Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

(RUMOR Japanese Magazine has article that says) Lexus is canceling the GS line.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-17, 10:36 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

While i don't think the GS will be cancelled. I think there will be a chance that it turns into a four door coupe or something like that.

What i do believe will happen for sure while be the ES going more broad and widespread in the price range. I believe there is a very good opportunity to start the MSRP at what it currently offers on the low end and get it to close to what the new Continental offers on the top end. With that, I could see it offering AWD for the first time and offer Adaptive Variable Suspension like the Lacrosse and Continental currently offer. The ES I could also see getting bigger.

Offering two models the GS and ES which are essentially the same size car makes no sense. The ES is a better packaged car, has more room (real and perceived) It is also cheaper to fuel, insure, maintain and build.

Lastly, historically Toyota likes to make push models that are made in the US instead of Japan. From a cost POV, the ES sells better and makes Toyota more money now that it is built in the USA.
Old 03-18-17, 10:55 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I for one believe the GS is dead. In recent years, the sales have been very low and it was not perceived as a real competitor the the E, 5, or A6 just based on these sales numbers. With the new LS only coming in the long wheelbase size, there is certainly room for a car more nearly the size of the base LS460. If one is released, it will certainly be much different in concept than the current GS. I would expect it to be large enough to really compete with the new 5 and A6. It might, however, be done as a 4 door coupe like the A7 or 6 gran coupe.

As to the ES, I don't expect much change other than offering optional AWD. It might even make marketing sense to have an F Sport model with chassis tuning similar to the Camry XSE but with AWD. It certainly doesn't need to be any larger, but a further upgrade to the UL interior might be welcome,

Just my opinions.
Steve
Old 03-18-17, 12:58 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

In the Japanese Domestic Market, the Toyota Crown is the real midsize sedan.
The Toyota Aristo/Lexus GS is the "four door coupe" sharing the same platform and power plants, albeit with slightly lower rooflines, swoopier sportier styling, and shorter overhangs.
That's why the GS is a little compact inside, and with firmer suspension too.

It is similar to E/CLS Class, 5/6 Series, and A6/A7's.
Taking the JDM & East Asian Toyota Crown into consideration, the Lexus GS is a four door coupe, yet the GS is far more spacious than the likes of the CLS, 6 Series and Audi A7, which share the same platforms and engines as the E Class, 5 Series and A6.

1991-95 Toyota Crown

1991-98 Toyota Aristo/Lexus GS

1995-99 Crown

1999-03 Crown

1998-05 Toyota Aristo/Lexus GS

2003-08 Crown

2008-12 Crown

2005-12 GS

2012-onwards Crown

2012-19 GS

Crown:

4.5GS:

Crown:

4GS:

Last edited by peteharvey; 03-19-17 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-18-17, 01:50 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Don't forget about the midsize Toyota Mark X. It also utilizes RWD/AWD and similar powertrains to the GS.

Old 03-18-17, 01:52 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Don't forget about the midsize Toyota Mark X. It also utilizes RWD/AWD and similar powertrains to the GS.

They all ride on the same platform.
Old 03-19-17, 02:51 PM
AmanO
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Am I the only one who thinks all the Lexus sedans have lost their visual identities?

Sml, med, lrg and XL, now. Maybe make the GS actually look, you know, different than the other 3?

I know that is what common Americans want, but the GS seems to be specifically for the NON common people.

****in L-Finesse and spindle grills. Who was the one who said that all Lexus vehicles should look like a blue whale raped the Cheshire cat?

Also, you know damn well that an F Sport ANYTHING from Lexus will sell. I **** you not, you could make an IS-F and STILL sell an F-Sport package. It is just like a rear diffuser on a minivan or the bolt on fog lights on a V6 Mustang. Americans eat that **** up.

Last edited by AmanO; 03-19-17 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-19-17, 03:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AmanO
Am I the only one who thinks all the Lexus sedans have lost their visual identities?

Sml, med, lrg and XL, now.
XL? Hardly. Maybe by today's standards, but I grew up with real XL luxury sedans.

Old 03-19-17, 05:59 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Don't forget to put on twin SHINY Big FART Cans on the back to look real BAD ****. While at it, put up a BIG WING TOO!!! LOL.

Originally Posted by sam430
I hope the LS fails...then we all can ride the fwd es...then the es can finally fail too. I'll just pick up a corolla and put a lexus badge on it...and with a lot of stickers to help devalue the brand...grrrr!
Old 03-19-17, 06:49 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by AmanO

Sml, med, lrg and XL, now. Maybe make the GS actually look, you know, different than the other 3?

I know that is what common Americans want, but the GS seems to be specifically for the NON common people.

****in L-Finesse and spindle grills. Who was the one who said that all Lexus vehicles should look like a blue whale raped the Cheshire cat?

Also, you know damn well that an F Sport ANYTHING from Lexus will sell. I **** you not, you could make an IS-F and STILL sell an F-Sport package. It is just like a rear diffuser on a minivan or the bolt on fog lights on a V6 Mustang. Americans eat that **** up.
I was going to say Lexus has been one of the few brands *not* to make all their sedans look the same. Greenhouses, side flanks, and rear styling are all distinct across the board. An ES looks nothing like a GS, nor does an IS vs. an LS. Even the fronts look somewhat different, which is hard to pull off considering the gaping mouth takes up most of the real estate. MBZ, BMW, and mostly Audi are the brands that have the one-model look.
Old 03-19-17, 06:52 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I was going to say Lexus has been one of the few brands *not* to make all their sedans look the same. Greenhouses, side flanks, and rear styling are all distinct across the board. An ES looks nothing like a GS, nor does an IS vs. an LS. Even the fronts look somewhat different, which is hard to pull off considering the gaping mouth takes up most of the real estate. MBZ, BMW, and mostly Audi are the brands that have the one-model look.
Exactly right. Lexus is the least guilty of producing "one sausage, different lengths" models. Really, none of them look alike. Even the spindle grill is implemented differently on each model.
Old 03-20-17, 10:21 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

According to the Lexus Enthusiast forums it is now clear that this was incorrect and the 5GS will indeed see the light of day. Lexus has apparently stated a new GS should be out for 2019.

Thank you to Carmaker1 on the Lexus Enthusiast forum for clearing this up. I believe cmk1 here on CL.
Old 03-20-17, 11:40 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Just replace the GS with this and call it a day.
Old 03-20-17, 11:44 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
According to the Lexus Enthusiast forums it is now clear that this was incorrect and the 5GS will indeed see the light of day. Lexus has apparently stated a new GS should be out for 2019.

Thank you to Carmaker1 on the Lexus Enthusiast forum for clearing this up. I believe cmk1 here on CL.
Old 03-20-17, 01:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

great news. i want to see a new gs!
Old 03-20-17, 03:34 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

for what it's worth, my saleslady told me just this past sunday as i closed the deal on my '17 IS350, GS will be discontinued. i was shocked because it was brought up during casual chitchat.

Quick Reply: (RUMOR Japanese Magazine has article that says) Lexus is canceling the GS line.