Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The $70,000 car with 4 door question . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-17, 05:53 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ragingf80
The $100k M3/4s are ridiculous. I would not be willing to pay that much for an M4. It's not that there aren't enough people who can afford it, because there are, but for that kind of money you can get a decently optioned Porsche. I would even hesitate to spend $90k on an M3/4. Many of these cars are special ordered and abandoned.
prices on the M3/4 must've really gone up...or you guys are seeing ones optioned with the $9k CCBs. MSRP for ours was around $75K (she wanted the manual so that saved $3k) and it has everything she wanted. We ordered it and we were still able to get a lil over 8% off. Of course, we had to do some bargaining but we got the first allocation of the 2016s made. Hopefully the rarity of a manual with a sunroof makes it more attractive to someone. Hahahahaha

and while ive never been in an RCF....the interior of the LC is STUNNING. Well befitting a premium grand tourer....
Old 06-04-17, 06:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

LC too feminine? The car is beautiful IMHO...
Old 06-04-17, 06:06 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
And nowhere near as nice. Material quality in the LC is multiple levels beyond the RCF...the LCs I sat in had zero low quality materials, everything you touch is leather or some sort of real metal. The RC has numerous areas of low quality hard plastic, painted fake metallic trims, synthetic leather, etc. The LC is the highest quality Lexus interior I have ever seen. My standards are pretty high coming from the LS which has better materials than the RC also.

The LC is just on an entirely different level than the RC, even the RCF. Much more special feeling car.
you must be confusing the normal RC (200t, 300, 350) and the F variant. Have you even sat in both the regular RC and the RCF? The RCF carries a $4k real leather package (on all units) on true racing seats, numerous carbon fiber inserts, and suede center arm rest. Besides the glove box and door speaker storage area (where your knee touchs) are plastic, the rest are high quality material. Park your LS next to the RCF, it will give your car a good run for its money. Like I said, it's definitely not worth $40k difference
Old 06-04-17, 06:08 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

LC too feminine? The car is beautiful IMHO...
you have feminine taste? Hahaah jkjk

it has the regular RC front fascia for god sakes
Old 06-04-17, 06:21 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DrRick
prices on the M3/4 must've really gone up...or you guys are seeing ones optioned with the $9k CCBs. MSRP for ours was around $75K (she wanted the manual so that saved $3k) and it has everything she wanted. We ordered it and we were still able to get a lil over 8% off. Of course, we had to do some bargaining but we got the first allocation of the 2016s made. Hopefully the rarity of a manual with a sunroof makes it more attractive to someone. Hahahahaha
A fully optioned Competition Pack M3 minus the CCBs is $85k based on the website (with all the CF exterior bits). Add to that the $6k M Performance Exhaust, which I recommend if you are leasing, and it's $90k. If you are not leasing, skip the exhaust and get a Akrapovic. I used to recommend getting the MPE no matter what, but after having to replace mine recently, I can't recommend it outside of warranty. Anyway, you can still get a stripped one for $64k, and most of them are easily in the $70k range once options are in, but you get the picture. The Competition Pack is a $4750 option alone.
Old 06-04-17, 06:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ssmoked
you must be confusing the normal RC (200t, 300, 350) and the F variant. Have you even sat in both the regular RC and the RCF? The RCF carries a $4k real leather package (on all units) on true racing seats, numerous carbon fiber inserts, and suede center arm rest. Besides the glove box and door speaker storage area (where your knee touchs) are plastic, the rest are high quality material. Park your LS next to the RCF, it will give your car a good run for its money. Like I said, it's definitely not worth $40k difference
Yes I have sat in and driven the RC-F, its the same basic interior with the same hard plastics in places (lower door panels, lower dash) same painted faux metal trim). The LS is significantly better in the material department and the LC is way better. The RC is better than the IS, but not by a whole lot. GS-F is considerably better than the RC-F but still not up to the LC. I would say the GS-F gives the LS a run for its money inside, but not the LC. The RC-F at its core is a $45,000 vehicle. and the interior's basics reflect that. The LC is a $90,000+ vehicle, and the interior's basics reflect that too.

I would never purchase an RC-F but I would buy an LC. Very different vehicles, the LC is a super high quality grand tourer and the RC-F is a far more brutish type sport coupe. The LC is a much more mature type vehicle. Well worth $40k more IMHO.

it has the regular RC front fascia for god sakes
LOL, Huh?!?

RC:

LC500:

They both have spindle grills. They're both red lol.

Sorry, the LC is just a beautiful car, best made Lexus I've ever seen and sat in. Blows the RC-F away in that department.

I'm not alone in the opinion that its beautiful either, reviews are full of that praise. In the MT ignition review the guy parked it next to an Aston Martin and made a point of pointing out that every car he's ever sat next to that car looked terrible alongside it...until the LC.

A more real world example, I have had multiple friends who know I drive Lexuses who have asked me about the LC after seeing the commercials, tell me I've got to buy it. One wants to come along with me when I test drive it. These people have never said a word to me about another Lexus model before lol.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-04-17 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-04-17, 06:55 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Yes I have sat in and driven the RC-F, its the same basic interior with the same hard plastics in places (lower door panels, lower dash) same painted faux metal trim). The LS is significantly better in the material department and the LC is way better. The RC is better than the IS, but not by a whole lot. GS-F is considerably better than the RC-F but still not up to the LC. I would say the GS-F gives the LS a run for its money inside, but not the LC. The RC-F at its core is a $45,000 vehicle. and the interior's basics reflect that. The LC is a $90,000+ vehicle, and the interior's basics reflect that too.

I would never purchase an RC-F but I would buy an LC. Very different vehicles, the LC is a super high quality grand tourer and the RC-F is a far more brutish type sport coupe. The LC is a much more mature type vehicle. Well worth $40k more IMHO.

LOL, Huh?!?

RC:

LC500:

They both have spindle grills. They're both red lol.

Sorry, the LC is just a beautiful car, best made Lexus I've ever seen and sat in. Blows the RC-F away in that department.

I'm not alone in the opinion that its beautiful either, reviews are full of that praise. In the MT ignition review the guy parked it next to an Aston Martin and made a point of pointing out that every car he's ever sat next to that car looked terrible alongside it...until the LC.
you lost me when you claimed the GSF is MUCH better than the RCF interior wise. That brings me to conclude you sat in a RC 350 FSPORT instead.
The GSF literally have the SAME exact seats (except for the rear obviously) down to the leather material and crappy seat warmer/cooler, same speedo/performance display gauges and functions, same arm rest, same headliner... the ONLY difference is the AC and radio control ***** which are the same in other GS variants. Visit the dealer and redo your homework when you have some time.

how can you not see the plastic shape similarity between the LC and regular RC under the headlight, the hood, and grill? Look at the RCF picture. It distinguishes from the regular RC with the large vents to cool oil and tranny fluid. Also the aggressive vented hood. Guess only time will tell how well the public accepts the price vs product. My prediction is it will sit and force heavy discounts to move. A manufacture can list a car at any price, it doesnt mean it will sell at that price. RCF and GSF had to be discounted 20-25% to move new units only because the M3/M4 is a tad faster and the M5/E63/CTSV trumps the GSF. The LC will follow the trend with inferior engine compared to its class...no one buy cars for its interior primarily now days and doesnt put heavy consideration on the performance output. Who wants to pay 6 figures and take their car to a car meet and be imbarrassed with the engine output.

I can explain exactly why your friends dont know about the RCF. Blame it on Lexus, there are literally zero advertisements on it. When was the last time you saw one for the RCF and GSF? That's another reason why it didnt sell well. If Lexus doesnt advertise this six figure LC, it will sell zero units
Attached Thumbnails The ,000 car with 4 door question . . .-img_0987.jpg  

Last edited by ssmoked; 06-04-17 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-04-17, 07:05 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A fully optioned Competition Pack M3 minus the CCBs is $85k based on the website (with all the CF exterior bits). Add to that the $6k M Performance Exhaust, which I recommend if you are leasing, and it's $90k. If you are not leasing, skip the exhaust and get a Akrapovic. I used to recommend getting the MPE no matter what, but after having to replace mine recently, I can't recommend it outside of warranty. Anyway, you can still get a stripped one for $64k, and most of them are easily in the $70k range once options are in, but you get the picture. The Competition Pack is a $4750 option alone.
gotcha. they didnt even have the ZCP when she got hers. and im not sure there's an exhaust made that can make the S55 sound good...
Old 06-04-17, 07:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not an idiot, I've posted here 18,000 times you don't think I know the difference between an RC-F and an RC350 F Sport? I do lol. The basic interior is the same. The lower doors and dash are hard plastic, as they are in any RC, small nav screen, painted faux metal trim in places. The GS has soft touch plastics in all the areas where the plastic is hard touch in the RC and IS. Yes the seats are great in the RC-F, but the basic interior is the same as any RC, just with some additional trim and stitched areas. I'm glad you're happy with it but it's not for me.

Interior material quality and build quality is a big thing for me. IS, RC, ES, NX, RX in many ways don't do it for me in that department. Even the LX has a lot of hard plastic inside in places. The LC has none, zero. Every material is very high quality.

Lexus advertises the RC too, it just doesn't have the same level of appeal. 99% of people don't know the difference or can't tell between an RC F Sport and an RC-F. I was sitting in a bar with my cousin and an LC ad came on, he immediately goes "wow, what sort of Lexus IS that? It's incredible". Never happened before.

I think they'll sell the LC just fine. I think what we have at play here is a little envy lol
Old 06-04-17, 07:22 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Guys knock off the personal commentary please
Old 06-04-17, 07:28 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

I'm not an idiot, I've posted here 18,000 times you don't think I know the difference between an RC-F and an RC350 F Sport? I do lol. The basic interior is the same. The lower doors and dash are hard plastic, as they are in any RC, small nav screen, painted faux metal trim in places. The GS has soft touch plastics in all the areas where the plastic is hard touch in the RC and IS. Yes the seats are great in the RC-F, but the basic interior is the same as any RC, just with some additional trim and stitched areas. I'm glad you're happy with it but it's not for me.

Interior material quality and build quality is a big thing for me. IS, RC, ES, NX, RX in many ways don't do it for me in that department. Even the LX has a lot of hard plastic inside in places. The LC has none, zero. Every material is very high quality.

Lexus advertises the RC too, it just doesn't have the same level of appeal. 99% of people don't know the difference or can't tell between an RC F Sport and an RC-F. I was sitting in a bar with my cousin and an LC ad came on, he immediately goes "wow, what sort of Lexus IS that? It's incredible". Never happened before.

I think they'll sell the LC just fine. I think what we have at play here is a little envy lol
at the end of the day I dont see that $40k interior premium and obviously you do. Heck, I can probably achieve the better interior for a fraction of the premium with a custom shop if i really cared to

btw they only advertise the lower trim RC only...An actual owner would know.

I do admit the LC interior is nicer than my RCF, as it should be with that kind of premium. But envy?? Not over something feminine that can be mistaken for the regular RC from the front. For 100k I would skip the LC in a heart beat and buy a new Maserati GranTurismo.
Old 06-04-17, 07:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed, we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Old 06-04-17, 07:39 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

you lost me when you claimed the GSF is MUCH better than the RCF interior wise. That brings me to conclude you sat in a RC 350 FSPORT instead.
The GSF literally have the SAME exact seats (except for the rear obviously) down to the leather material and crappy seat warmer/cooler, same speedo/performance display gauges and functions, same arm rest, same headliner... the ONLY difference is the AC and radio control ***** which are the same in other GS variants. Visit the dealer and redo your homework when you have some time.

how can you not see the plastic shape similarity between the LC and regular RC under the headlight, the hood, and grill? Look at the RCF picture. It distinguishes from the regular RC with the large vents to cool oil and tranny fluid. Also the aggressive vented hood. Guess only time will tell how well the public accepts the price vs product. My prediction is it will sit and force heavy discounts to move. A manufacture can list a car at any price, it doesnt mean it will sell at that price. RCF and GSF had to be discounted 20-25% to move new units only because the M3/M4 is a tad faster and the M5/E63/CTSV trumps the GSF. The LC will follow the trend with inferior engine compared to its class...no one buy cars for its interior primarily now days and doesnt put heavy consideration on the performance output. Who wants to pay 6 figures and take their car to a car meet and be imbarrassed with the engine output.

I can explain exactly why your friends dont know about the RCF. Blame it on Lexus, there are literally zero advertisements on it. When was the last time you saw one for the RCF and GSF? That's another reason why it didnt sell well. If Lexus doesnt advertise this six figure LC, it will sell zero units
Originally Posted by DrRick
gotcha. they didnt even have the ZCP when she got hers. and im not sure there's an exhaust made that can make the S55 sound good...
It's a rattley engine, no matter how you dress it, but the MPE and a lot of the aftermarket exhausts are worlds better than the stock sound. One thing I can say is the MPE is louder, more bass, and at high rev, sounds heavenly.

Anyway, sorry to thread jack.
Old 06-04-17, 07:51 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

It's a rattley engine, no matter how you dress it, but the MPE and a lot of the aftermarket exhausts are worlds better than the stock sound. One thing I can say is the MPE is louder, more bass, and at high rev, sounds heavenly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NntZ-3PrMcU

Anyway, sorry to thread jack.
sounds like a civic.... just stated by my gf haha

that video reminds me of the RCF when I floor it everytime from a stop, can never get any grip. Too much power for a rwd. I actually almost bought the Yas Marina M4 when shopping. But couldn't pass on getting the 73K RCF for 59k
Old 06-04-17, 08:06 PM
fscoblete
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I think I progressed with car buying over the years, put 30% down and financed for 60 mos. on my first car. 50% down and 36 mos. on the 335. 75% down on the 3rd car but fell off the wagon and did 60 mos. But my wife and I split it so we paid it off in 24 mos. Last car the LS430 put 100% down (although it was a 11 y.o. car). I'm not so sure I ever want a car payment again, but realistically, I don't see how I could put more than 50% down on a nice car like say a M2. If I had discipline, what would change is my desire for the M2 (no 100% down, no dice), but I'm only human....it's a tough call. When I'm on the road, getting breakfast at hotels, I see some folks going for cereal or oatmeal over the eggs and sausage. That's discipline. Sometimes hard to apply the same to spending money...
Very well said. It is true, though. Thank you for the analogy- you are spot on!

Quick Reply: The $70,000 car with 4 door question . . .