Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Lincoln Continental

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-17, 02:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
This car is a hit. I live in a pretty conservative area where most people with cash to spend drop big bucks into SUVs, not sedans, and I keep seeing more and more of these. They look amazing. They're not the cheapo-trim models either.

Haven't seen one CT6.
I agree, I am seeing more and more of them. They look fantastic! A great job for Ford. I also really like the advertising they are doing with this Continental.

My favorite ad so far.
Old 04-09-17, 02:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
This car is a hit. I live in a pretty conservative area where most people with cash to spend drop big bucks into SUVs, not sedans, and I keep seeing more and more of these. They look amazing. They're not the cheapo-trim models either.

Haven't seen one CT6.
i still haven't seen one continental here in florida, and i drive quite a bit.
Old 04-09-17, 03:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Lot of retired folks in Florida. Perhaps Lincoln is hitting their target buyer with a younger urban type of buyer.
Old 04-09-17, 04:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

I highly doubt that lol
Old 04-09-17, 04:50 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Lot of retired folks in Florida. Perhaps Lincoln is hitting their target buyer with a younger urban type of buyer.

lol wellllll, the one I saw today was parked in the handicapped spot at the grocery store haha.

I'm still kinda impressed though with how many Contis I've seen; here people spend their 50-70k+ on big SUVs, like overwhelmingly so. It seems like nothing but Tahoe/Yukon/Denalis, QX80s, Escalades, TONS of GX460s, etc. SUVs are definitely the prevalent choice, not sedans, here.
Old 04-09-17, 05:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I'd wager there's (probably) more of them down around Miami Beach than in your part of the state.
Old 04-09-17, 05:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I'm with Jill on this one. Although I'm probably older than the type of buyer she is referring to, I'd probably be looking at a Continental myself, instead of the narrower MKZ, if the parking spaces in my condo development were a little wider. The CT6 has not impressed me, for several reasons.
Old 04-09-17, 05:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

965 Continentals sold in March, which isn't great. Remember...that includes fleet sales, I bet fleet sales are as much as 85% of those sales. G80 for instance sold nearly 1,400 units, and no fleet absorption there. Cant say its dealers, G80 is sold out of Hyundai dealers same as Continental is sold at Ford. Ford has more dealers than Hyundai.

Hell...the Infiniti Q70 outsold the Continental in March, and the Continental only outsold the GS which has been putting up pathetic numbers by about 180 units.

CT6 sold 968, and also remember...no fleet presence as the fleet buyers at Cadillac buy the XTS.

Continental sales have declined every month since a December high, and March was their worst month except for the first month they went on sale, and that was a supply thing.

This car will be doing 500 monthly units by the end of the year and all of those basically will be fleet sales is my prediction.

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-09-17 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-09-17, 10:18 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Have not yet seen one in Los Angeles. Plenty of young drivers and buyers around here.
One problem I see with this thing is it's supposed to be a big, stately, luxury sedan- but it has a tiny, sloped, compact car trunk! Doesn't have the look of money, nor heritage back there.
Old 04-10-17, 08:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

yeah right...

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Have not yet seen one in Los Angeles. Plenty of young drivers and buyers around here.
LOL

Originally Posted by SW15LS
965 Continentals sold in March, which isn't great. Remember...that includes fleet sales, I bet fleet sales are as much as 85% of those sales.
sounds about right, which would be 145 retail sales across this vast nation. we're more likely to see sasquatch. i predicted this car would fail and unfortunately it look i was right. too much competition that is way better.
Old 04-10-17, 08:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

sounds about right, which would be 145 retail sales across this vast nation. we're more likely to see sasquatch. i predicted this car would fail and unfortunately it look i was right. too much competition that is way better.
Yep, I do believe its going to turn out like we thought it would.
Old 04-10-17, 08:49 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

yeah right...

LOL

Even if FL accounted for 5%-10% of all the Continentals sold at retail whatever the number is after fleet sales, it's a very small number of cars in a state of 20 million or so. Probably not a good trend at this point. No wonder you haven't seen any.
Old 04-10-17, 11:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yep, I do believe its going to turn out like we thought it would.
Part of this gets back to what I said earlier, in previous posts and threads. Lincoln, IMO, simply doesn't have enough dealer-outlets. Like Genesis, which sells out of Hyundai shops, Lincoln operates out of Ford shops. However, with Genesis, one can see, examine, and test-drive a G80 at almost any Hyundai shop....the G90 is handled only through certain larger, nicer Hyundai shops (like the one in Chantilly). But, to see and drive any Lincoln (much less a Continental) requires a drive (sometimes a fairly long drive) to the closest Ford dealership that handles Lincolns at all. If Lincolns were sold at all Ford shops (like Genesis at least does with the G80 at most Hyundai stores), the Continental would probably be getting more exposure and potential sales. Added to that (and, IMO, this has not yet been answered with any credibility) why the auto-press and reviewers did not do any actual Continental road-tests for months after you would normally have expected it. All we could get on the Internet, magazines, and YouTube were walk-arounds and static-reviews. Heck, Steve and I, ourselves, actually test-drove and wrote up the Continental before we started to see any credible published road-tests....and Jill got to see a pre-production model at her local dealership before either of us. IMO, these are two significant reasons why it is not selling better.
Old 04-10-17, 12:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Like I said, Genesis can sell 1400 units out of Hyundai dealers, the issue is not dealers...the car just lacks retail appeal!
Old 04-10-17, 01:05 PM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Like I said, Genesis can sell 1400 units out of Hyundai dealers, the issue is not dealers...the car just lacks retail appeal!
Unfortunately, It think this is the truth. The roll out was pitiful, damn thing was in the dealerships before any media promotion. Sorry, Lincoln, you are not Bentley or RR, its not built it and they will come. It is a decent to good product that will die on the vine because of who makes it and how poorly it was promoted. Strong work Lincoln!

Quick Reply: 2017 Lincoln Continental