GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Alignment questions & concerns

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-17, 04:10 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Is this the lean TSB you were referring to?

Old 05-12-17, 11:07 AM
abudiman
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes this is it.

Today Lexus Dealer called me and says Lexus Corporation HONORED the WARRANTY and I will post the Invoice. Pickup my GX this evening or tomorrow morning.

I keep all posted.
Old 05-12-17, 02:56 PM
abudiman
Driver School Candidate

Talking Pulling Right Fixed and Now drive like a champ

Here is the Copy of Dealer Invoice. I paid only 4 wheels Alignment. But other Parts and Labor is already taken care of by warranty. Took 2 days

I was told by service advisor Toyota wants a proof of car leaning to right (pictures and another level reading taken at dealer for Toyota corporation approval)
All right side Control Arm was removed, Swing bar, KDSS Passenger side mount also removed, strut also removed and check for bent. All good except sagging spring.
I'm so relieved Lexus honored my repair according to their own guidelines.

Here is the proof of service excellence pursuit of perfection ...
Attached Thumbnails Alignment questions & concerns-gx460-spring-repaired-1.jpg   Alignment questions & concerns-gx460-spring-repaired-2.jpg  
Old 05-12-17, 08:22 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Is your GX look even now? I got my Gx replaced with the TSB coil spring two years ago and it is still lean to the right
Old 05-14-17, 03:41 AM
abudiman
Driver School Candidate

Try check the rear spring. because from measurement shows rear is about 1 inch lower, front just 0.6 inch. But Lexus just want to replace front because it does pull right when you drive. It cost only 200+ for rear spring and labor maybe another $200 so its not that bad. I will look into this next week with rear spring.
Old 05-14-17, 08:15 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

I have a new 2017 GX, and I also noticed I have to **** the steering wheel to the left (pulls right) when I go down the road. I plan to bring it up on my first service visit.

I know that roads are "crowned" but this goes beyond that.
Old 05-27-17, 04:07 PM
mattau
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the same issue with mine (2013 with 30k miles) . Brought it to my dealer and was told the road is not level and after asking that they check the alignment, they came back saying everything is normal. The car still pull to the right slightly. What else can I do?
Old 05-27-17, 04:17 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mattau
I have the same issue with mine (2013 with 30k miles) . Brought it to my dealer and was told the road is not level and after asking that they check the alignment, they came back saying everything is normal. The car still pull to the right slightly. What else can I do?

Have you taken it to a 3rd party alignment shop? A second or 3rd opinion is always good in these types of issues.
Old 05-28-17, 06:45 PM
mattau
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Have you taken it to a 3rd party alignment shop? A second or 3rd opinion is always good in these types of issues.
Not yet. I will go back to dealer and see if they can provide me with the printout to at least prove that they checked the alignment!.
Old 05-28-17, 07:33 PM
caesosa
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Not yet. I will go back to dealer and see if they can provide me with the printout to at least prove that they checked the alignment!.
just FYI, a car doesn't pull because it's out of alignment. It pulls because it's worn the tire unevenly because it's out of alignment. If you move the uneven tires to the back the car should stop pulling.

if you bought it used and the dealer rotated the tires on a regular basis it's possible they are all worn unevenly and that the previous owner did get aligned.

ive seen it many times where people get an alignment and the car still pulls and they always go back to the alignment shop to ask why it's still pulling. It amazes me that alignment techs don't advise rotating the uneven tires to the back.

Rub you hands om the front tires and if they have height differences between grooves and sloping edges. If they do, that is your issue.

Good luck!
Old 05-30-17, 07:03 PM
mattau
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by caesosa
just FYI, a car doesn't pull because it's out of alignment. It pulls because it's worn the tire unevenly because it's out of alignment. If you move the uneven tires to the back the car should stop pulling.

if you bought it used and the dealer rotated the tires on a regular basis it's possible they are all worn unevenly and that the previous owner did get aligned.

ive seen it many times where people get an alignment and the car still pulls and they always go back to the alignment shop to ask why it's still pulling. It amazes me that alignment techs don't advise rotating the uneven tires to the back.

Rub you hands om the front tires and if they have height differences between grooves and sloping edges. If they do, that is your issue.

Good luck!
Thanks for the tip. The car is a Lexus CPO 2013 that I just picked up a couple of weeks ago. If there are tire wear issues, you would think that would be addressed by the LCPO process too, no?
Old 05-30-17, 08:51 PM
caesosa
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks for the tip. The car is a Lexus CPO 2013 that I just picked up a couple of weeks ago. If there are tire wear issues, you would think that would be addressed by the LCPO process too, no?
haha no. I just bought a 13' cpo and had a vibration issue. The vibration only came on at 60+ mph which I doubt they tested. I had the tires balanced 3 times (once normal balance, fixed at 60mph but not 70). Had the tires road force balance to make sure and at the tire shop they said yes, tires are out of round. They fixed the vibration but after so much hassle at that point I said scrap the tires and start fresh.

It would have been above and beyond for them to figure that out especially because they can't control what or where the previous owners did service. I believe alignment is not covered by warranty so it could have been done at a tire shop and thus not make it to carfax.
Old 06-03-17, 03:18 PM
juicius
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had the same issue with ours (2012) until my wife so helpfully ran it into the concrete base of a parking garage light. $12,000 worth of repairs (paid for by insurance) later, it's tracking straight now. So while I don't know the cause of this issue, at least I know it's repairable... Just... Don't do it the way my wife did...

Last edited by juicius; 06-03-17 at 03:19 PM. Reason: 2012, not 2011
Old 06-03-17, 03:24 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by juicius
We had the same issue with ours (2012) until my wife so helpfully ran it into the concrete base of a parking garage light. $12,000 worth of repairs (paid for by insurance) later, it's tracking straight now. So while I don't know the cause of this issue, at least I know it's repairable... Just... Don't do it the way my wife did...
Yikes... hopefully she came out of that unscathed. Most airbags in front go off?
Old 06-03-17, 05:50 PM
juicius
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Yikes... hopefully she came out of that unscathed. Most airbags in front go off?
She was fine and none of the airbags went off. It was apparently a very low speed impact, but as she turned into it, it was a frontal offset impact. Since the concrete base didn't even flinch, the car ate all the energy from the worst angle accident-wise. They had to take off a lot of the internals to check the frame so that added the cost, from what they said. All in all, we had 0 deductible due to deductible saving ($100 off every quarter with no accident) and accident forgiveness, the entire accident cost us nothing out of pocket and our rate didn't go up. I guess if we had to get into an accident, this was how...

Quick Reply: Alignment questions & concerns