GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

body roll with 2014 GS350

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-17, 01:37 PM
Speed3381
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

True that. Can't compare a GS to an IS. Two totally different cars.

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Of course the IS has less body roll and handles better. It's a much smaller, lighter more sport focused car. Do you think a 5 Series has more body roll and handles less securely than a 3 Series? It does.

If you want a car that handles like an IS, stay in an IS.

If you want the best handling GS, it's the F Sport with AVS (outside of the GS-F) it's not the basic model.

It's all about perspective. Comparing a basic stock GS to a modified or even a stock IS makes no sense.

It would be like me complaining that my LS has more body roll than my GS did. Of course it does. It's a much larger, heavier car built for a different segment and customer.
Old 03-11-17, 02:36 PM
GudSht350
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok then.
Let's talk our family 2007 Accord vs my 2014 GS.

The accord is not much smaller, if at all than the GS. But it handles very well and barely has body roll.
Same for various other luxury cars like Mercedes E class, BMW 3 series, etc.
Old 03-11-17, 03:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

That 2007 Accord also rides hard as a rock, I have a good friend with that generation Accord and ride in it often. It rides like ****. Perhaps it has "less body roll", but it rides terrible, and it's a front heavy transverse FWD car and it doesn't actually handle anything like a GS. If you think dynamically that car feels better on a back country road than even a base suspension GS you're not seeing what makes one car actually handle better than another car.

A 5 Series, when is the last time you drove a 5 Series? Remember that when the 4GS came out, it beat the F10 5 Series in handling comparisons. Modern 5 Series are much softer than older 5 Series. The GS doesn't have more body roll than a comparable 5 Series. You mentioned a BNW 3 Series, of course it handles sharper, that car compares to an IS and as I said before, of course it handles better, it's much smaller, lighter, more firmly sprung. The GS is much more comfortable.

If you want something that drives like a 3 Series or IS, get one of those. A bigger car like the GS (or a 5 Series) is going to feel different.
Old 03-11-17, 05:54 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,515 Posts

The following users liked this post:
DJP333 (03-13-17)
Old 03-11-17, 09:19 PM
viperr
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
lol!...............
Old 03-13-17, 01:06 AM
GudSht350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW15LS
That 2007 Accord also rides hard as a rock, I have a good friend with that generation Accord and ride in it often. It rides like ****. Perhaps it has "less body roll", but it rides terrible, and it's a front heavy transverse FWD car and it doesn't actually handle anything like a GS. If you think dynamically that car feels better on a back country road than even a base suspension GS you're not seeing what makes one car actually handle better than another car.

A 5 Series, when is the last time you drove a 5 Series? Remember that when the 4GS came out, it beat the F10 5 Series in handling comparisons. Modern 5 Series are much softer than older 5 Series. The GS doesn't have more body roll than a comparable 5 Series. You mentioned a BNW 3 Series, of course it handles sharper, that car compares to an IS and as I said before, of course it handles better, it's much smaller, lighter, more firmly sprung. The GS is much more comfortable.

If you want something that drives like a 3 Series or IS, get one of those. A bigger car like the GS (or a 5 Series) is going to feel different.

2007 Accord rides fine to me, not as harsh as you make it seem. Just not as good as the GS.

I just test drove an Infiniti Q50S, way better suspension than my GS. And it's freaking heavy with the hybrid batteries. It's just as big as a GS350. Might be bigger/heavier.
The suspension is much better made. Maybe because it's a "sport"? Not sure.

And the Accord handles WAY better than the GS on any back road. FWD does not always mean it's worse than RWD. And I'm a RWD fanboy.
Old 03-13-17, 06:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Then go buy an Accord or a Q50 (which is a smaller car than a GS, and of course the Sport model has a better suspension than a base GS). If your GS was an F Sport it would handle better too.

Did you drive your GS before you bought it?!
Old 03-13-17, 08:26 AM
Speed3381
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Just sell your damn GS350 and buy a WRX STI. Problem solved. Thread closed lol

Originally Posted by GudSht350
2007 Accord rides fine to me, not as harsh as you make it seem. Just not as good as the GS.

I just test drove an Infiniti Q50S, way better suspension than my GS. And it's freaking heavy with the hybrid batteries. It's just as big as a GS350. Might be bigger/heavier.

And the Accord handles WAY better than the GS on any back road. FWD does not always mean it's worse than RWD. And I'm a RWD fanboy.
Old 03-13-17, 08:36 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 225 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by GudSht350

So you're willing to test drive the sport version on the Q50 to make judgement on all GS, but you're not willing to test drive the F-sport GS to make judgment about the handling. Makes a lot of sense...

You've lost all credibility by saying the FWD Accord, a large family sedan, handles better than the RWD GS. You sound like a troll...Like mentioned before, sell your GS and get a WRX or an Accord.
The following 3 users liked this post by dchar:
Im2bz2p345 (03-13-17), puffdaddy (03-14-17), SW17LS (03-13-17)
Old 03-13-17, 09:03 AM
DuRsT
Driver School Candidate

I'm almost wondering if there is something mechanically wrong with your car in particular....? I traded in my stock 2002 IS300 on my 2013 GS350 base and have zero complaints, actually a great deal of praise.

Late last year I test drove a brand new WRX STI and was not impressed. I preferred my IS300 over the WRX a great deal.

I think what everyone is trying to say here is you bought a larger, heavier car and seem to be oddly surprised when it doesn't stack up to smaller, lighter cars from a handling perspective. I have a 2013 Mustang GT thats fully track prepped for road course racing, I sure as hell don't want my GS to ride like that thing. I love the smoothness of the car and the fact I wouldn't hesitate to take on any road in the car as it is more than competent in the curves and is comfortable in doing so.
Old 03-13-17, 09:13 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Here's my take on my 14 F Sport with AVS:

In Normal driving mode, yes this thing has a lot of body roll and I can roll all of my passenger side to side when cornering. But when switched to Sport + mode, it handles flat like it's on rails and I don't feel like rolling inside.

The tires do make a big difference too, my stock Bridgestones feel like it could give out at anytime when cornering and can send me off the cliff, but my new Michelins AS3+ grips very well and I feel total control when cornering hard in the mountain road.

The benefit of owning the F Sport version is u can use it for long drives as a comfy cruiser and wake it up with just a twist of a ****.
The following 3 users liked this post by ItzFilyO:
Im2bz2p345 (03-13-17), LatinLS430 (03-13-17), TheWizard (03-13-17)
Old 03-13-17, 09:39 AM
ChronoR
Pole Position

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

I just purchased a 2013 GS450h after cross-shopping with a 2014 535d xDrive. There's really no comparison, the GS feels more nimble.

The 535d drives fatter, to the point where I deliberately didn't say anything and let my wife test drive and she said the same thing without any prompting!

I kinda wanted the AWD and fold-down rear seats but we have a WRX for the ski trips.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (03-13-17)
Old 03-13-17, 11:49 AM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

The consensus seems to be that the Sport+ mode greatly improves the body roll and stability of the GS. Do any of you know the suspension parameters for the Sport+ mode so that the base suspension can be modified to match those parameters?

Last edited by bb700092; 03-13-17 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-14-17, 12:03 AM
GudSht350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dchar
So you're willing to test drive the sport version on the Q50 to make judgement on all GS, but you're not willing to test drive the F-sport GS to make judgment about the handling. Makes a lot of sense...

You've lost all credibility by saying the FWD Accord, a large family sedan, handles better than the RWD GS. You sound like a troll...Like mentioned before, sell your GS and get a WRX or an Accord.
Since when did I "make judgement on all GS"? I'm simply making comments on my base 2014 GS350, based on what I noticed.
And when did I say I'm "not willing to test drive the F sport"?

WTF is wrong with you? Your rapid willingness to be butt-hurt has clouded all reasoning.

I would like to test drive the F sport GS, I just never got around to it. And I only test drove the infiniti because my cousin was interested in it. So calm down. In fact, nothing YOU said makes any sense.

I bought this car for my dad as a gift, so I really did not care too much about its turning ability until now, when I drive it a bit more.

If you would like to challenge my 2007 Accord on any twisty road, against your GS, I would love to take you on. I'm in CA. I would be Very confident I would smoke you. I've driven both cars hard on twisties, have you? Or are you just trying to talk big by automatically thinking RWD > FWD?

Bring it on, minus power, my accord will smoke your GS on turns.
Old 03-14-17, 12:07 AM
GudSht350
Driver School Candidate

also to get back to my original post, which none of you really addressed, can I put the F sport sway bars on my base 2014 GS?
I noticed the F sport sway bars for 13-15 models are no longer blue in color like the IS F sport sway bars of older years.

Quick Reply: body roll with 2014 GS350