NEED HELP....Battery changed, car starts but no power

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-17, 11:56 AM
ZuerstBMW
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP....Battery changed, car starts but no power

Hello,

I changed the battery on my LS430 and the car starts fine now. Checked all the fuses and the radio one was needing replacing so I did that but the car has no dash display or radio ect power. Also will not let me shift into gear.
Does this need to be reprogrammed by Lexus in order to work?
Its Sunday so everyone is closed. If you have any idea what it could be, please let me know.
Any help is appreciated, Thank you.
Old 04-09-17, 01:49 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 365 Likes on 246 Posts

I am no expert by any means but try pulling the ground cable off the new battery for 30 minutes or so, re-attach and start the car... There are a lot of computers and ECUs in our cars and that will sometimes reset some of them and fix a lot of ills....

You should also inspect and re-replace the fuse you mentioned.... or put the old one back in if it has not popped....

Last edited by Duck05; 04-09-17 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-09-17, 02:23 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 677 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by ZuerstBMW
Hello,

I changed the battery on my LS430 and the car starts fine now. Checked all the fuses and the radio one was needing replacing so I did that but the car has no dash display or radio ect power. Also will not let me shift into gear.
Does this need to be reprogrammed by Lexus in order to work?
Its Sunday so everyone is closed. If you have any idea what it could be, please let me know.
Any help is appreciated, Thank you.
A couple of clarification questions, please...
1) Is your dashboard completely non-functional, meaning none of the meters is working?
2) By "will not let me shift into gear", did you mean the shift handle is locked in the "P" position?
Old 04-09-17, 02:46 PM
ZuerstBMW
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rkw77080
A couple of clarification questions, please...
1) Is your dashboard completely non-functional, meaning none of the meters is working?
2) By "will not let me shift into gear", did you mean the shift handle is locked in the "P" position?
yes for both your questions. The windows function fine though so I'm guessing it's not the Alternator
Old 04-09-17, 02:48 PM
ZuerstBMW
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Duck05
I am no expert by any means but try pulling the ground cable off the new battery for 30 minutes or so, re-attach and start the car... There are a lot of computers and ECUs in our cars and that will sometimes reset some of them and fix a lot of ills....

You should also inspect and re-replace the fuse you mentioned.... or put the old one back in if it has not popped....

ill try this and update. Thank you.
Old 04-09-17, 03:48 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

yes for both your questions. The windows function fine though so I'm guessing it's not the Alternator
Alright, let's start with driver-side fuse box - check the 5A fuse called "STOP" and the 7.5A fuse called "GAUGE". One or both is probably blown.
The following users liked this post:
ZuerstBMW (04-09-17)
Old 04-09-17, 04:39 PM
ZuerstBMW
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rkw77080
Alright, let's start with driver-side fuse box - check the 5A fuse called "STOP" and the 7.5A fuse called "GAUGE". One or both is probably blown.
I think we found the problem. The Alt fuse was blown.
Just went to get a replacement. Hopefully it will good after thatt
Thank you for your reply.
i will update as soon as it's replaced.
Thanks again to you all.
Old 04-09-17, 04:54 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

That makes sense... Based on the symptoms you described, a blown 5A "STOP" fuse locks the shift lever in the "P" position, and a blown 7.5A "GAUGE" fuse prevents the meters from working. The 140A ALT fuse is upstream of both of them, and since it's blown, either of these fuses have power (thus act as if they were blown).

Last edited by rkw77080; 04-09-17 at 04:57 PM.
ZuerstBMW (04-09-17)
Old 04-09-17, 05:04 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

It must be getting dark in Florida by now. I've done a quick instructional writeup previously (see link below) on the forum on replacing these fusible links - it may be helpful...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ible-link.html
ZuerstBMW (04-09-17)
Old 04-09-17, 05:13 PM
ZuerstBMW
Driver School Candidate

It was the 140 Alt fuse
all perfect again
thanks for everyone's help who posted, I appreciate it.
Old 04-10-17, 05:09 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Was just curious, did this likely happen as a result of the change of the battery?

When I replaced mine, I noticed that it was a bit tricky to tighten up my negative wire to the battery post....maybe someone had bent it along the way....

I know there are differing opinions, but I felt it is a good thing to put the plastic sleeve back on as well. Can't prove it, but I didn't do that on my Maxima, and years down the road, the front left fender began to rust....my uncle said he guesses it's from battery acid/gasses....then again, the Maxima's original battery had filler caps....
Old 04-10-17, 10:30 AM
ZuerstBMW
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Was just curious, did this likely happen as a result of the change of the battery?

When I replaced mine, I noticed that it was a bit tricky to tighten up my negative wire to the battery post....maybe someone had bent it along the way....

I know there are differing opinions, but I felt it is a good thing to put the plastic sleeve back on as well. Can't prove it, but I didn't do that on my Maxima, and years down the road, the front left fender began to rust....my uncle said he guesses it's from battery acid/gasses....then again, the Maxima's original battery had filler caps....
yes, like an idiot I was trying to rush and ended up putting the battery in wrong and I guess it burnt the alt fuse
Thank Goodness it was nothing more.
Old 04-10-17, 10:48 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

yes, like an idiot I was trying to rush and ended up putting the battery in wrong and I guess it burnt the alt fuse
Thank Goodness it was nothing more.
Happens to the best of us......glad you're back in business! We all know the feeling.....

Just thought of this and maybe it's why that happened...

The LS430 battery if flipped around, as it's installed by the firewall/pass. side., so that the positive is towards the driver's side.

If you're reading the label properly and looking at the battery, on a European battery, the posts are forward, and the POS (+) is on the right. On a standard battery, the posts are in the back, and the POS (+) is on the left.

If anything, based on where the LS430 battery is located, it would use a European battery's orientation. I'm sure we likely don't think about it too much, and quickly glance at the +/- symbols. But if we just did it from habit, we could easily mix them up, as the + is likely more often on the left, not right....my .02...
ZuerstBMW (04-10-17)
Old 04-10-17, 02:19 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Happens to the best of us......glad you're back in business! We all know the feeling.....

Just thought of this and maybe it's why that happened...

The LS430 battery if flipped around, as it's installed by the firewall/pass. side., so that the positive is towards the driver's side.

If you're reading the label properly and looking at the battery, on a European battery, the posts are forward, and the POS (+) is on the right. On a standard battery, the posts are in the back, and the POS (+) is on the left.

If anything, based on where the LS430 battery is located, it would use a European battery's orientation. I'm sure we likely don't think about it too much, and quickly glance at the +/- symbols. But if we just did it from habit, we could easily mix them up, as the + is likely more often on the left, not right....my .02...
Hmmmmm...are you talking about if the battery is "European" meaning only the battery is made in Europe or being installed in a European vehicle? Hmm Hmm

Now what if it's a European name plate/manufacturer of the car, but you're not sure exactly WHERE in the world it was made? Hmmmm Hmmmm Hmmmmmm

Now what if the European car's PARTS were manufactured in Europe but assembled in someplace else? To make things more confusing, Exide is manufacturing (in USA) for Bosch. Things that make u go HHHMMMMmmmmmmm! LOL!

Wow---your post involves entirely waaaaaaaay too much thinking (for me) when replacing a car battery! Besides noting before disconnecting, I just look for which cable has some red marking on it and then connect that to the positive post. Remember, all we need to do is recall where ONE of the 2 cables goes, the other cable goes to the open terminal! LOL......orrrrrr one can also look for which cable has a short ground harness and is jumpered to chassis/ground, then connect that to negative post. Orrrrrrrrr, snap a pic with your smartphone, orrrrrr.........

(I'm just poking fun---no need to answer my facetious questions!)
Old 04-10-17, 04:15 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
Hmmmmm...are you talking about if the battery is "European" meaning only the battery is made in Europe or being installed in a European vehicle? Hmm Hmm

Now what if it's a European name plate/manufacturer of the car, but you're not sure exactly WHERE in the world it was made? Hmmmm Hmmmm Hmmmmmm

Now what if the European car's PARTS were manufactured in Europe but assembled in someplace else? To make things more confusing, Exide is manufacturing (in USA) for Bosch. Things that make u go HHHMMMMmmmmmmm! LOL!

Wow---your post involves entirely waaaaaaaay too much thinking (for me) when replacing a car battery! Besides noting before disconnecting, I just look for which cable has some red marking on it and then connect that to the positive post. Remember, all we need to do is recall where ONE of the 2 cables goes, the other cable goes to the open terminal! LOL......orrrrrr one can also look for which cable has a short ground harness and is jumpered to chassis/ground, then connect that to negative post. Orrrrrrrrr, snap a pic with your smartphone, orrrrrr.........

(I'm just poking fun---no need to answer my facetious questions!)
haha I know.....

Here's a pic of what I mean, the left is out of my BMW, the right is out of the LS430....see how both + posts are on the inside....

My Maxima also has a 24F, and the pos post is on the inside driver side...LS is inside pass. side requiring the battery to be flipped...

We do a lot of things by habit imho...that's why I like to take some pics, most of which are useless, but in the digital era, once in a while the pic shows something that seemed obvious but isn't later on...

Name:  by7_zpswn22jzbg.jpg
Views: 1191
Size:  413.9 KB
s

Quick Reply: NEED HELP....Battery changed, car starts but no power