SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC 430 shopping, top inop

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-17, 01:37 PM
Chaditotx
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default SC 430 shopping, top inop

Looking to purchase an 04 SC430. Found a nice example on a used lot. Everything wonderful with the auto except.... The top won't go down. Dealer is aware and has it priced accordingly. Two things came to mind... The under dash trunk release would not work, but key fob would release trunk. The top switch flashed red while I held the brake down, in ln park. I held it for some time. I heard no mechanical noises either which prompted me to wonder if the signal for top down was being blocked. I read on the forum that sometimes the valet switch can become activated in the glovebox and cause these issues. Are there any other things the valet switch would prevent besides the trunk release and top down?
​​​
Old 05-03-17, 01:44 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Good luck on your search, but suggest to stay away from a non-operating SC.
Old 05-03-17, 01:51 PM
Chaditotx
Rookie

Thank you, but I am not really worried about the top so much. For the price, and overall condition this vehicle is a great value. I'm handy enough to work my way through repairing it if need be. I was unaware of the valet switch today as I was looking at the vehicle. I may go back to look at it a bit more to determine the cause. It's hard troubleshooting a car on a car lot.
Old 05-03-17, 01:55 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

The top also won't go down if the privacy shade in the cargo area isn't seated like so:

Just went through this myself, decided to pass. Read all about it here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...-purchase.html

These cars are relatively bulletproof just be sure the suspension is in good working order, and maintenance like timing belt/water pump is up to date. Those things can get expensive. Doesn't hurt to have it checked out at the Lexus dealer, either, for a second opinion.
Old 05-03-17, 02:00 PM
Chaditotx
Rookie

Originally Posted by kevin3344
The top also won't go down if the privacy shade in the cargo area isn't seated like so:

Just went through this myself, decided to pass. Read all about it here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...-purchase.html

These cars are relatively bulletproof just be sure the suspension is in good working order, and maintenance like timing belt/water pump is up to date. Those things can get expensive. Doesn't hurt to have it checked out at the Lexus dealer, either, for a second opinion.
Brilliant and thank you for the link. Said vehicle has 85k miles on it. It's been taken care of. Privacy shade was checked as well. Great idea on checking with Lexus. I may call with the VIN.
Old 05-03-17, 02:09 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

With only 85k you should be in good shape. The dealer can pinpoint which area of the top is causing the issue (for example, it could be off track). Go out to LexusDrivers.com and register (anyone can do this). Put in the VIN and then click on Service History. That will not give you all of the history, but at least what is recorded from the Lexus dealer.
Old 05-03-17, 02:15 PM
mandyfig

Most recently there has been a lot of attention on SC's. This 85K 2004 SC, care to share what the selling price is?

At the end of the day, it is all about the price and availability.

It could be that nowadays, due to demand, the unit pricing for SC's might be creeping up.
Old 05-03-17, 03:00 PM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Besides Mercedes SL there is no other V8 engine hardtop convertible on the market. And if you want to put a golf bag in the trunk with the top down SC430 is it. But without the convertible top the car is just a dime in a dozen.
Old 05-03-17, 03:43 PM
Chaditotx
Rookie

Agreed. The top needs to go down . All our son needs to fit is his football pads and book bag. It would be a fun car for him.
Old 05-03-17, 03:48 PM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Chad, you need to get the free carfax/autocheck from the dealer and log in to Lexus site with a vin to check the car history. The top normally does not stop working due to age, its typically malfunctioning after an accident.
Old 05-03-17, 03:58 PM
Chaditotx
Rookie

Originally Posted by jzdulexus
Chad, you need to get the free carfax/autocheck from the dealer and log in to Lexus site with a vin to check the car history. The top normally does not stop working due to age, its typically malfunctioning after an accident.
Thank you, I have the Carfax and no sign of an accident in person either. I have a bit of experience as a service manager and a keen eye. The paintwork appears original. I was unaware that the valet switch could prevent the top from retracting and the trunk from opening. Until I got home today after examining the car and did a thorough forum search. The vehicle has been a slow seller for them, and after examining underhood the battery was just replace this month also judging from the date code on it( Most likely from sitting. ). The valet switch may be on, or it may need the battery disconnected and reconnected. I will probably head back and look some more. They are asking 10k for an 85k mile car. It has brand new Continentals on it as well
Old 05-03-17, 06:07 PM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

$10k for a clean history no accident 2004 SC w/ only 85k miles, new tires, new battery etc is a deal! All you need is to find out if top works or not since that could easily be a five grand problem. I guess the used car market is indeed tanking like they are saying in the news.
Old 05-03-17, 08:54 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaditotx
Thank you, but I am not really worried about the top so much. For the price, and overall condition this vehicle is a great value. I'm handy enough to work my way through repairing it if need be. I was unaware of the valet switch today as I was looking at the vehicle. I may go back to look at it a bit more to determine the cause. It's hard troubleshooting a car on a car lot.
Check if this car was (probably) rear ended on the right side
Old 05-04-17, 04:03 AM
mandyfig

Go get it! Before you lose it for that price.
Old 05-04-17, 06:23 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

The top switch flashed red while I held the brake down, in ln park. I held it for some time. I heard no mechanical noises either which prompted me to wonder if the signal for top down was being blocked.
I was thinking more on this and it's probably your valet switch (flashing red and top doesn't move). In the case of the SC430 I passed on, the top would open a few inches and then stop...certainly if it does that there is more involved...like a cable off track. But no movement might actually be a good sign.

Like others have mentioned a 2004 SC with 85k for $10k is a steal! I'm in NC and ship mine all the way from Florida to get mine. Around here SC430s in good condition are in short supply.

Quick Reply: SC 430 shopping, top inop