IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Thoughts on how the IS-F will hold it's value over the next few years?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-17, 02:34 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by newgsman
I don't doubt this but I also suspect your observations may have a lot to do with the driver than the car. I am sure mods do wonders for the S2K but if you look at )ct 2015 C&D lightening lap, a stock 2008 S2K is 10+ seconds slower than the ISF as well as a lot of the cars mentioned above.
Exactly. For every half second the s2k makes up on the ISF in the corners, the F will make up a full second if not more, in any straight more than 1/8th mile long. I've driven s2ks before and they are very agile and eager to turn (with decent speed), but in all honesty didn't feel any better that my 5sp 02 IS300.... Neither in the Twisties or straights. Seat time wasn't very long in the s2k so maybe my observations are off a little, idk.

But back on topic, as always stated, the F is worth what people are willing to pay. I've bought $.50 candy bars for $5 per bar before.....A rare and desirable car is the same way, just on a larger scale. I was at the Lexus dealership in Raleigh this am and they have a Matador Red '12 F for $46k w/ 33k miles on it!!! Certified cars and clean inside and out, mark let using, park sensors, etc. Also white interior. I garantee it won't last a month.....Watch. this dealership moves these used F cars usually within days of hitting the lot. Although I don't quite think it'll go for what they're asking, I'll sure they'll let themselves be talked down to $43k-$44k for it.
Old 03-23-17, 02:51 PM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Not likely. Used cars have a set margin that makes them money more than new cars do, so they can't budge on the price as much as new inventory. You'll be lucky if they can shave 500-1000 off for you on that price.

On the other hand, S2000 isn't "better" than IS-F in corners. It's lighter, so you are allowed for more margin of error if **** does hit the fan. On a good day, it understeers. On a bad day, you'll be doing spin-outs at every decreasing-radius turn on the track. So what is it? It's all on the driver. Platform-wise, IS-F, like M3/4 and Porsche, handle just as well.
Old 03-23-17, 03:35 PM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitveet
Exactly. For every half second the s2k makes up on the ISF in the corners, the F will make up a full second if not more, in any straight more than 1/8th mile long. I've driven s2ks before and they are very agile and eager to turn (with decent speed), but in all honesty didn't feel any better that my 5sp 02 IS300.... Neither in the Twisties or straights. Seat time wasn't very long in the s2k so maybe my observations are off a little, idk.

But back on topic, as always stated, the F is worth what people are willing to pay. I've bought $.50 candy bars for $5 per bar before.....A rare and desirable car is the same way, just on a larger scale. I was at the Lexus dealership in Raleigh this am and they have a Matador Red '12 F for $46k w/ 33k miles on it!!! Certified cars and clean inside and out, mark let using, park sensors, etc. Also white interior. I garantee it won't last a month.....Watch. this dealership moves these used F cars usually within days of hitting the lot. Although I don't quite think it'll go for what they're asking, I'll sure they'll let themselves be talked down to $43k-$44k for it.
Originally Posted by mk416
Not likely. Used cars have a set margin that makes them money more than new cars do, so they can't budge on the price as much as new inventory. You'll be lucky if they can shave 500-1000 off for you on that price.

On the other hand, S2000 isn't "better" than IS-F in corners. It's lighter, so you are allowed for more margin of error if **** does hit the fan. On a good day, it understeers. On a bad day, you'll be doing spin-outs at every decreasing-radius turn on the track. So what is it? It's all on the driver. Platform-wise, IS-F, like M3/4 and Porsche, handle just as well.
I don't know where some of you find those crazy deals. It's about $10k over the normal selling price. There was 2014 ISF with 16k miles for that much and 2012 with 20k miles listed for $38k (sold probably for even less). With just 15k more miles I passed on 2 2012 ISFs last year for $34-35k

Last edited by kolyan; 03-23-17 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-23-17, 04:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,081 Likes on 2,473 Posts

Originally Posted by kolyan
I don't know where some of you find those crazy deals. It's about $10k over the normal selling price. There was 2014 ISF with 16k miles for that much and 2012 with 20k miles listed for $38k (sold probably for even less). With just 15k more miles I passed on 2 2012 ISFs last year for $34-35k
Corrected for truth: I don't know where some of you find those crazy deals. It's about $10k over what I expect is the normal selling price. There was 2014 ISF with 16k miles for that much and 2012 with 20k miles listed for $38k (sold probably for even less). With just 15k more miles I passed on 2 2012 ISFs last year for $34-35k because I still haven't found one cheap enough for me. And likely when I do, I will complain about resale values too.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
2URGSE (05-22-17), Kojak77 (03-24-17)
Old 03-23-17, 05:20 PM
kolyan
Advanced

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Corrected for truth: I don't know where some of you find those crazy deals. It's about $10k over what I expect is the normal selling price. There was 2014 ISF with 16k miles for that much and 2012 with 20k miles listed for $38k (sold probably for even less). With just 15k more miles I passed on 2 2012 ISFs last year for $34-35k because I still haven't found one cheap enough for me. And likely when I do, I will complain about resale values too.
I am not looking for one, I bought another car....As I mentioned in a different thread. I just check the prices on some cars often, ISF is one of those and the prices I listed are the priced they can be bought by anyone in here. No need to pay extra $10k. The right one comes up locally, I might grab it....Not obsessed here.

Last edited by kolyan; 03-23-17 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-23-17, 06:44 PM
USB2011JAM
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Talking

You definitely should have jumped on one or ALL of those... all 3 you mentioned you "passed" on were great deals, and you would be able to make money on it right now.... Your loss. Unless theres something your not mentioning about these cars?? Like they'd been in multiple accidents, or has a sweet NOS kit ? Because I paid more than all of those you mentioned for my 2011 USB with 40k miles, 6 months ago (my 2nd ISF).

Love the guys that have been on an off this forum never buying Fs but always talking about what they should be priced at, all the while... still not owning or buying an ISF, they're all over this forum. Probably driving a "stanced" FWD Acura TL or something else retarded... Tell me something... why the last year or so are we seeing soooo many threads popping about people "looking for ISFs" or, "what a good value is", or "should i buy this or that isf?" Ive seen sooooo many posts, tells me theyre getting more and more expensive, and harder and harder to find.

Always cracks me up, the forum jockeys think they know better what to price a car at, what they should sell for, and what people should buy them for, then a dealership does, that sells and buys many many more cars in a week then you have in a lifetime... If your so well versed in the subject, you'd be wise to open a dealership, get as much capital as you can and start buying cars up to resell? If you owned a successful Lexus dealership you wouldn't even give 2 ****s about an IS-F, because you'd be on your yacht in the Caribbean like the rest of the franchise car dealership owners, and driving around one of your Ferraris you had shipped to the city your at for the weekend...

Ive been saying it since 2010 on this forum... this car will hold its value. Theres an old thread i made with my old UN talking about the exact same thing in 2009-2010, most of what i said has held true. Regardless of wether its automatic, manual, a good motor, or s2000 motor is better, it comes down to simple supply and demand. There wasn't enough ISFs built for values to decline in the same manner as any other mainstream highly produced car.

Also, as someone that works for one of the largest automotive based corporation in the world, I can tell you, now-a-days dealers don't list arbitrary prices pulled out of their asses. They have software programs, and highly technical systems that tell them exactly what to pay for a car, what to list it for, how much recon it would need, and at a said price how long it "should" take to sell based on many many highly advanced algorithms and programs that scrape, new, used, dealer, & auction listings & sales hourly.

4 facts here:
-This car will sell (for much more then you think it will)
-IS-F values will continue to hold steady, or even go up in value as they get harder to find clean examples.
-Will the ISF be worth what TT Supras are now? No, probably not... But they will definitely not get much cheaper then they are now.
-Lastly, you still won't own one...

Best thing one could do is buy any clean ISF they can afford, and get their hands on, enjoy it, and own it. Watch what happens over the next 5-10 years. Guarantee you won't lose much if any money on the car.
The following users liked this post:
2URGSE (05-22-17)
Old 03-23-17, 09:45 PM
Vitveet
Racer

USBJDM2011 and Lobux just said it all perfectly!
Hatw to single out Kolyan, but he shows up in every thread about buying or selling an ISF....And knows all about "what it should sell for" and how to get all the best deals, though he gave up his search on an F and bought a BMW and is250....And dislikes the ISF but spends hella time in the ISF ENTHUSIAST forum...
Again, if I didn't have my current F and wanted one and this was the color and year model I wanted, I'd buy that one for $46k. Not like you have many options... Especially for clean examples. Probably less than 5 red, 2012+, low mileage (under 50k) ISFs for sale currently in the country.....Ok, then one or 2 may not be as clean or not CPO cars. Ok, so this one is looking better and better to me....AND I don't have to travel....Hmmm. ok....I want red with white interior....Well guess what, this one is here for sale NOW! May be another year or 2 til another pops up exactly like this, if ever. No time for negotiation....Buy it or leave it....And someone our there is looking for this exact car, and could give 2 *****s if it's priced $3-5k "high". They have to have it.

My story is the same as above. I wanted a '12+ ISF SFP w/ red interior, unmolested, with less than 30k on the clock, and on the Eastern half of the USA. Took 1.5 years to find, but I had to act quickly... Because with these cars, you're never the only one checking it out. But luckily I got the price down around $42k (close to $44k otd) for it w/ 23k miles on her, bone stock, perfect condition. Within a few days of getting more info and pics, the check was written and I'd worry about finding a way to grab it (12 hrs away) later. Didn't need a test drive, to see it in person, etc. I knew what I wanted so I made it mine. PLENTY of other people out here just like me.....That's why the values of the ISF aren't going anywhere anytime soon (for clean examples).

V.
Old 03-24-17, 07:16 AM
kolyan
Advanced

^ You guys are a joke. Yes I bought near brand new top of the line 6-speed M235i w/LSD and top of the line mint IS350 for my wife. Its so obvious (at least to me) that you try so hard to list the worst deals possible in order to protect your purchase....

In the last thread I posted like 10 deals on cars.com with ISFs all at least $5-10k less and after that you went silent.....I am not gonna play this game anymore

All ISFs I looked at and checked (including some sold by members in here) were 1-2 owner with 0 accidents....thats how I buy all my cars. Yes, some were not perfect (with 50k miles there is wear), but 6+ month for sale at Lexus dealer with zero interest and price going from 42k to 35k and they finally got rid of it for 33k (2012 w/50k miles)........thats what happens to most ISFs here (maybe New England market, I dont know). A local member in here last year bought mint 2012 with 35k miles for $37k (1 owner with no accidents), one was just sold in NYC area for $37-38k with 20k miles. Right now there are guys/dealers with 2010/11 ISFs w/60-70k miles that cant even get $30k for it. Its all facts, no stories. A lot of those ISFs that never get sold either get traded-in or go to auctions....thats what happened to that recent 2014 from classifieds that was listed for $47k. A member simply got tired of selling it since September and traded it in.

And of course in a different market, some highly obsessed buyer can pay that $40k+ for 2012 ISF w/30-50k miles.....but its his loss (or gain if values go up). All I am saying is that there is no need to pay that much today and list those horrible deals

And V, you keep BSing about how I hate ISFs which is not true at all....and thats why I am in ISF Enthusiast forum.

PS. Also about holding its value or going up in 5-10 years. I personally daily drive my cars and keep them for maybe maximum of 5 years after that even a car like M3 or S2k gets boring for me. I have no place to store them and I am not buying a cars as an investment......I buy a car, daily drive it, if I have extra money and it gets boring I sell it and get something else.

Last edited by kolyan; 03-24-17 at 07:34 AM.
Old 03-24-17, 07:39 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

^^^Dude, just stop it... Turn your extensive energy on the topic to something more useful
Old 03-24-17, 07:44 AM
kolyan
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jz39
^^^Dude, just stop it... Turn your extensive energy on the topic to something more useful
You got that one right

Last edited by kolyan; 03-24-17 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-24-17, 07:55 AM
Vitveet
Racer

^ You guys are a joke. Yes I bought near brand new top of the line 6-speed M235i w/LSD and top of the line mint IS350 for my wife. Its so obvious (at least to me) that you try so hard to list the worst deals possible in order to protect your purchase....

In the last thread I posted like 10 deals on cars.com with ISFs all at least $5-10k less and after that you went silent.....I am not gonna play this game anymore

All ISFs I looked at and checked (including some sold by members in here) were 1-2 owner with 0 accidents....thats how I buy all my cars. Yes, some were not perfect (with 50k miles there is wear), but 6+ month for sale at Lexus dealer with zero interest and price going from 42k to 35k and they finally got rid of it for 33k (2012 w/50k miles)........thats what happens to most ISFs here (maybe New England market, I dont know). A local member in here last year bought mint 2012 with 35k miles for $37k (1 owner with no accidents), one was just sold in NYC area for $37-38k with 20k miles. Right now there are guys/dealers with 2010/11 ISFs w/60-70k miles that cant even get $30k for it. Its all facts, no stories. A lot of those ISFs that never get sold either get traded-in or go to auctions....thats what happened to that recent 2014 from classifieds that was listed for $47k. A member simply got tired of selling it since September and traded it in.

And of course in a different market, some highly obsessed buyer can pay that $40k+ for 2012 ISF w/30-50k miles.....but its his loss (or gain if values go up). All I am saying is that there is no need to pay that much today and list those horrible deals

And V, you keep BSing about how I hate ISFs which is not true at all....and thats why I am in ISF Enthusiast forum.

PS. Also about holding its value or going up in 5-10 years. I personally daily drive my cars and keep them for maybe maximum of 5 years after that even a car like M3 or S2k gets boring for me. I have no place to store them and I am not buying a cars as an investment......I buy a car, daily drive it, if I have extra money and it gets boring I sell it and get something else.

Lead by example...You keep finding all these great deals on F's but haven't gotten one....And instead bought a BMW new (one of the worst investments ever).
But this is beating a dead horse with you (a non owner) so I'll stop there for now. A much smarter move would be to pick up one of these awesome deals you've come across with newer, low mileage F's and get rid of that new, expensive beamer. Just about a common sense move.

V.
Old 03-24-17, 08:08 AM
cleethree
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I was shopping for an F for a while and I would search CarMax frequently. From what I understand, they don't budge on pricing at all. I've seen 3 of 2011s <25k miles sell in a week or less for $43k. I have a hard time believing that 11s with 60k can't sell for over $30k.
Old 03-24-17, 08:18 AM
kolyan
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vitveet
Lead by example...You keep finding all these great deals on F's but haven't gotten one....And instead bought a BMW new (one of the worst investments ever).
But this is beating a dead horse with you (a non owner) so I'll stop there for now. A much smarter move would be to pick up one of these awesome deals you've come across with newer, low mileage F's and get rid of that new, expensive beamer. Just about a common sense move.

V.
It's off the topic, but I'll explain....

It's not that simple either. All the German cars I've owned came with warranty (which means zero repair out of pocket) and many came with free maintenance as well. M3 I sold for $2k more then I paid within 24 hours, 335i I sold only for $1k less within 1-2 weeks. One of the last ISFs I looked at, was for sale 6 month in my state and 3 more month in a different state until it ended up getting sold to a member in here (for a fraction of initial asking price) So which purchase is smarter is kind of debatable here.....
Old 03-24-17, 08:35 AM
kolyan
Advanced

Originally Posted by cleethree
I was shopping for an F for a while and I would search CarMax frequently. From what I understand, they don't budge on pricing at all. I've seen 3 of 2011s <25k miles sell in a week or less for $43k. I have a hard time believing that 11s with 60k can't sell for over $30k.
There is 11 w/75k miles in classifieds at 29.9 since January, one 11 on Craigslist w/70k at 30k (white on white rare), 12 w/50k miles (white on red) listed at 37k also in classifieds, and 2 2010 ISFs with 60k miles also listed around that $30k mark. All those 60k+ ISFs had expensive ($1200) service done, so you kind of saving that as well.

​​​​
Old 03-24-17, 09:18 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Point is, you're bringing going up the lowest costed F's you can find, and it's only a few examples (even if it's 10-20, that's still only a 'few' compared to the 5100 F's out here). Many many more that sell fast, sell for higher prices, etc. Just because a few sit don't mean they all do....Common sense. And the other way around as well, just because one sells fast doesn't mean they all do. He'll, I've seen Supras be on the market for sale for 6+ months as well....Does that mean it's not worth their asking price?!?! Lmao. Come on bro....

V.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on how the IS-F will hold it's value over the next few years?