GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Amateur Radio in GS 350

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-17, 07:54 PM
sliderule0
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Amateur Radio in GS 350

I drive a lot and end up literally spending a lot of hours driving down the interstate. I am thinking about adding an HF and VHF radio to the car to allow me to talk around the world to people. This is not a CB. Power is 100Watts or so. Any restrictions known that might interfere with cars computers?

Thanks

Scott
Old 06-04-17, 09:30 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,515 Posts

You should be okay with the RF (regardless of frequency) not interfering with the car's electronics, including the ECU.

Since you mentioned talking around the world I assume you'd like to operate on 10, 15 and 20 meters. Mounting an HF antenna somewhere on the car will likely be your biggest issue. The battery/alternator taking the load when transmitting shouldn't be a problem.

Where will you be placing (mounting) the rig? Can you remote-mount the rig and use a faceplate somewhere in the driver's area? I believe some 2 Meter rigs with a detachable faceplate also have 10 Meter capability.

73s
Old 06-04-17, 10:28 AM
tonyxcom
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is barely anywhere to rest my cel phone or sunglasses so mounting a radio might be tough. Remote faceplate would make things slightly easier.

K6FDE
Old 06-04-17, 12:07 PM
Mike246
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Interesting question.

I have a GS250 (in the UK) but have not installed any amateur equipment. I did have an issue with a window-mount camera messing up the satnav so beware!

However I do have a 2m/70cm rig in my'98 GS300 with a whip mounted on the rear wing. No problems and all works a treat.

So far as HF is concerned, I think that is a big ask. How you would get a mobile antenna to work effectively on short waves in beyond me.

​​​​​​​Good luck!
Old 06-05-17, 01:21 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Scott,

The small Icom IC-7000 (HF, VHF, UHF) has a removable face plate that is easily plate-mounted for a location somewhere near the driver's position.

You could use a magnet-mount on the roof for your two preferred band antennas. The IC-7000 rig has two SO-239 antenna connectors; one for HF & 50MHz bands and another for the 144/430/440MHz bands.
Old 06-05-17, 09:44 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a cell phone that allows me to do just that. (sorry, couldn't resist)

Agree I wouldn't expect there to be interference with the car's electronics. Similarly, I trust results over theory. Computers can take interference in unexpected ways.
Old 06-05-17, 10:01 PM
tonyxcom
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spoogenet
I have a cell phone that allows me to do just that. (sorry, couldn't resist)
Cel phones are great for talking to people you know. Ham radio is very different in that regard.

Ham radios are also a good backup in places where cel phones don't work.
Old 06-06-17, 07:02 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are interested in "...talking to people around the world" you'd better plan on installing an amplifier that will put out 500-1000 watts. Propagation has been terrible on the HF bands and adding an amplifier will help the situation but will add to your RF interference problems with the car's electronics. Talking locally on a 2-meter transceiver should pose no problems at all at a 50 watt output level. --... ...-- -.-
Old 06-06-17, 09:14 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 194 Posts

Back to the 90's.
Old 06-06-17, 10:40 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by er34
Back to the 90's.
Ham radio is actually exciting and a lot of fun...and an excellent hobby to learn about RF communications, electronics, circuits, etc. You can even build (home-brew) some of your own equipment if you wish. You can communicate with people (other stations) all over the World with vast differences in interest from your own; from places like deep in rain forest jungles in South America to the North or South Pole, or places like the uninhabited Clipperton Island in the South Pacific...and meet people from heads-of-state and Kings of countries to hideouts in DPR Korea. You can bounce signals off the lunar surface and talk with our astronauts in outer space. You can compete in contests against other HAM radio operators in the U.S. and also compete against other operators worldwide, making contact with as many stations as possible over a period of 24/48 hours.

Last edited by bclexus; 06-06-17 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-06-17, 09:00 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Ham radio is actually exciting and a lot of fun...and an excellent hobby to learn about RF communications, electronics, circuits, etc. You can even build (home-brew) some of your own equipment if you wish. You can communicate with people (other stations) all over the World with vast differences in interest from your own; from places like deep in rain forest jungles in South America to the North or South Pole, or places like the uninhabited Clipperton Island in the South Pacific...and meet people from heads-of-state and Kings of countries to hideouts in DPR Korea. You can bounce signals off the lunar surface and talk with our astronauts in outer space. You can compete in contests against other HAM radio operators in the U.S. and also compete against other operators worldwide, making contact with as many stations as possible over a period of 24/48 hours.
If the Clipperton Island is uninhabited, to whom would you be speaking?

Good summary of what ham radio can be about, and a kind reminder that our world is large and diverse, and the "common" means of communication vary with locale.

Off topic, but read an interesting article lately how the Navy's VLF systems create a bit of a man-made magnetosphere deflecting charged particles.
Old 06-07-17, 04:23 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
Originally Posted by spoogenet
If the Clipperton Island is uninhabited, to whom would you be speaking?

Good summary of what ham radio can be about, and a kind reminder that our world is large and diverse, and the "common" means of communication vary with locale.

Off topic, but read an interesting article lately how the Navy's VLF systems create a bit of a man-made magnetosphere deflecting charged particles.
There are a number of uninhabited islands where amateur HAM radio enthusiasts travel in order to set up one or more HAM radio stations in order to make contact with other operators around the world. Sometimes the expense to accomplish such a feat can run well into 6-figures and is shared by the participants. This is known as a DXpedition.

As for Clipperton Island, below is a lengthy video of a DXpedition to that tiny, uninhabited island in the Northeast Pacific Ocean for the sole purpose of setting up temporary stations (radio gear, antennas, generators, etc.) to make contact with other amateur HAM radio operators.

Of the 339 'DXCC Most Wanted List' you can see that Clipperton Island is ranked 65th, with the U.S.A. ranked 339th (or last) because we have so many licensed operators in the U.S. I just chose Clipperton Island as an example, but there are 64 other locations that are more difficult to confirm making 'QSO' contact with, many of which are also uninhabited islands and reefs that are actually underwater at high tide...or countries (like DPR Korea) that prohibit their people from having and/or operating a HAM Radio station, with certain death being the punishment.

Here are a few other rare DXpedition locations:

A nice video about HAM Radio DXing and DXpeditions

Last edited by bclexus; 06-07-17 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-07-17, 04:50 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

This thread makes me want to climb into the attic and dust off the old paddles, Hammarlund receiver and Heathkit HF transmitter. Nice to see that my old hobby is alive and well.
Old 06-09-17, 08:51 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm not active at the moment, but wish I could figure out how to install a rig in my 98 GS400. Just no easy good place for a rig up front.....
Old 02-04-18, 12:54 PM
sliderule0
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been looking at the Icom IC-7000 as a good choice. I want 6M/2M as well as HF. Understanding that with the current solar flux, my only choices are 20M/40M and 80M. Unfortunately, those antennas are a bit inefficient at typical mobile lengths. I was wondering if it is possible to port the screen to the main screen.

I looked through the manual, but didnt see any prohibitions regarding HF gear. I really am only interested in 100W or so. 2M is really not an issue as a rig I have (Kenwood G707) has a detachable head. Looking at some others such as 706G and Icom 7000. Car is still under warranty, but dont want to have anything denied because of an RF issue....

That is some excellent DX. I only have a couple of them. Right now I am stuck at 276. I just got Afghanistan confirmed on 40M CW using a simple vertical, but ARRL doesnt have any documentation....