Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is the RX the Aztek of this century?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-17, 09:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,350 Likes on 1,540 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
i think the nx is a much more handsomely-styled vehicle than the rx -- the nx's design isn't as polarizing as the latter. the rx is garishly hideous.
i agree the nx is better looking than the rx but each time i see an nx i think it's not very luxurious... seems more mazda cx5 than porsche macan (that latter obviously costs a load more too)...
Old 04-06-17, 09:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i agree the nx is better looking than the rx but each time i see an nx i think it's not very luxurious...
Drive one, and you'll probably be even more convinced. Refinement on the road is something that the NX notably lacks, especially by Lexus standards.
Old 04-07-17, 02:55 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I was wondering how can this be with the high numbers of sales for the current gen RX? Must be a troll.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Gotta say, this is one of the best trolling threads of the century.

As for the question, no the RX is not this century's Aztek.
Old 04-07-17, 03:08 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Recently while overseas in Asia we borrowed a relative's one year old Infinity QX60 suv for an extended 6 hours combined city/highway trip for a few days. We both drove it with three teenagers and luggages. The QX60 IS FULLY LOADED WITH ALL OPTIONS. But we felt it was NOT up to par even compared to our 2013 RX450h which is also fully loaded. The reason our relative went for the QX60 was the third row seats which is not available in the RX. They did not want another MB SUV either due to MB's lackluster reliability.

Don't get me wrong, we were very appreciative of them letting us use the QX60. IT IS ALL "RELATIVE", I GUESS.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Drive one, and you'll probably be even more convinced. Refinement on the road is something that the NX notably lacks, especially by Lexus standards.
Old 04-07-17, 06:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I was wondering how can this be with the high numbers of sales for the current gen RX? Must be a troll.
I don't see it as a troll. What the OP is saying is that, sales or not, in his opinion the RX is butt-ugly. That's a legitimate opinion, even if you or I don't happen to agree with it, and there's no reason we can't discuss its looks on an open car-forum (we discuss almost everything else automotive here). I happen to (partially) agree with him on the huge spindle grille. But I think he got a little carried away by calling it an Aztek....I wouldn't go that far. And, IMO, under that skin and controversial styling, the RX, is a pretty impressive vehicle, with a well-crafted interior, an excellent reliability record, and nice, refined road manners worthy of a Lexus product.
Old 04-07-17, 06:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Recently while overseas in Asia we borrowed a relative's one year old Infinity QX60 suv for an extended 6 hours combined city/highway trip for a few days. We both drove it with three teenagers and luggages. The QX60 IS FULLY LOADED WITH ALL OPTIONS. But we felt it was NOT up to par even compared to our 2013 RX450h which is also fully loaded. The reason our relative went for the QX60 was the third row seats which is not available in the RX. They did not want another MB SUV either due to MB's lackluster reliability.

Don't get me wrong, we were very appreciative of them letting us use the QX60. IT IS ALL "RELATIVE", I GUESS.
I think you may have mis-read my post. I was referring to the Lexus NX, not the Infiniti QX60. Or did you intend to reply to someone else's post? It looks like you were trying to reply to mine.
Old 04-07-17, 07:33 AM
FCReulB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eclipse Cross would win the Aztec of this century award, RX not so much

Old 04-07-17, 12:32 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

^^^ yikes!!
Old 04-07-17, 07:44 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The tiny wheels, coupled with the blending black tires and dark wheel well space is what makes the RX pic look bad. Most models sold look much better. As far as front overhang, that only shows up in side profile photos. In real life, the cut-off for the front side metal is much shorter and more distinct, and does not blend in with the nose's tip, as it does in a photo. Where the SUV becomes ungainly is the overstyled hearse C-pillar.

I'd say the newest Honda Civic hatchback is probably today's Aztek, properly replacing the equally ill Honda Crossturd of a few years ago...
I'll agree with you there. It looks like a mess. How can the company that made the Accord look so upmarket make the Civic Hatchback look like that? Demographics, I guess.
Old 04-07-17, 09:35 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

I don't feel the OP is trolling. The RX has genuinely gathered controversial comments from reviewers since it was released. Certain trim options make it look worse than others. The racy F-sport wheels and trim transform the vehicle, and make the crazy C-pillar and animalistic grille agreeable. Conservative base model though clashes with the eccentric body.
Old 04-08-17, 06:07 AM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Yes, but the Rogue is also 3x cheaper, as was the Aztek, so your statement doesn't have any merit.
makes sense to me. look at the MB C Class, while priced slightly higher, outsells the Audi A4 by 2.5x. therefore if buyers of the A4 had spent just a little more, they could have owned a vehicle that is 2.5x better than the one they settled on.
Old 04-08-17, 09:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

sales volume has little to do with whether one vehicle is 'better' than another, but for similar vehicles, obviously the one with higher sales is more popular and is attracted to more people for whatever reasons, and it's not always looks.
Old 04-08-17, 12:06 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

My bad, Sorry.

I think you may have mis-read my post. I was referring to the Lexus NX, not the Infiniti QX60. Or did you intend to reply to someone else's post? It looks like you were trying to reply to mine.
Old 04-08-17, 01:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FCReulB
Eclipse Cross would win the Aztec of this century award, RX not so much
that was a funky shot angle to say the least... this eclipse cross looks more like a crv from a normal angle...
Old 04-08-17, 04:32 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ ohh my, Mits still around? But at least it looks way better than the SUV they have right now.

Quick Reply: Is the RX the Aztek of this century?