GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-17, 02:34 PM
kroorda
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I change my GX oil myself also. Once you do it, and learn what to take loose, and what not to take loose, it's actually very easy. I get my Mobil1 0/20 synthetic from Amazon for $25.?? for 5 quarts! (No charge for shipping!) It's very much worth it for me to do it myself. Likewise, I know it's done correctly. Last, a dealer does not have to do your oil changes in order to keep your warranty alive. You can record the oil changes (and other maintenance you do) in your owners' manual.
For people who don't want to get their hands dirty, but want to save money, have your oil changes done at a Toyota dealer. The filter and oil that is used are exactly the same as is used in a Toyota Tundra, and you'll save a significant amount over that which you would pay a Lexus dealer. And, most Toyota dealers will have you in and out (for an oil change) as quickly, or quicker than a Lexus dealer would.
Old 03-29-17, 09:55 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

I'm also someone that likes to change their own oil, but I will probably have the dealer do it until the warranty runs out just as an insurance policy.

I find it takes less time for me to do it myself than take it all the way to the dealership and wait. Also, you'd be amazed how often shops botch an oil change and you have to bring it back because they didn't tighten something down properly or other mistakes.
Old 03-30-17, 11:02 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by kroorda
I change my GX oil myself also. Once you do it, and learn what to take loose, and what not to take loose, it's actually very easy. I get my Mobil1 0/20 synthetic from Amazon for $25.?? for 5 quarts! (No charge for shipping!) It's very much worth it for me to do it myself. Likewise, I know it's done correctly. Last, a dealer does not have to do your oil changes in order to keep your warranty alive. You can record the oil changes (and other maintenance you do) in your owners' manual.
For people who don't want to get their hands dirty, but want to save money, have your oil changes done at a Toyota dealer. The filter and oil that is used are exactly the same as is used in a Toyota Tundra, and you'll save a significant amount over that which you would pay a Lexus dealer. And, most Toyota dealers will have you in and out (for an oil change) as quickly, or quicker than a Lexus dealer would.
Mobil runs a rebate a couple of times per year - $12 off purchase of 5 quarts. It's active now. https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil-promotions Amazon is ineligible, but there are other places where you can get the 5qt jugs for about $25. So you can get 10qt for about ~$28 or so after rebate. I've collected this rebate a few times now between buying oil for the Lexus, my wife's Acura and my last BMW.

I was tempted to just go to the dealer for this since there are a few extra steps (skid plate removal), but I called and was quoted over $100 for an oil change, even more for synthetic. I can DIY for less than half of that, with Mobil synthetic which is the best IMO. I know if I factor my time I'm not saving anything but I enjoy doing it. Only hassle is getting rid of the old oil, it ends up sitting in my garage for months before I bring it for recycling.
Old 03-30-17, 06:24 PM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
it ends up sitting in my garage for months before I bring it for recycling.
In our area all Walmarts takes used oil so I just put it into the trunk and drop it off the next time we do some shopping.
Old 03-31-17, 10:14 PM
GX460PREM
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What type of Mobil 1 0W-20 motor oils {Mobil 1™ Advanced Fuel Economy, Mobil 1™ Extended Performance, Mobil 1™ Super Synthetic, Mobil 1 Super} are you using in your GX460 and where can you purchased 5 qts of Mobil 1 for $25? I don't see the deal on Amazon.

Based on the participating locations {Napa, Target} nearest me to qualify for the Mobil 1 rebate, their prices for Mobil 1 0W-20 motor oil are high.

I am using Mobil 1™ Extended Performance 0W-20 15,000 miles of guaranteed protection and Wal-mart sell it at an unbeatable price of $28.68 for a 5qt jug. I changed my oil every 13K - 15K miles based on driving conditions and free time.
Old 03-31-17, 11:12 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 424 Posts

Last time I bought a bunch of 5 quart jugs at Walmart with the $12 rebate.
Old 04-01-17, 06:33 AM
GX460PREM
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mobil 1 does not list Wal-mart as a participating store.

Is the $12 rebate associated with Wal-mart or Mobil 1?
Old 04-01-17, 08:52 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Originally Posted by GX460PREM
Mobil 1 does not list Wal-mart as a participating store.

Is the $12 rebate associated with Wal-mart or Mobil 1?
It was Mobil1 rebates, limit 2 per address. Mobil seems to run this kind of rebate twice a year. I've done the last two times with Walmart with very fast results.
Old 04-01-17, 09:24 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
It was Mobil1 rebates, limit 2 per address. Mobil seems to run this kind of rebate twice a year. I've done the last two times with Walmart with very fast results.

I've also done it with WalMart as well.

I was concerned it wouldn't work because on Mobil 1's website there seems to be conflicting info, but they sent the check last time I did it. I made sure to stock up.
Old 04-01-17, 12:46 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

I have NOT DIY oil change on the GX yet, only 20000 miles so far but last time I was busy and lazy so I brought it to the dealer for an oil change and was charged $133.00. This is just oil change, no tires rotation. I'll do it myself from now on. Oil and filter probably cost $50 MAX.
Old 04-01-17, 06:41 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
I have NOT DIY oil change on the GX yet, only 20000 miles so far but last time I was busy and lazy so I brought it to the dealer for an oil change and was charged $133.00. This is just oil change, no tires rotation. I'll do it myself from now on. Oil and filter probably cost $50 MAX.
Last week I took the truck to Toyota dealer for an oil change and it was $69 + tax and a 10% discount. However the wait was 2hrs plus. . I'll DIY next time too.
Old 04-02-17, 11:33 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Anyone replace the stock plastic cover with one of these metal ones? Looks like one of the oil changes the previous owner had done on mine mechanic must have really tightened it down tight as some of the plastic fins on cap are chipped off.

I'll probably add a Fumoto drain valve as well. The ones with nipple are nice since you can drain right into the transport container.

Also found one missing bolt and one broken one on the skid plate so ordered two of them off of eBay. Looks to be a standard OEM Toyota part.

I thought I was going to have to tap the broken one out but fortunately was able to just screw it all the way through to the other side.

EDIT: I'll use a crowfoot wrench to apply the 30 ft-lb torque on the Fumoto

Last edited by Acrad; 08-09-17 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-03-17, 05:31 AM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...il-change.html

and

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...cap-durabilty/

I will replace according to the writeup when my next oil change becomes due.
Old 04-03-17, 11:44 AM
clickart
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NewB2Lexus
Here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...il-change.html

and

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...cap-durabilty/

I will replace according to the writeup when my next oil change becomes due.
wonder if the aluminum oil filter cap fits the GX exactly
Old 04-03-17, 12:29 PM
pinoyesv6
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by clickart
wonder if the aluminum oil filter cap fits the GX exactly
the aluminum oil filter cartridge will fit exactly, you would just have to swap out the perforated filter support tube from your original filter cartridge.

Quick Reply: Oil and Filter Changes & Oil Filter Metal Retrofit Discussion