RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

450h comfort for drivers with long legs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-17, 04:18 PM
MikeInOr
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 450h comfort for drivers with long legs?

Hello, I am new to your great forum and have found tons of great information here... Thank you!

I don't buy cars often and when I buy one I expect it to last! My 2003 Nissan Maxima with 287K mi just blew the radiator... it is time to get something a little newer (I purchased the Maxima in 2005 with 27K mi on it)... and still enjoy driving it!

I live in central Oregon and there is not a great selection of used cars around here. I have decided to go with a hybrid this time... mainly to save on gas... I only buy used. Comfort is high on my list as is reliability. After a lot of research the Avalon hybrid popped up on my radar. I went to the local Toyota dealer and test drove a new 2017 non-hybrid Avalon and a 2017 Camry hybrid (There are no Avalon hybrids around here and the Toyota dealer doesn't even try to get them in). The Camry hybrid isn't as peppy as my old Maxima but I am thinking the Toyota drive train is peppy enough. The non-hybrid Avalon was a very nice ride but the leg room for my 35" inseam was about a 1/2" short and the steering wheel would not extend out from the dash far enough for a comfortable long trip driving position. Looking for Avalon hybrids I found some RX-450h hybrids that were actually in my $20K price range. I have admired the the RX hybrids for a long time. I like that they have sufficient power, quiet, smooth and good mpg's! The closest I could find to a 2010 RX-450h locally is a 2007 RX-350 with 130K mi at a local lot. It was not well taken care of by the previous owner(s) and pretty rough inside and out. I was amazed at what a pleasure it was to drive though! Smooooooth! The only car I have ever been in that is as smooth as my 25' long crew cab Duramax!

I found a 2010 450h with 75K mi, a clean car fax, colors I like (Silver / grey), private party $19,900! ... why are there so many Black 450h's? Or are the Black ones just what people are selling. They look nice but Black isn't very practical in the central Oregon sun.

I have never test driven a 450h. I am torn between driving an hour and a half to the closest dealer 2010 450h or making the 4 hour (each way) to the private party 450h??? Reliability, comfort, mpg, power all seem to be there... my only question is weather it will fit my long legs? Is there more leg room in the Gen III than the Gen II RX's? Is $19,900 on a 75k (full loaded?????... can't tell me which trim packages it has) such a good deal that I should bypass the closer test drive and jump on the private party 450h?

I have read a mix of reviews from tall drivers in RX-450h/RS-350's. I am 6'3, 230lbs, 35" inseam. How do tall owners like the driver seat comfort of their 450h's on long trips? Even with a half hour test drive it is hard to get a sense of the comfort level on a 10 hour road trip. I am not worried about the soft suspension, the sound level, just the driver seat comfort for long legs? When I bought my 2006 Duramax 5 years ago it felt pretty good... 5 years later it is the most comfortable vehicle I have ever owned and a 10 hour road trip is nothing! What trim package came with the adjustable leg/thigh support on the driver's seat?

Last edited by MikeInOr; 06-09-17 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-09-17, 04:47 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

I drive 2015 RX hybrid. I am only 6' tall, legs inseam is only 32", weighs 160 lbs. Coming from Bimmer X5 I had to get used to the height difference between two vehicles. Seat has many adjustment possibilities. Try to adjust the seat when you try the 450h out. Seat is too soft for my liking. ,Also being hybrid AWD system is different from that of RX350. Snow mode in hybrid as an example. I live in Calgary so I had to get used to the difference in the winter. You mentioned saving gas but GX460 has more comfy bigger/wider seats. I am used to Acura SH-AWD, Audi Quattro, Bimmer X-drive. But once one familiarizes with the difference it is not bad whatever system you have.
Old 06-09-17, 05:34 PM
MikeInOr
Rookie

Originally Posted by Htony
I drive 2015 RX hybrid. I am only 6' tall, legs inseam is only 32", weighs 160 lbs. Coming from Bimmer X5 I had to get used to the height difference between two vehicles. Seat has many adjustment possibilities. Try to adjust the seat when you try the 450h out. Seat is too soft for my liking. ,Also being hybrid AWD system is different from that of RX350. Snow mode in hybrid as an example. I live in Calgary so I had to get used to the difference in the winter. You mentioned saving gas but GX460 has more comfy bigger/wider seats. I am used to Acura SH-AWD, Audi Quattro, Bimmer X-drive. But once one familiarizes with the difference it is not bad whatever system you have.
Thank you for the reply and thoughts! Central Oregon is high desert with snowy and icy winters. My first winter here (15 years ago) I thought I was going to die with my all-season radials. My second winter here I bought studs. Yes, they tear up the roads but I have NEVER had a traction issue with studs on. My current car is FWD and goes anywhere with studs. I am guessing a AWD 450h with studs will be equally sure footed. In my opinion AWD is really only good for keeping you from getting stuck and not being able to move forwards after an icy stop light. What I really worry about is stopping and staying on the road in a turn. AWD doesn't really help with this (IMHO) but studs definitely do! To be honest I have owned several 4WD vehicles but never an AWD. When turning a FWD vehicle is actually better for maintaining grip than a 4WD because the offset turning radius of 4 wheels with no differential between front and rear wheels causes one tire to always want to break free. I know AWD does not lock the front and rear wheels together and should be better for ice traction.

Thank you for the feedback on the soft seats! It really helps to know what people who own and live with a vehicle think of it! I am still sold on the 450h but I will pay attention to the soft seats. When I test drove the Avalon I remember thinking the steering wheel should come out further... then I read several comments from people which felt the same... it made me reconsider the Avalon. I want a vehicle that I can feel comfortable in for the next 10 years... I would rather help my middle school daughter through college than purchase a series of vehicles.

Do you find the soft seats to make long trips less pleasant?

Last edited by MikeInOr; 06-09-17 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-09-17, 05:52 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,114 Likes on 722 Posts

A great time to buy a hybrid with gas at $2.20 a gallon. We bought last year like you a used 2015 RX450h and a 2013 ES300h. You don't go in a buy one when gas is four bucks a gallon. Our RX averages 29 mpg. I am 6:4 with 36 inch inseam and find it very comfortable one to get in and out of and second comfortable for a long ride. Lexus has been ranked by J D Power #1 in reliability for six years in a row. The maintenance is great. Oil change every 10,000 miles and every 30,000 miles the brake fluid needs to be changed. The cabin and engine air filter together take five minutes to change. No timing belt to change. Lexus is ranked third least expensive to maintain behind it's cousins Toyota and Scion.
http://twocents.lifehacker.com/the-c...ver-1781639773
Old 06-09-17, 07:06 PM
MikeInOr
Rookie

Originally Posted by Freds430
A great time to buy a hybrid with gas at $2.20 a gallon. We bought last year like you a used 2015 RX450h and a 2013 ES300h. You don't go in a buy one when gas is four bucks a gallon. Our RX averages 29 mpg. I am 6:4 with 36 inch inseam and find it very comfortable one to get in and out of and second comfortable for a long ride. Lexus has been ranked by J D Power #1 in reliability for six years in a row. The maintenance is great. Oil change every 10,000 miles and every 30,000 miles the brake fluid needs to be changed. The cabin and engine air filter together take five minutes to change. No timing belt to change. Lexus is ranked third least expensive to maintain behind it's cousins Toyota and Scion.
Thank you for the feed back. It is good to know long legs are compatible with the RX450h!

I do 6K oil changes on my Maxima, always with synthetic. 10K intervals is awfully nice. What is with 30K brake fluid changes???? That seems weird? I have no problems following a 30K brake fluid change schedule... it is nice to know about going into a purchase! I know the hybrids have regenerative braking... the brake actuator on my brother in law's 2007 hybrid Camry went out at 140K. $3K to replace the actuator so he got a 2014 Camry hybrid instead of reparing the 07. Seems like there is added complexity and wear on internal brake components in the hybrid system? Brake fluid changes are going to be a lot cheaper than a $3K (or more) brake actuator change. I will cheak carfaxes for proper brake fluid changes before buying.

I bought my big ol Crew cab Chevy Duramax Diesel 5 or so years ago at $4.50/gal at the height of the depression... it has actually gone up in value. That is a first for me!!!!

I was a bit taken aback at hybrid prices when I started looking this week. They all seemed under valued?!?!?!?! Kind of made me feel like something was wrong. I assumed it must be the low gas prices and everyone is buying Escalades. It is nice to know someone else is interperting the market the same way. $2.50/gal or $4.50/gal, saving gas is saving money! My gf used to have a 08 Camry hybrid... it was pretty amazing driving down to SanFrancisco and back on a tank and a half. It wasn't sporty at all but I really liked that car! I think a RX450h will be even better and pretty close in mpg to the gen 1 hybrids.

I am heavily considering taking the 4 hour trip to the $19,900 74K 450h tomorrow... even though Ihave never driven one. I have a good feeling about the private party seller and the next closest 450h in the range is 1000+ mi away. I didn't really consider a 450h would be in my price range... although I have always liked them. Lexus' reliability reputation IS one of if not the top factor in buying a RX450h!

No timing belt to change? Is the cam shaft gear or chain driven? I am curious now... I will have to look it up. 280K on my Maxima and I never had to change the timing belt... when I asked about it the mechanic told me it has a timing chain that will last the life of the engine.

Last edited by MikeInOr; 06-09-17 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-09-17, 07:43 PM
tn7con
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

The main reason for hybrid prices "seemed under valued" is fear of being hit with hybrid battery replacement cost. If you research hybrid battery replacement cost, you will see that some hybrid vehicles are good, some are not as far as hybrid battery reliability is concerned and the replacement cost reaches up ward of $10000 including labor.

Last edited by tn7con; 06-09-17 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-09-17, 07:51 PM
tn7con
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Starting with the 2007 model year, with the introduction of the 3.5L v6, timing chain is used instead of timing belt so no timing belt to change....
Old 06-09-17, 10:53 PM
MikeInOr
Rookie

Originally Posted by TN7CON
The main reason for hybrid prices "seemed under valued" is fear of being hit with hybrid battery replacement cost. If you research hybrid battery replacement cost, you will see that some hybrid vehicles are good, some are not as far as hybrid battery reliability is concerned and the replacement cost reaches up ward of $10000 including labor.
Very true, one of the less informed guys at work insists I will be sorry if I buy the hybrid because of the battery. He also insists that the batteries in hybrids aren't recycled and dumped in landfills making hybrids and electrics less enviromentally friendly than straight internal combustion vehicles.... even though he has no concept that there is a difference between nickel metal hydride and lithium ion technology. He also thinks that a Camaro is an awsome car! I stopped trying to expand his views a long time ago. I think gas prices also factors into the perceived value as fear of technology seems to go down as gas prices go up.

I spent a lot of time trying to find recurring problems with the RX-450h... everything I found points to a very solid car throughout. I found alternatives to dealer battery replacements on other hybrids but only found a couple mentions of battery replacement on the RX-450h which were taken care of under warranty and included the inverter and electric motor in the replacement.

I am pleased to hear Toyota believes in timing chains instead of belts.... not that timing chains are indestructable... they do seem to be more indestructable than timing chains of old. I am guessing they stack more rows on the chains to improve their longevity.

Last edited by MikeInOr; 06-09-17 at 11:02 PM.
Old 06-12-17, 12:47 AM
MikeInOr
Rookie

I am guessing there are others like me who research a car thoroughly before purchasing so I will report my impressions from my test drive.

I got a good hour plus butt time in a 2010 RX-450h today. (Immediately after a 3 hour ride in my Crew cab Silverado to get to the RX-450h). The 2007 RX I test drove previously was a little short on leg room for me (As was the 2016 Avalon I test drove) and I feared the 450h would be similar. I was very pleased with the leg room, the seating position and the comfort of the standard 8 way adjustable seat! The headrest was too far forwards, intrusive and a definite problem. I will definitely have to take the driver side headrest to an upholstery shop to have padding removed from the front then have the leather resewn with a slimer profile. As it comes stock the headrest forces my head forward and down in an uncomfortable position. The RX-450h I test drove had 98K miles and vented seats. I read some owners have had issues with not sitting evenly on the vented seats and feeling like they were bottoming out on the vent control built into the seat. I specifically looked for this and adjusted the seat so all my weight was on my sit bones for a while... I did not detect any discomfort.

A problem I had with the Avalon (besides leg room) was the steering wheel did not come back far enough. This did not allow me to rest my elbows while driving which causes my shoulders to get tired on a long trip. The RX steering wheel both lowers farther into my lap and comes back farther towards me which allowed me to find a comfortable driving position with supported elbows and relaxed shoulders. The power steering wheel adjust raises the steering wheel and retracts it when turning off the vehicle... this is a nice touch if not somewhat frivolous. I would consider the power adjust steering wheel a negative as it is just another motor to break but the Lexus reputation of quality and engineer makes this little perk a plus.

I have a 35" inseam. The seat went back far enough for me to extend my legs plus maybe an additional 1/4"... a rare luxury with my legs. At full seat tilt I had sufficient thigh support. My 12 year old daughter was comfortable in the back seat behind me but didn't have much leg room. This is pretty much the case in every car we have test driven except the Avalon. She usually sits in the rear passenger side seat for additional leg room. My daughter LOVED the reclining rear seat!

My previous vehicle was a 2003 Nissan Maxima. Seat comfort was a major factor in the decision to buy a Maxima (and living with it for 13 years during which I always enjoyed driving the Mamima). The RX seat was as comfortable if not more comfortable than my Maxima. I also own a 2006 Crew Cab Duramax Silverado. My Duramax is smoother, more comfortable, has more leg room and a better more upright seating position! It is also 25 feet long and gets 20mpg hignway on a good day. A short wheel base car is always going to be a rougher ride than a 25' truck with front independent suspension. The 450h is a rougher ride... but not by much... and I think it is comparable to the smoothest cars I have ever driven while being better handling than American boats. It turns tighter than my Maxima (turn radius is a weakness of the 2003 Maxima). The RX held the road very well, didn't feel tippy and didn't roll noticeably in corners... a very impressive ride. The RX is not a sporty ride but it definitely is not a boat either! Acceleration from a stop and when passing on the 450h was very good. My Maxima feels faster both off the line and passing but the sport tuned suspension gives a greater feel of speed. The smooth suspension of the RX makes 80mph feel like 60mph, it is quite deceiving. The 2016 Avalon hybrid was peppy but I fear I would miss the acceleration of my Maxima. The RX was quieter than the Avalon and had less road noise. I think I will be very happy with the performance (acceleration and passing ability) of the RX-450h and not miss me beloved Maxima... too much.

My legs are long, my torso is average (6'3" tall 220lbs), I did not have any head clearance issues with the sunroof on the RX.

I have decided that I am going to pursue purchasing a 450h based on my test drive. If I can find the 12 way adjustable seat in my price range I will be thrilled!!!!.... but I am not optimistic about finding one and believe the standard 8 way seat will server me well.

Last edited by MikeInOr; 06-12-17 at 12:56 AM.
Old 06-12-17, 07:33 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Mike:

I just ran across this thread or would have commented earlier.

First, welcome to CL! You're in a good spot here with a lot of knowlegable and helpful folks.

Second, I believe you have reached an excellent conclusion. Your searching and investigation is very, very similar to mine from last July/August which ended with our purchase of a 2010 450h with 72K miles on it. We LOVE it. Be patient, and you'll find your RXh in your price range with lower miles. You may have to drive a ways to get it, but you have the means of easily towing it back home. Ours was purchased from over 3 hours away and towed home behind my '02 F250 CC 7.3L diesel... it was a piece of cake!

Seats... We also have the vented seats in our RXh. My wife is tiny (5'1" at 95 lbs), and I'm a very wide framed guy, but not as tall as you (6'0 at 240 lbs). I've been driving my F250 every day for the past 10-1/2 years, most of those years doing roughly 20K miles/year. My wife was leaving a '03 Excursion 7.3L diesel to step into the 450h we bought. She had spent 10 years driving the Excursion, and the previous 9 years was with a full sized Suburban. You're right in that those huge 7500-8000 lb vehicles ride like a dream, and I've been spoiled with that comfy ride. With that context, the RXh fits BOTH of us beautifully for all the reasons which you've already delineated. I guess it's my width and heavier weight, though, which requires that I remove my wallet for long highway drives in excess of an hour. Otherwise, my right hip begins to ache and my right rear cheek begins to burn. Wallet out, though, and the ride is simply lovely with no discomfort at all. I haven't done 10 hours on it yet, but 6-7 hours has not been an issue for me at all. We will get a chance for an 11-12 hour drive this fall though when we go see my son and daughter-in-law after the birth of their first child.

On the cornering, I can offer some insight on a fairly low-priced improvement if you do find the cornering (body roll) to be less than ideal for you. I installed a set of 20mm spacers on mine right after getting it, and even as well as Lexus has managed to make their drivers fell less connected with the road in the RX's, my wife noticed the change immediately. Good leveling effect in the corners, but it does impart a higher degree of lateral force on the driver and passenger as would be expected when the vehicle gets flattened. Since my wife is so small, I actually have to be very careful to not take the corners as I would otherwise when by myself because she will actually slide across the seat bottom while the vehicle is not rolling at all. She does NOT like that at all, so I just choose to enjoy the wider stance and improved stability when I'm by myself or when one of my son's is riding with me... when I can get away with a more aggressive driving style!

The spacers I chose (H&R hub-centered units) are bolted into the hubs using the original studs with new nuts, and the wheel mounting studs on the spacers are the same length as the original wheel studs. I did not have to trim the OEM studs at all as the 20mm thick spacers have an adequately deep countersink so that the nuts do not ride above the external surface of the spacer enough to contact the stock wheel at all. This means that you are not using longer studs which would increase the radial strain on the bolts, so you have a very secure bolting arrangement. I talked with several mechanical engineers at my engineering firm, and they all confirmed that this arrangement has mechanical advantages over a simple slip-on spacer with longer mounting studs). Here is a link to the thread where CL members get a discount>>> https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...todesigns.html. I've been very happy with the quality of their product and the results from installing them.

Last edited by F250; 06-12-17 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-12-17, 09:01 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Good choice. I don't have my RX anymore, but found it to be a very comfortable road-tripper.

I am not tall, at 5'10", but am all legs, as I have a 36" inseam. I never, ever have head room issues, but leg room is a challenge, and I always found our RX to be comfortable.
Old 06-12-17, 09:45 AM
MikeInOr
Rookie

Thank you guys for the feed back! When researching a car I am, of course, looking for people that have problems with the model I am researching... and of course people are much more likely to post complaints than they are to post praise. It is reassuring to hear all the comments from happy RX owners and pretty impressive the number of owners that are happy to share their love for their vehicle! It is also pretty amazing how hard it is to find complaints about the RX!

I am corresponding with a dealer in SanFrancisco that has a 2011 with 72k, HID headlights, rear seat entertainment package and park assist (derived from the VIN decoder) for under $20k. It has everything I want (I would be fine with a base model) except for AWD. Central Oregon gets a fair amount of snow and ice... but I have been driving a front wheel drive car (Maxima) for 13 years without issue (studs are allowed here and make a huge difference). I would prefer AWD but think I can continue to get along fine with FWD and studs.

JDR76 - How does your Highlander Hybrid stack up against your RX-350? I know it has more room and a 3rd row seat... was your reason for changing for extra room? (The RX has plenty of room for my daughter and I.) I have not test driven a Highlander hybrid but it was on my list. The RX test drive this weekend sold me on the RX... but it is always nice to hear opinions from people that have owned 2 of the vehicles I am considering.

F250 - Thank you for the information on the wheel spacers! I am aware of the stability benefits of a wider track but have never considered wheel spacers. If I find myself disappointed in the cornering of the RX450h I will consider wheel spacers. I am used to some what sporty handling in my Maxima. I felt the body roll and handling of the RX was pretty good during my test drive... but it is hard to say until I am driving it every day on the curvy back roads on the way to work. While researching I have read through some of your other posts and noted we are in similar situations which has reassured me of my choice. P.S. My Ford is a 67 F100 with a 300 straight six and is mainly used for dump runs and bark dust / compost.

Last edited by MikeInOr; 06-12-17 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-12-17, 10:26 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Mike:

That 300 straight six is a killer engine, but there is also no way on God's green earth to get great fuel economy from it. I had one in a single cab '85 F150 which was mated to a 4-speed manual which I drove for about 12 years (no A/C, driving in Augusta GA and southeast Texas). It was a good truck, but after upgrading to my current crew cab F250 with leather and a bone-chilling A/C, I would never go back!

On the spacers, I had never considered using them either before getting the RXh, but like I said, I'm very pleased with their design and the improved stability they provide. Honestly, they actually became part of "the plan" even before purchasing the RXh just because of the reports I had seen here in CL regarding their assistance with cornering. With the spacers, the tire sidewalls are also now flush with the exterior body panels, and I like the look it gives the RX... it even looks more "planted". At the same time, they do not stick out past the fenders, so there is no excessive road spray picked up from the tires onto the body side panels. The roads we travel here in Birmingham are also quite curvy, especially going the 2.5 miles deep into and out of our neighborhood, and are simultaneously quite hilly as well. Folk who are not from around here are quite surprised to think of (or see) Birmingham having hilly and curvy roads, but they are certainly here... even more so what we experienced when living in Lynchburg, VA, which is in the foot hills off the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Old 06-12-17, 10:36 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeInOr
JDR76 - How does your Highlander Hybrid stack up against your RX-350? I know it has more room and a 3rd row seat... was your reason for changing for extra room? (The RX has plenty of room for my daughter and I.) I have not test driven a Highlander hybrid but it was on my list. The RX test drive this weekend sold me on the RX... but it is always nice to hear opinions from people that have owned 2 of the vehicles I am considering.
We are very, very happy with our Highlander, thanks for asking.

The RX had, overall, a more elegant and upscale appearance to the interior (chrome, real wood, etc.) but for us, the Highlander's 3rd row sealed the deal. We were a family of 3 when we bought the RX. At that time, the three of us plus my folks, for example, could all go out in the RX and not have to take two cars. Then when our son was born, we no longer had that option. For this reason we wanted a third row to use on those occasions and it's been great.

The Highlander has more features that we couldn't get on the RX, like the panoramic sunroof, lane departure alert, rear cross traffic alert, heated second row captain's chairs and rear HVAC controls, etc. So that's nice to have.

It's not a direct comparison since our RX was a 350 and our Highlander is a hybrid, but it doesn't take long behind the wheel to know they're related.

Had the RX been available with a 3rd row, we'd probably still have it, but no regrets thus far with the Highlander. In fact, we're thinking of buying out a lease so we can keep it longer than the 3 years we had planned.
Old 06-12-17, 10:52 AM
MikeInOr
Rookie

Originally Posted by JDR76
We are very, very happy with our Highlander, thanks for asking.
Thank you for contrasting the Highlander vs the RX! It is really helpful to get the opinion of someone that has owned both!

Quick Reply: 450h comfort for drivers with long legs?