LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

What non-Lexus vehicle did you cross-shop when you bought your LS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-17, 02:10 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I like your taste in cars sir. That is a slick looking Z06. Love the wheels. How popular are convertibles North of the 49th? I know it gets plenty warm in Spring/Summer for one in Toronto.
Old 01-25-17, 06:56 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Junglequac
I like your taste in cars sir. That is a slick looking Z06. Love the wheels. How popular are convertibles North of the 49th? I know it gets plenty warm in Spring/Summer for one in Toronto.
Thanks man

And I'm more of a hardtop guy myself , stiffer chassis and usually hold their value a little better , but id like to own a vert at least once to see if I like it or not.

Summer here is a scorcher indeed
Old 01-25-17, 07:23 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 507 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Junglequac
Very popular here on the mild West Coast of Canada. I've owned a few....A TR6 and still have an 88 Cobra 5.0. I've kind of out grown them though. I'll be selling my Cobra this Spring, which I've owned for 26 years.
Old 01-26-17, 10:48 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Very popular here on the mild West Coast of Canada. I've owned a few....A TR6 and still have an 88 Cobra 5.0. I've kind of out grown them though. I'll be selling my Cobra this Spring, which I've owned for 26 years.
That is awesome and I love Triumphs. Vancouver is awesome, but good gosh has it gotten crazy expensive to live there. My youngest brother and his wife are both attorneys and are seriously considering moving from Marin County to Vancouver and while Marin County is likewise stupid expensive, Vancouver takes the cake. Or TimBit if you will...
Old 01-26-17, 11:14 AM
sapstar66
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hyundai Genesis and Infiniti Q70L

The Infiniti is a completely unknown gem in the rough.

The LS is a low seller her in Canada (200 units a year or less), but the Q70 is even worse (150-). Maybe next time. Or next year !
Old 01-26-17, 11:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

The Q70L is nowhere near as refined as the LS460 though, I've driven it also.
Old 01-26-17, 11:35 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

I actively searched for a 2004 or later Mercedes CL55 AMG. Drove a beat 2003, and even though it was neglected, it was still a super-solid Mercedes. Was actually on the way to see one in Dallas when my wife insisted we stop at a place I've known about/visited since the early-90s, Texas Cars Direct. They gave me the keys and said, "take your time and enjoy it".

We were gone about 20 minutes, and by minute ten, while at a stop lamp, I asked my wife, "where's the nearest Wells Fargo?"

She said, "really?! No, really, are you serious?"

I replied, "yep, this is it", and she whipped out a phone and found the nearest branch.

Also looked for a 2006 or later Jaaaaaaag XJ Super V8. Nope. I really want a Portfolio, too.

Believe it or not, for a period, a particular 1978 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham was in the running. White with a white leather interior (with I'm pretty certain every single option, as it has a sunroof, and there were under 1K of those made), only 55K miles on it. 8 MPG being the likely "fuel efficiency" returned, removed it from the running. Still, I'd rock that beast, daily. 440 c.i.d. engine, giant 'Murrican "coupe", hidey headlamps, fender skirts, and all the fuselage styling. Oh, and OEM CB radio (!), fender sentinels, hood ornament, and the thing is just so...me.

1995-1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Bro, i.e. the D-body. Drove one, it was too over-the-top floaty.

While I really want the New Yorker, it's not going to be a good DD machine. The only one I consider the equal of an LS460 is the Jaaaaaaaag. Those cars are amazing, yet reliable as all get out.

edit: Also had a 1st gen Volt in the mix as well. Forgot about that one.

Last edited by mckellyb; 01-31-17 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-26-17, 11:45 AM
sapstar66
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The Q70L is nowhere near as refined as the LS460 though, I've driven it also.

Since Renault took over NIssan, I've always think - and felt - the cheapness of the materials used in Nissan products. They are getting better though. And the 2015 I've driven before buying my 2012 L last may was maybe not up-to-par with the LS, but nice nonetheless...
Old 04-05-17, 06:49 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Reliving up an old thread, did anyone/has anyone looked at a Jaguar XJ Supercharged? V8 470hp, 424lb torque?

The interior is very commendable, it has a gutsier punch than most other luxobarges (except maybe the S63 and the S8) - I know the reliability is nowhere close just curious if anyone took a close look at the XJ?
Old 04-05-17, 08:24 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 507 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
Reliving up an old thread, did anyone/has anyone looked at a Jaguar XJ Supercharged? V8 470hp, 424lb torque?

The interior is very commendable, it has a gutsier punch than most other luxobarges (except maybe the S63 and the S8) - I know the reliability is nowhere close just curious if anyone took a close look at the XJ?
I certainly was enamored with the Jags. But it was short-lived knowing that they just aren't reliable. I was coming out of a BMW 7 series and didn't want the same drama in the Jag. They are damn sexy though. The Jag would have been even more problematic than the BMW.
Old 04-05-17, 09:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I did, in the end it was between the Jag and the LS, although the V6 Supercharged was the Jag that I was looking at (I was shopping new).

In the end the reasons I went with the LS instead of the Jag because Jag's infotainment is terrible (pre 2017), and the car was a little too flashy and ostentatious, I was concerned about it being too showy when around clients. The LS flies more under the radar.

Jag is a nice car though.
Old 04-05-17, 11:55 AM
Ecohman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did not cross shop this car, but saw an XJ in traffic yesterday. I have always admired that body shape. Must be in production for about 50 years now. I suspect only the basic shape remains from the XJ6&12, but still, it has aged well. 35 years ago I got a ride in a XJ12 with twin turbos. Fast, but similar performance to a friend's, father's 72 Caprice 454.
Old 04-05-17, 12:04 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

To me, there's something more classical (and maybe classy) about the previous generation of Jaguar XJ's. I didn't care for details like the shifter and the infotainment system, though. The wood inlays and leather appointments were amazing, and in the higher-end trims, the "picnic tables" (which might be still in some of the XJ's) and the lambs wool floor mats impressed me.

The newer XJ IMO traded some of the opulence for a more sporty-looking approach. I've read that rear passenger headroom is reduced because of the more sloped roofline I think the LS460 successfully kept the luxury feel, while becoming more streamlined in appearance, and rear passenger comfort and access weren't compromised.

Last edited by Gbp; 04-05-17 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-05-17, 12:45 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I found a 2012 XJL supercharged (not the super sport 510hp variant) CPO with 48k miles for $34k...comparing this to a 13 LSF for about $40k. unfortunately the Jaguar 7yr/100k CPO warranty expires Dec 2018 (so I'd only be getting ~19 months warranty) and genuinely concerned with reliability past that point. Thinking the LS is still the better way to go but the opulence of the interior, 22-way (I think) driver's seats and the table trays in the back (my 9 and 11yo sits back there they will love the vanity of it, put their iPads there maybe) were just key unique selling points.

Wife hasn't approved me upgrading my 2010 LS yet, merely itchy to trade

I'm going to check out the 17 Continental maybe...but XJ oh what a fun ride you would have been...
Old 04-05-17, 01:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ecohman
I did not cross shop this car, but saw an XJ in traffic yesterday. I have always admired that body shape. Must be in production for about 50 years now. I suspect only the basic shape remains from the XJ6&12, but still, it has aged well. 35 years ago I got a ride in a XJ12 with twin turbos. Fast, but similar performance to a friend's, father's 72 Caprice 454.
The XJ he was talking about is the current bodystyle, not the old bodystyle.

This one:

Quick Reply: What non-Lexus vehicle did you cross-shop when you bought your LS?