GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Vibration/Shake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-17, 06:37 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Originally Posted by caesosa
I don't. I can probably grease those myself and check for movement on the drive shaft. On the brakes there is no vibration at all when I break so I figure I can rule that out. All in all it feels very sensitive to minor nuances.

I think there are 8
Old 05-01-17, 06:51 PM
caesosa
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

It came with Coopers when I bought it (I was trying to like them) a I have never had coopers before. I had Toyo's on my old gx470 and they were great. I have conti's for summer on my other car and michelins for winter. I suspect the tires are the issue ... I have already researched the tires I want but I was hoping to at least get the summer out of them and get some fresh rubber for winter. I may not make it.

On a side note, the 18" michelins x-ice that I have on a cayenne are smoother/quieter than the conti 21" all seasons I have for summer (it's Seattle- you need all seasons for the summer) Michelin is building a good case for the gx tires.
Old 05-01-17, 07:05 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Wish they made Conti Extreme Contact DWS in correct size but these probably wouldn't be good off-road... best rain pumping tire I have ever had.

Old 05-01-17, 07:14 PM
caesosa
Pole Position

That's actually what I have on the cayenne. They are ok in the dry and ok in the rain. I seriously would run x -ice all ready long if it came in a 21 ands wouldn't get chewed up in the summer. The conti's wear really quickly and are $300+ a pop. I'm seriously considering another set of Toyo's or Michelin ltx.

any success stories with the below:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01DJXK1GW/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1493691194&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=toyo+265+60+18&dpPl=1&dpID=51XVMZtrz-L&ref=plSrch

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Wish they made Conti Extreme Contact DWS in correct size but these probably wouldn't be good off-road... best rain pumping tire I have ever had.

Old 05-01-17, 07:24 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I run Blizzak DM-V2 on other car during the winter... not sure yet what I plan to put on GX when the Michelin M&S wear out. Snow tires and all season tires are not a good idea if you plan to go off-road at all. I do realize everyone has different needs though.
Old 05-07-17, 01:39 PM
kroorda
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have LTX tires on my GX.
Every time I have my tires rotated and balanced, I end up taking the tires back to the tire shop one or two times before they get the balance right. I've used different shops, but unfortunately get the same results every time I get my tires rotated. I guess that the best solution is to get your tires balanced at a tire shop that is near a highway. That way, you don't have to go far to test the balance, and to return to the dealer for a rebalance
Old 05-08-17, 09:02 PM
Puch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kroorda
I have LTX tires on my GX.
Every time I have my tires rotated and balanced, I end up taking the tires back to the tire shop one or two times before they get the balance right. I've used different shops, but unfortunately get the same results every time I get my tires rotated. I guess that the best solution is to get your tires balanced at a tire shop that is near a highway. That way, you don't have to go far to test the balance, and to return to the dealer for a rebalance
my experience with the new Defender LTX M/S tires was exactly the same as yours.

Bought the tires brand new in November 2016 from a reputable local Michelin retailer. They mounted and balanced the new tires and they were smooth as glass until the Lexus dealer rotated the wheels two weeks ago. Since then there was inexplicable vibration between 80-120 KMs/hr. Both the Michelin store and the dealer had repeatedly road force balanced the tires to try and resolve the issue. While it did improve somewhat, in the end (just today) the Michelin store replaced three of the tires under warranty because they just couldn't get them perfectly balanced. In my limited time driving this evening they definitely seem fixed but some highway driving over the next week will be the true litmus test.

No one at either place can figure out how a perfectly balanced set of tires suddenly became unbalanced by simply removing, rotating front to back (not diagonally), and remounting them. Very peculiar.
Old 05-15-17, 06:59 AM
kroorda
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Puch,
I just had my tires rotated and balance a few weeks ago (at Discount Tire). When I left the tire shop, I had the vibration and wobble.
I went back to Discount Tire a few days ago (to have my LTX's rebalanced). The Manager at the shop told me that the problem was with the Lexus wheels and not with the tires. They did rebalance the wheels/tires and they did get it right. However, as with ALL the other times I've had the tires/wheels balanced, it has taken the shop at least 2, 3 or 4 tries before they got it right. For sure, I've come to realize and learn one very important thing: When you go to have your tires rotated and balanced, go to a shop that is close to a highway - so that you can easily test out the balance, and return to the shop quickly if the balance isn't right!.
I don't know how much truth there is to the statement that the Lexus wheels are hard to balance. Whether it's the wheels, or the tires, I just wish they'd get it right the first time. If the wheels/tires are out of balance on our vehicles, then they are surely out of balance on the balancing machine! Perhaps the tire person simply thinks we won't notice. Who knows? But, going to a tire shop near a highway gives us the opportunity to easily test the tires, and quickly return if things aren't right.
Old 05-15-17, 08:34 PM
caesosa
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kroorda
Puch,
I just had my tires rotated and balance a few weeks ago (at Discount Tire). When I left the tire shop, I had the vibration and wobble.
I went back to Discount Tire a few days ago (to have my LTX's rebalanced). The Manager at the shop told me that the problem was with the Lexus wheels and not with the tires. They did rebalance the wheels/tires and they did get it right. However, as with ALL the other times I've had the tires/wheels balanced, it has taken the shop at least 2, 3 or 4 tries before they got it right. For sure, I've come to realize and learn one very important thing: When you go to have your tires rotated and balanced, go to a shop that is close to a highway - so that you can easily test out the balance, and return to the shop quickly if the balance isn't right!.
I don't know how much truth there is to the statement that the Lexus wheels are hard to balance. Whether it's the wheels, or the tires, I just wish they'd get it right the first time. If the wheels/tires are out of balance on our vehicles, then they are surely out of balance on the balancing machine! Perhaps the tire person simply thinks we won't notice. Who knows? But, going to a tire shop near a highway gives us the opportunity to easily test the tires, and quickly return if things aren't right.
i am a firm believer in "road force balancing" now, it took me three visits to the tire shop but they finally got some cooper tires that I was about to scrap to get them right. Les Schwab here in the NW only has one shop with that machine, however discount has them all around. Discount finally got it right at the cost of them not selling me new tires. I will in winter anyway but I couldn't believe that was the issue after three trips to the shop.
Old 06-06-17, 01:23 PM
oubobcat
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Vibe at 2200-2400 rpm 5th gear

Hello,

Haven't posted in awhile, and since my last post I bought a new 2016 GX. I have about 15000 miles on it since new and in the last month, I've noticed a vibe at 2200-2400rpm when shifting from 5th to 6th (trans shifting on its own in drive; hwy merge). If I put the SUV in 5th gear and hit about 70mph, the RPM is in 2200-2400 range and I feel the rhythmic vibration. Has anyone else experienced this? The vibe does not repeat at the same speed/rpm when in D (6) or in 4th gear at that RPM (not speed). Seems to be 5th gear, 2200-2400 rpm.

I did take it to the dealership and they claim they drove it and it is normal. They even noted on the ticket that they drove one that was sitting the lot and it did the same thing. The tires were rotated and it did not impact the vibe.

Thanks,

Jansen
Old 06-10-17, 07:22 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 862 Likes on 597 Posts

So, no replys on this. Any luck with this oubobcat?
Old 06-11-17, 07:03 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Unfortunately this could be a whole slew of things looking around online. It could be something in front differential, transmission to even driveshafts. I might want to test drive the other vehicle dealership claimed exhibited the issue.
Old 06-12-17, 04:14 AM
oubobcat
Rookie

I have an appointment with the dealership tomorrow. I'm going to ride along with the shop foreman and test drive another GX. I'll post an update after the appointment.
Old 06-14-17, 03:16 PM
orlexi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oubobcat, I have the same experience as yours. It took me a while to actually narrow down at what scenario that I'm hearing it which is exactly the same as what you oberved, 2200 to 2300 RPM at 5th gear. I have the 2015 luxury model at 27K miles but I observed it ever since. I live in Oregon so it is hard to reproduce this in our freeway which has a max speed of 55MPH.
Old 06-14-17, 06:40 PM
oubobcat
Rookie

Per the shop foreman, the vibe is coming from the transfer case and is seen on the first gen and second gen GX. Lexus knows about this and does have options to try and remove or shift the resonance out of the operating range by replacing the Tcase chain or adding damper weights to move the mode. Dave the shop foreman did not recommend any action. Both he and I drove the vehicle and he could sense it when I was driving and when he drove it.

Per our discussion, he said if i drove 5 on the lot, 2 would have zero vibes, 1 would be like mine, and 2 would be worse. Per Dave, he/his crew have attempted to fix this via a new chain and/or weights with limited success. He was firm in his opinion that the best course of action is not to throw parts at it and that this would not cause a problem with the durability of the GX.

I asked him if he would provide a service ticket acknowledging that he verifies there is a vibration at the RPM/Gear/Speed and that he does not recommend action. Without hesitation he provided the document.

He did acknowledge that when you buy a Lexus you really don't expect a vibe to be in the operating range but that is what the design allows.

Thanks,

Jansen

Quick Reply: Vibration/Shake Issues