Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Interesting Dilemma..

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-17, 09:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,698 Likes on 1,935 Posts

Originally Posted by spiveyb
Ah I got you.. I guess that's just where we defer.. Not only is she my wife, she is also my business partner, best friend, and etc. You really can't relate and don't have a choice because you are the only one generating income, and even when your wife was working she wasn't making as much as you. Not to mention you even said your wife wanted her own things, but you persisted on the way it is now, so lets not act like what I'm doing is off base. We have the mentality that 2 is better than 1, and in the event something happens to one of us loses our jobs, the other picks up the slack. But as stated many times in this post, if it works for you then good deal.
I can relate...like I said my wife did work until our kids were born. Yes she wanted to "pull her own weight" and not be dependent on me, like I said I understand the separate finances...what I don't understand is the individual ownership. Even when my wife was working...it would never occur to me to "sell" her my car. It would never occur to me to transact business with her in any way. She may choose a car and pay for it out of her account, but its not "hers" and "not mine" is the concept. The goal of her having a separate account was not so she could do things and "not ask me" it was she felt like she shouldn't ask me to pay her way, she wanted to be able to take care of the expenses that pertained only to her...it wasn't as if she was out there saying "I want to be able to buy what I want and not ask him permission".

In your situation, with your finances as separate as they are, she "bought" the car from you and now its hers...how will you feel if she looses her job and now you're paying her car payment on the car that she bought from you?!? See...when my wife stopped working and we lost that income there was no "hers" and "mine", our income simply went from X to Y and we adapted. I took over paying what she paid out of her account, which was her student loans and her car payment, and then her "spending money" comes out of our joint account now. However...I didn't sell her that car and now all of a sudden I'm back paying for what I sold to her lol

If you had just said she was going to take the GS and pay the payment out of her account, or refinance it to a payment she can make it wouldn't have been so weird, whats weird is the concept that your wife would have to buy a car from her own husband.

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-04-17 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-04-17, 09:47 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,084 Likes on 1,481 Posts

Old 05-04-17, 10:10 AM
spiveyb
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Right about what?? Lol didn't know this was a right or wrong topic. I have a easy fix to this all.. my household works for us, not for you.. problem solved, there's no debating.
Old 05-04-17, 10:15 AM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Thank you!! Finally a couple that thinks outside the narrow minded marriage folks lol.

But back to the original reason of why I'm here. After a day of thinking it over I decided that I won't be selling her my car, for the exact reasoned you mentioned. She honestly wouldn't let me drive the car either, and I know I would be pissed about it lol. She's going to go with the IS route and keep the genesis for get around purposes. If the 5GS is released then I would still be in the market for one, because I plan to have my car paid off well before then. If it doesn't, then like a previous person mentioned there's always the new LS that's coming out.
Certainly, you are not narrow-minded. So if you sold your car to a guy in California whom you never knew, would you expect that guy to let you drive that car every once in a while you visit California? If not, why is that expectation from your wife?
Old 05-04-17, 10:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bb700092
Certainly, you are not narrow-minded. So if you sold your car to a guy in California whom you never knew, would you expect that guy to let you drive that car every once in a while you visit California? If not, why is that expectation from your wife?
Exactly. Why should it be any different for your wife if it's just a business transaction like it is with the guy in CA?

Like I said, bizarre lol.
Old 05-04-17, 10:51 AM
spiveyb
Driver

You guys are really perplexed about my household.. lolol.. So I guess since it isn't the norm, there will always be people to question or to hate ones own way of doing things. Well I'm glad I'm here to break up the monotony lol.
Old 05-04-17, 12:13 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

You guys are really perplexed about my household.. lolol.. So I guess since it isn't the norm, there will always be people to question or to hate ones own way of doing things. Well I'm glad I'm here to break up the monotony lol.
You've provided some amusement - that's for sure!
Old 05-04-17, 12:35 PM
NebulaGrey
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

You've provided some amusement - that's for sure!
lol... 4 pages of amusement... all good readings...
Old 05-04-17, 12:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yup, I found it fascinating
Old 05-04-17, 12:47 PM
spiveyb
Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Yup, I found it fascinating
I do too. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with people disagreeing with my methods, but it still ends being the same at the end. HAPPY WIFE, HAPPY LIFE.. and obviously were all doing something right to be in this situation were in now discussing this topic.
Old 05-04-17, 02:57 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Steve, time to upgrade to a Rolls Royce. SW17RR.
Old 05-04-17, 03:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Steve, time to upgrade to a Rolls Royce. SW17RR.
Yeah man, YOLO!
Old 05-04-17, 06:08 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

So does this sound like crazy idea? Thoughts?
Did you get enough responses? We aim to please, so let us know if you need more...
Old 05-04-17, 07:00 PM
mikesd1980
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 you guys crack me up

Did you get enough responses? We aim to please, so let us know if you need more...
Old 05-04-17, 09:03 PM
viperr
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

From my original comment on page 1 and monitoring throughout the rest of the pages, I thought this discussion was going to take a wrong turn for the worse like a ticking time bomb (like others posts in the past). Glad it didn't and indeed it is very amusing. If spiveyb is happy, then thats good enough for me.

Quick Reply: Interesting Dilemma..