Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

14' IS250 Air Intake Choices

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-17, 10:51 AM
TRISTAN3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 14' IS250 Air Intake Choices

Hey guys, I'm looking for an air intake and since I'm in Canada, I cannot buy a F-SPORT Intake since it's not sold here (As per Northwest Lexus). The F-SPORT one is pretty expensive and then on top of that, I'd have to pay for shipping and customs. SO.... before making that my last option, I wanted to see what you guys think about the following Intake Systems:

AEM - https://www.carid.com/2014-lexus-is-...377218735.html
Injen - https://www.carid.com/2014-lexus-is-...377218648.html
Takada - https://www.carid.com/2014-lexus-is-...377218807.html

I understand that noticeable performance won't happen but the sound and hopefully throttle response will increase. So far I've heard lots of good things about the Injen model... Let me know what you guys think

2014 Lexus IS250 F-SPORT (2.5L)
Old 04-11-17, 05:17 PM
Answer
Instructor

Received 831 Likes on 404 Posts

I'm currently debating the exact same thing... I'm also in Canada so options are in fact limited...

I ruled out the Injen due to not having any sort of heat shield. I'm leaning toward the aFE/Takeda since it has a dry flow filter, so less chances of ruining the MAF sensor... But it's more expensive...

I found some aFE intakes on Ebay (sold by JCWithney) that had the "prepaid" duties, so at least with them, no surprise! I also have a local guys that can have them, but he's like 100$ more than Ebay.
Old 04-12-17, 08:10 AM
TRISTAN3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Answer
I'm currently debating the exact same thing... I'm also in Canada so options are in fact limited...

I ruled out the Injen due to not having any sort of heat shield. I'm leaning toward the aFE/Takeda since it has a dry flow filter, so less chances of ruining the MAF sensor... But it's more expensive...

I found some aFE intakes on Ebay (sold by JCWithney) that had the "prepaid" duties, so at least with them, no surprise! I also have a local guys that can have them, but he's like 100$ more than Ebay.
I was thinking about the Takada too but its Stage Two and I don't know how that would affect the engine (i.e blowing a gasket or some nonsense like that...)

That said, the Injen model does come with the option to purchase a Pre-Filter called the Hydro-Shield which stops water and debris because it acts as a hydrophobic bag that covers the original filter. The other reason im with the Injen is because it clearly states that its for the 250 whereas the others all say its compatible with the 350. Is there a difference? Also, whats the difference between the Takeda Pro Dry S and the Pro5 R

Last edited by TRISTAN3; 04-12-17 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-12-17, 08:17 AM
TRISTAN3
Driver School Candidate

^^^Whoops... The Takeda will fit, I just didn't see the options list....
Old 04-12-17, 09:03 AM
Answer
Instructor

The "stage 2" is just a wording, it doesn't change anything.
The Pro Dry is the dry filter and the 5R is the oiled version (you ideally want a dry filter, bi chances in ruining the MAF sensor).
The hydroshield won't change anything in our case, the hood is well isolated so it's not an issue, it's mostly for cold air intakes that go down in the bumper.
Old 04-16-17, 04:14 PM
TRISTAN3
Driver School Candidate

The "stage 2" is just a wording, it doesn't change anything.
The Pro Dry is the dry filter and the 5R is the oiled version (you ideally want a dry filter, bi chances in ruining the MAF sensor).
The hydroshield won't change anything in our case, the hood is well isolated so it's not an issue, it's mostly for cold air intakes that go down in the bumper.
Well, after doing some more research and your input, I have decided that next month, i'll be purchasing the Takada Pro Dry S
Old 04-17-17, 06:10 AM
Jchoi
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Get the Takada... it's good and sounds great. i'm using it on my car
Old 04-17-17, 08:58 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 688 Likes on 605 Posts

Contact us for pricing on the Takeda systems!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 04-17-17, 09:05 AM
Answer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Contact us for pricing on the Takeda systems!

-Josh
shipping to Canada might kill the deal for us.. but how much?
Old 04-17-17, 11:42 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 688 Likes on 605 Posts

shipping to Canada might kill the deal for us.. but how much?
Shoot me a text..

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 05-05-17, 01:47 PM
celiceds
Driver School Candidate

My 2015 IS-350 will get to 30k soon, and I am also considering upgrade to F-Sport air intake. Found the whole set or just the filter on ebay.
Old 05-06-17, 03:36 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

If you want increased throttle response also look into the Apexi Accel, its the best mod I've done on the GS. I can tell you that it will make driving much more fun with the way you can set the throttle. I have a Takeda intake on the way for increased sound.
Old 05-07-17, 04:39 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

^^^+1 on the Apexi throttle controller, happy with it on the RCF making it hard to not burn out on takeoffs

I had the Takeda with the dry filter on my '14 IS 250 and was happy with it (~$300 Cdn 3+ years ago bought from a US vendor). Butt dyno or fact, I immediately noticed a livelier engine with a slightly louder tone especially above 3500 rpm.

This time on my '17 IS 300, I didn't want to spend the extra cash so I went with a much cheaper generic option (~$90 $Cdn all-in EBay) made for the 2IS but I got it to fit anyway. The finish quality is ok but the welding is spotty and the finish overall is not as nice from up close. (You do get what you pay for in this case). I also will wash my filter much more frequently as I don't trust it as much, or I may simply replace it with a higher quality brand-name filter cone (Takeda, K&N, etc) for better peace-of-mind. If I do the latter, it will add another $60-$80 Cdn, still making it a solid value over the full brand intake systems.

Here's the Takeda on my '14 IS which also has a "heat shield" but heat as you know will transfer through metal at some point so on hot days, you will still feel a very slight degradation at low speeds (> 20C) vs colder days (< 20C).

Here's the cheap generic Ebay one. I installed it over the bottom half of the OEM filter box to keep it held in place and to also help "cold" air get channeled to it from the OEM "ram air" venting in the front. Note, no heat shield, but so far during these colder days (~ 10C to 15 C), response is good.

Finally, I would love to buy from US vendors sponsoring CL such as Meraki Autoworks since they carry EVERYTHING and their pricing (in USD) is great, but what kills us Canadians is the shipping and exchange rate (x1.4 these days!) and sometimes customs. As a local alternative, check out TDotPerformance.ca. They usually carry stock, shipping is free and within a week it's at your doorstep.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 05-07-17 at 04:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Meraki Autoworks (07-02-19)
Old 07-01-19, 10:50 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,384 Likes on 636 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
^^^+1 on the Apexi throttle controller, happy with it on the RCF making it hard to not burn out on takeoffs

I had the Takeda with the dry filter on my '14 IS 250 and was happy with it (~$300 Cdn 3+ years ago bought from a US vendor). Butt dyno or fact, I immediately noticed a livelier engine with a slightly louder tone especially above 3500 rpm.

This time on my '17 IS 300, I didn't want to spend the extra cash so I went with a much cheaper generic option (~$90 $Cdn all-in EBay) made for the 2IS but I got it to fit anyway. The finish quality is ok but the welding is spotty and the finish overall is not as nice from up close. (You do get what you pay for in this case). I also will wash my filter much more frequently as I don't trust it as much, or I may simply replace it with a higher quality brand-name filter cone (Takeda, K&N, etc) for better peace-of-mind. If I do the latter, it will add another $60-$80 Cdn, still making it a solid value over the full brand intake systems.

Here's the Takeda on my '14 IS which also has a "heat shield" but heat as you know will transfer through metal at some point so on hot days, you will still feel a very slight degradation at low speeds (> 20C) vs colder days (< 20C).

Here's the cheap generic Ebay one. I installed it over the bottom half of the OEM filter box to keep it held in place and to also help "cold" air get channeled to it from the OEM "ram air" venting in the front. Note, no heat shield, but so far during these colder days (~ 10C to 15 C), response is good.

Finally, I would love to buy from US vendors sponsoring CL such as Meraki Autoworks since they carry EVERYTHING and their pricing (in USD) is great, but what kills us Canadians is the shipping and exchange rate (x1.4 these days!) and sometimes customs. As a local alternative, check out TDotPerformance.ca. They usually carry stock, shipping is free and within a week it's at your doorstep.
Yes but.... I’ll guarantee you that intake doesn’t make a single HP on an is250. And Stock airbox sees lower IATs.

Rafi
Old 07-05-19, 06:41 AM
CarEnth777
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've been driving for a few weeks now with the AEM cold air intake on my 2014 base IS250. I didn't notice a huge difference in performance but the change in sound is excellent. While driving normal it sounds nearly stock in the cabin. Under hard acceleration it sounds great and you can hear the cam switch point, around 4K. With the RR-Racing tune it sounds awesome as the car approaches the new 7200 rev limit. Acceleration up to that rev limit is linear and doesn't die off at the top end.

Quick Reply: 14' IS250 Air Intake Choices