LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Fellow owners with black interior

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-17, 07:42 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 363 Likes on 248 Posts
Default Fellow owners with black interior

I recently bought a 2010 460L - my first experience owning black interior in a car. I notice the door panels begin showing a grey or white residue where my wife and I put our hands to open the doors (it's worse on the passenger side where she sits). I am treating it with interior products but it seems to only last about 2 weeks before needing another application. I don't know if this is dirt, oils, lotion from hands, but curious if anyone else encounters this and tricks of the trade to keep it looking nice for a longer period of time. Thanks,
Old 04-11-17, 08:47 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I recently bought a 2010 460L - my first experience owning black interior in a car. I notice the door panels begin showing a grey or white residue where my wife and I put our hands to open the doors (it's worse on the passenger side where she sits). I am treating it with interior products but it seems to only last about 2 weeks before needing another application. I don't know if this is dirt, oils, lotion from hands, but curious if anyone else encounters this and tricks of the trade to keep it looking nice for a longer period of time. Thanks,
Wondering this one too. I am on my 3rd LS but, the first with a black interior... I hate to see it faded to grey by miss caring for it..
Old 04-11-17, 11:06 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 303 Likes on 264 Posts

This could be dirt sticking to the material vs fading. Early LS460s had problem with "melting" door panels but it appears to be cropping up on later models now, too. Is the door pull area sticky?
Old 04-11-17, 11:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,698 Likes on 1,935 Posts

Thats just part of owning a car with a black interior unfortunately. Its skin cells off your hands, etc. Its worse where she sits because I would venture to say she wears makeup, uses lotions and all where you don't.

Best product for this IMHO is Meguiars Quick Interior Detailer. You can buy it online or at any auto parts store:

The following users liked this post:
Gunnin4Em (04-13-17)
Old 04-11-17, 12:00 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Thats just part of owning a car with a black interior unfortunately. Its skin cells off your hands, etc. Its worse where she sits because I would venture to say she wears makeup, uses lotions and all where you don't.

Best product for this IMHO is Meguiars Quick Interior Detailer. You can buy it online or at any auto parts store:

How about the Lexol stuff ? That is what I ordered today.
Old 04-11-17, 12:30 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Thanks, I figured it was dirt, grease, oil, etc. from our hands. And yes, definitely worse on my wife's side due to her wearing makeup and constantly using lotion and hand sanitizer. I will look into the product Steve recommended, I also found something highly recommended on the AutoGeek forum from McKee's that I may check out. Appreciate the help.
Old 04-11-17, 12:37 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 506 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
How about the Lexol stuff ? That is what I ordered today.
Nothing wrong with that. The Meguiars Quick Interior Detailer is more for the "in between" periods of deep cleaning/conditioning and is great for the plastic screens over the dash gauges, Navi screen etc. I use both products, and they do completely different things. The Lexol is probably going to work better for you in your case. HOWEVER....only if it's leather. I'm not sure whether the pieces you speak of on your particular car, are actually leather. If it's NOT leather, then something like Mother's VLR (vinyl, leather, rubber), is a new product that seems to work pretty good. You're best off to deep clean the problem areas and the follow up with conditioning and then protection. Lexol or similar will do that.

FWIW, my '08 has black leather, and I have no such issues with mine...even with grimy handed kids, etc.

Last edited by roadfrog; 04-11-17 at 12:42 PM.
Gunnin4Em (04-13-17)
Old 04-11-17, 12:39 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Am I the only guy that wears make-up??
Old 04-11-17, 12:47 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 506 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
Am I the only guy that wears make-up??
Nope....you're in fine company along with Alice Cooper, Ozzy Osborne and Marylyn Manson. lol
Old 04-11-17, 01:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,698 Likes on 1,935 Posts

Yeah the Lexol is a heavier cleaner, the QID is a quick in between product.
DavidinCT (04-11-17)
Old 04-11-17, 02:24 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Yeah the Lexol is a heavier cleaner, the QID is a quick in between product.
Second the Meguiar's QID. I've been using that lately and find it is more flexible for all parts of the intinterior and also cleans leather better than Leather Masters Strong Cleaner.
Old 04-11-17, 02:46 PM
llll1lll1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wolfang Vinyl & Rubber Protectant is what I'm using. Works great and seems to keep the stickiness away.
It still gets dirty, though. I also use the Meguiars QID between applications of the Wolfgang stuff. It's not cheap, but cheaper than door panels.
Old 04-11-17, 04:14 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Nothing wrong with that. The Meguiars Quick Interior Detailer is more for the "in between" periods of deep cleaning/conditioning and is great for the plastic screens over the dash gauges, Navi screen etc. I use both products, and they do completely different things. The Lexol is probably going to work better for you in your case. HOWEVER....only if it's leather. I'm not sure whether the pieces you speak of on your particular car, are actually leather. If it's NOT leather, then something like Mother's VLR (vinyl, leather, rubber), is a new product that seems to work pretty good. You're best off to deep clean the problem areas and the follow up with conditioning and then protection. Lexol or similar will do that.

FWIW, my '08 has black leather, and I have no such issues with mine...even with grimy handed kids, etc.
Thanks, I should have specified that my door panels are not leather wrapped (I wish they were- actually never knew that was an option on this car until reading a separate topic here a few weeks ago). Our LX has the leather wrapped panels and I really prefer the look of that. Oh well, I buy used cars so can't always find my ideal setup. I'll start with a good deep clean and follow with conditioning and protection.
Old 04-11-17, 04:17 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARMSAVER-BLA...r/281642968895

Old 04-11-17, 06:50 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

​​​​​​​I love this stuff...no streaking, no residue, works on everything and it's easy. Just a nice gentle cleaner for just about anything in the interior.

Quick Reply: Fellow owners with black interior