car, just like they probably don't on their smartphone.
I have't seen an E-Shifter yet that I thought was easy to use. If or when I do, I'll be the first to mention it.
Old 03-04-17, 11:40 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

FTW I heard Ford after watching this video halted all development and production on their platforms and instead has decided to make the 2017 Model T as their one and only offering from now on.

Brian Cooley is great at whole car reviews and is brutally honest. Sometimes tho he tends to "find problems where there are none" to make sure he gets his views up.
Old 03-04-17, 11:58 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Parking sensors. Totally irrelevant tech now days that all cars have backup cameras. I hate how they beep and squak at you when you get near something, then you freak out, then realize you are nowhere near hitting something. They were great when Cadillac(I think the Seville was the first car with sonar parking sensors in the rear bumper) first debuted them 20 years ago, but cheap camera systems have made them unnecessary. I also have to laugh at Mini Coopers that had them in the front and rear bumper. If you can't figure out how to park that car, you don't need to be on the road.
Old 03-04-17, 12:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber
FTW I heard Ford after watching this video halted all development and production on their platforms and instead has decided to make the 2017 Model T as their one and only offering from now on.
Look at what the Model T actually accomplished, though. You can thank most of the modern auto industry for what Ford perfected.....the moving assembly-line.

Brian Cooley is great at whole car reviews and is brutally honest. Sometimes tho he tends to "find problems where there are none" to make sure he gets his views up.
This time, though, he didn't have to go looking for problems.....they are right there, staring us in the face.
Old 03-04-17, 12:36 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by coolsaber

I thought this as well.
Old 03-04-17, 02:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

I agree in general with the list, but not really with #1. I've had keyless technology in cars since 2004, and it hasn't changed much in that time, and I don't see what the issue is with the implementation of the tech. You walk up to the car, put your hand on the door handle and it unlocks. Press the start button and it starts. Press it again it turns off. Press the button on the door handle and it locks...not sure how else somebody would want to make the system work better? I agree one day it will be integrated with your phone, but until such time as they can do that easily and securely I don't see what the issue is with carrying this:

Instead of this:

And simply not having to take it out of your pocket or purse to unlock, lock, and start the car? They're not really any more expensive either...those master keys were like $250 when they were being used too. Sure they're cheaper than simple metal keys, but they're much more secure and convenient. In a world where we all carry around a $700 smart phone I don't see the issue with carrying around a $200 smart key.
Old 03-04-17, 03:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I agree in general with the list, but not really with #1. I've had keyless technology in cars since 2004, and it hasn't changed much in that time, and I don't see what the issue is with the implementation of the tech. You walk up to the car, put your hand on the door handle and it unlocks. Press the start button and it starts. Press it again it turns off. Press the button on the door handle and it locks...not sure how else somebody would want to make the system work better? I agree one day it will be integrated with your phone, but until such time as they can do that easily and securely I don't see what the issue is with carrying this:

Instead of this:

And simply not having to take it out of your pocket or purse to unlock, lock, and start the car? They're not really any more expensive either...those master keys were like $250 when they were being used too. Sure they're cheaper than simple metal keys, but they're much more secure and convenient. In a world where we all carry around a $700 smart phone I don't see the issue with carrying around a $200 smart key.
I think what he's saying is that it is not a TRUE keyless remote entry...simply an electronic "key" that has to be in the vicinity. A true remote system would not require an electronic fob.....you could do it, for example, with a code on your cell phone. One thing, though, that he forget to mention (and I forgot too, when I opened the thread)...........Lincoln has had a system like that for years....a row of buttons near the door lock. You press a factory-set code, and the doors open without a key.

http://owner.lincoln.com/how-tos/veh...ry-keypad.html

Old 03-04-17, 04:18 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think what he's saying is that it is not a TRUE keyless remote entry...simply an electronic "key" that has to be in the vicinity. A true remote system would not require an electronic fob.....you could do it, for example, with a code on your cell phone. One thing, though, that he forget to mention (and I forgot too, when I opened the thread)...........Lincoln has had a system like that for years....a row of buttons near the door lock. You press a factory-set code, and the doors open without a key.

http://owner.lincoln.com/how-tos/veh...ry-keypad.html

Ford and Lincoln. My 2003 Explorer had one similar to the picture you posted. While some models still have that option, some newer ones like the Fusion are far sleeker, and will now light up when in use and turn off leaving only a black pillar.

Old 03-04-17, 06:19 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Ford and Lincoln and Nissan. My 2003 Explorer had one similar to the picture you posted. While some models still have that option, some newer ones like the Fusion are far sleeker, and will now light up when in use and turn off leaving only a black pillar.

Corrected for you.
Old 03-04-17, 08:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Yeah people forget about this and Nissans.

Ford re had this for a long time. My dads 90 Continental had it, as did my 95 Explorer. Like that feature a lot, not as much as modern keyless systems though.
Old 03-04-17, 10:22 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Disagree with most of the list, except for the annoying gear shift levers. Keyless entry and start is one of the best inventions to modern cars. Keeping everything in pocket, can't get any more convenient.
Old 03-05-17, 03:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Disagree with most of the list, except for the annoying gear shift levers. Keyless entry and start is one of the best inventions to modern cars. Keeping everything in pocket, can't get any more convenient.
..............until you lose a fob, or worse, it gets stolen.
Old 03-05-17, 03:43 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
..............until you lose a fob, or worse, it gets stolen.
I don't think that's any worse than losing a key. Either way you are stranded and have to use a spare. Plus I can't think of a time in my 30 years of driving I've ever lost a fob or it's gotten stolen. Driver responsibility goes a long way, and those who are careless should not create inconvenient means for others who are mindful. Same mentality should apply when on the road as well as when at home and the car is parked.

Perhaps a fob/keyless entry plus a keypad on the car would be the best combination.

Quick Reply: The Top Five (Six) Most Annoying Vehicle Technologies